What's new

OK, now that you've had a chance to use em, what are your favorite Mobile Apps (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
So far I am SHOCKED at MLB at Bat. This is so much better than I expected that I encourage anyone who is even remotely interested in baseball to buy it!

Cube Runner and Pangae VR really show how cool the accelerometer is without having to pay for something like Super Monkey Ball.

Still digging through the ones I'm trying, but those three and Life really shocked me at how cool they are. What are you digging on?

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I've already sung the praises of Apple's free Remote.

I'm also enjoying Apple's Texas Hold 'Em, a very polished and fun poker game that is well worth the $4.99 they're charging. One drawback for those whose devices are getting low on memory - this one uses 128MB, by far the biggest of the apps I've yet tried.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Flip your Touch into horizontal position. You get an overhead table view sans the videos. The game plays much faster in this mode - plus it packs in a lot more on-screen info on game status (you see names for the "players", the size of their pots, who's in or out on the current hand, etc.).

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Really enjoying Monkeyball though it drains the battery.

The other apps are fairly good, but honestly, there is nothing
that I continually go back to time and time again. The closest
apps that have repeat value for me are NEWS items such as
The New York Times

I do find myself checking iTunes daily for the addition of new
apps, but it seems like there have been none added recently.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Unfortunately, I think this is going to be true for most of the graphically intensive games. Hold 'Em & Bejeweled 2 suck down the juice as well. May be time to pick up a Juice Pack...

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
I haven't had much time to try many out, but the free AOL radio app is fantastic.

Anyone find a twitter app they like?

-Keith

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
I installed Shazam last night and it seems to work amazingly well. Basically, it lets your iPhone listen to a song that is playing from an external source (radio, TV, etc), then it identifies the name of the song and the artist. It also gives you the option of then purchasing the song through the iTunes store.

I have only tried it on a few songs to test it out but so far it has been 100% accurate.

-Keith

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i like the mlb app but it really needs to be updated to add stats/oxscore.
right now all it has is the innings and current pitchers and 1 or 2 other 'stats"

the video is great though if there is video available, no video for tonights all-star game.

i like aol radio. for local all sports talk. but not sure if it is better then flytunes because i can pause the flytnes stream.

i cant figure out the control of the monkey ball.

"where' doesnt work.

aim is not bad, very simple.

dial zero looks like it will be very useful for me.

a couple seem pretty useless like
ipint
simstapler

the light saber thing and the one that makes bouncy noises when you move the iphone.

pandora seems like a good idea ut not enough songs from the group that the "station" is based on.

pocketpedia looks like the one i'll use the most so i can have a list of the dvds i have.

i wonder if it will become synchable with the fall dvd pedia.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i have that.

i also need to figure out why i'm making all the blocks fall away

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

Is that Aurora Feint? It looked interesting (and confusing). I may have to give it a try.

I'll add to the chorus praising Apple's Remote. I find it so cool that I can be sitting on my couch with my "phone" controlling my iTunes library as it streams to my PS3 and out over my HT setup. That's just crazy.

I also like Weather Bug. It's not mind blowing or anything, but it does give me more info.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Downloaded Aurora. Looks cool on the outset, but really need
instructions of some sort as I have no idea how to play.

....and honestly, I have a love/hate relationship with these games.
They are quite cool, excellent time killers, but they drain the battery.

I tend not to play them because I can't get through a day of without
my battery going dead.

I can't wait till September when the 3G Juice Pack comes out.

Phil Kim

Stunt Coordinator
My most frequently used apps (all free):
  • Aurora Feint: Very unstable but visually stimulating variation of Bejeweled. RPG elements are interesting although I am not quite sure how these elements come into play. My rating: 4.5 out of 5
  • Bloomberg: Although not without issues (e.g., lack of integration with Bloomberg website, no grouping), it is far more capable of stock tracker than iPhone's built-in Stock.app. My rating: 3.5
  • Dial Zero: While it won't win any beauty contest, I find this app to be immensely useful. Would be even better if it could search your own contacts too, however (like Google). My rating: 3.5
  • Morocco: Simple Reversi/Othello game. Would be nicer with some sound effect, clearer UI, and remembering the settings, but great and quick time killer. My rating: 3
  • NetNewsWire: The app has a ton of issues (e.g., cannot hide read messages, cannot mark multiple messages as read, breadcrumb issue, no landscape mode), but by far my most frequently used app. And given the developer's integrity and history, I am sure most of my issues will be addressed eventually. My rating: 4
  • SportsTap: Although the UI isn't great, especially breadcrumb trail running on the bottom, this app is simply a must for any sports fan. My rating: 3.5

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Actually, not Apple selling Juice Pack.

There are cheaper power alternatives, but this comes highly rated.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks