What's new

OK, now since we have DD dts(EX , ES) THX, SDDS, are we done yet? (1 Viewer)

Keir H

Second Unit
Have we finally reached the limit of surround sound processing modes? I just cannot see it getting much better. Oh! Maybe HD DD, dts, ect....?? Do you guys think that they'll add ceiling speakers for another surround sound processing mode in the future? When does the madness stop!? I myself, hope it doesn't!

Marvin E

Stunt Coordinator
I believe the next phase will be an extension of DTS ES Discrete with discrete processing for BOTH rear surround speakers; maybe a new "DTS ES Discrete II" Format. Ultimately, I think we will end up with some type of 10.2-channel audio sound stage currently promoted by TMH Corp.'s Tomlinson Holman.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Don't forget THX Ultra2. 7.1 with decorrelation for the 2 center rear speakers, among other things...

Personally, I would hope that there aren't any more new format/modes/whatever for a little while. Will give all the manufacturers a chance to "get it right" with the currently available sound fields.

Vishwa Somayaji

Stunt Coordinator
I have been thinking about this seriously for the last little while as I am getting into a good prepro/receiver myself. I do not have the crystal ball and cannot say where it will end. However, for me I am going to make a decision very soon as I am quite happy with something like logic 7 or THX ultra 2. My reasoning is as follows. The future channels are most likely going to be some kind of a matrix. Just as you can rig a 6th channel from 5 channels, the future channels could be rigged from the 6.1 or 7.1. From about 1994 when true 5.1 channels were introduced, there has been the addition of only one more discrete channel in terms of DTS ES discrete. Everything else is some kind of a matrix/DSP. The next logical step would be a true 7.1 of some kind. The so called height channel will most likely be a matrix between L+C or R+C or L+R+C etc.

The only other monkey wrench that can be thrown into the upgradeable receiver/prepro arena is Sony's SDDS with 8 or more discrete channels. They have the muscle and movies to back it up if necessary. Who knows.

Until then my feeling is that there will be improvement in the delivery of the signal as evidenced by the DenonLink and other digital channels. I have controlled myself for a long time and I am not going to wait too much. I will be happy with 7.1 for a long time. I am sure there will be some improvement in THX ultra 2 capable receivers/prepros.

Looking back I probably have not expressed my feelings exactly as I feel but close enough. I have been waiting to read some report on Outlaw 950 the very first one I read was about a video problem. I am too depressed.

MarkO

Second Unit
I stoped at 5.1 Its just getting way out of hand with all these new formats that never really get off the ground.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
Have we reached the limit of surround sound processing modes? No way, there is always something bigger and better to look forward to. The next generation of av equipment will need some new bells and whistles to tempt consumers into an upgrade.

I read a report in Home Theater Magazine that Tom Holman (the TH in THX) has demoed a-hold your breath-10.2 channel system !! Personally, I'm with Mark. I've got 5.1 now and I might go to 6.1 when I get a bigger place, but that's my limit.

Jason

Marvin E

Stunt Coordinator
The manufacturers are producing hardware before the software is available. The strategy is interesting: enhance the current 5.1 format with new DSP modes like Dolby Prologic II and DTS NEO and add 6.1 formats like DD EX or DTS ES, and there you have it: the next generation of hardware. Right now there isn't that much software available to support the new formats, but that will change. As sales increase, you will see more re-releases of movies like the "Haunting" which was remixed in DTS ES Discrete.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Ahhh, but most of the newer pre/pros (Outlaw and Rotel so far at least) do have modes that "expand" 2.0 (DPL) and 5.1 (DD/DTS) flics to take advantage of a 6.1 or 7.1 speaker set up.
"Software? I don't need no stinkin' software!" :)

BrentMann

Auditioning
Just to play devil's advocate to those who say "X.X is enough"... Ask yourself, what did you say with your first vcr/pro-logic setup? I told the wife that was enough, no need to spend any more money... i've been sitting at 6.1 for a few months now, and I can't for "the next big thing"

Marvin E

Stunt Coordinator
Ahhh, but most of the newer pre/pros (Outlaw and Rotel so far at least) do have modes that "expand" 2.0 (DPL) and 5.1 (DD/DTS) flics to take advantage of a 6.1 or 7.1 speaker set up.
That's right. We can still take advantage of 6.1 and 7.1 while we wait for the remixes or the new releases.

I agree: "I don't need no stinkin' software!" :b

MarkO

Second Unit
those who say "X.X is enough"... Ask yourself, what did you say with your first vcr/pro-logic setup? I told the wife that was enough, no need to spend any more money...
Back in the pro logic daze, I had those no-name cardboard surrounds and missmatched low-fi center and mains. I had no clue what I was doing. (life was much simpler then :) )

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
I'm happy I waited for the "updated" modes that the current crop of receivers offers, e.g., Dolby Pro-Logic 2, DD EX and DTS ES (though those last two are proprietary decoding, not THX, on my Marantz SR6200 to keep the costs down). I didn't want to spend the cash for THX Ultra-2, so I'm satisfied with my current setup, which takes advantage of 6.1 DVDs. I don't see DVDs being shipped with anything more than 6.1 yet (and not in the near future).

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
I have stopped at 5.1 for now (the only reason I would upgrade my pre/pro is for quality of sound NOT quantity!!)

at some point people have to ask themselves, "is the amount of $$ I put into 2 extra speakers, 2 channels of amps, 2 extra speaker cables, 2 extra interconnects, going to make a bigger difference than if I used ALL of that $$$ to upgrade my mains or other components", my answer for ME personally is-NO (unless one has unlimited funds).

I love 5.1 DVD concerts, but sometmes I wonder if I put all that $$$ into an awesome 2.0 (or 2.1 if you add the sub) system, would it sound even better (I think it just might). (in other words, take my $$ from my Rotel 3X150 amp that I use for Center and surrounds, and the $$ from my B&Ws for center and surround and I could go from a CDM7NT mains to 804s and from a Marsh/Rotel combo to an even better amp, etc, etc....). Perhaps I get part of this thinking from my father who use to design high end car audio systems (not boom boxes!!!) and he would always tell me that more speakers isn't always better.

I know in HT the more channels provide differnt effects and in most cases are descrete, but beyond 5.1 is it really "better"??, I have yet to really convince myself that it is worth it to ignore the other components and upgrade to MORE.

just my opinion (flame suit is on, flame away)

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
I hope not.

I'd be pretty disappointed if we're stuck with just lossy compression schemes for movies, especially as storage space keepd increasing.

How about 7.1 discrete DSD or 24 bit/192 kHz PCM?

Dan

Matt_Sulli

Agent
chrisag, i've heard that both matrix 2 and episode 2 are going to be released with 7.1 encoding, but i agree with you for the most part, 7.1 dvd's are going to be almost nonexistant for the next year or so

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
A "7.1" DVD would necessitate a new format. And more than likely, new DVD player EEPROMs, ROMs, etc. Along with new receiver/pre pro hardware.

THX Ultra2 is not really a 7.1 format. Takes the normal monophonic rear center channels and simply applies decorrelation (a la "normal" THX processing) to get non-mono rears.

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
I also stopped (for the time being) at 5.1
I have a goofy reason that I might upgrade to 7. My rears are floor-standers that get caught behind the couch if you're sitting in the first row. I can still hear them and sound effects are fine, but that ambience that is meant to envelop you is somewhat lost. I might get a couple of wall mount speakers to place a bit higher up to try to re-inforce the rear sound.
Especially if I buy a Lexicon. You people and your Logic 7 making me jealous 'n' shit. :D

Keir H

Second Unit
I could just see most of the wifes out there...giving us all the "evil eye" when they see us on the step ladder mounting ceiling speakers or "height channels" :). This will not end with 7.1 folks, my bet. :)

Stephen Houdek

Second Unit
Real Name
S
This is an evil plot by speaker manufacturers to get all of you to buy walls full of speakers and have you believe it actually sounds better!

Resist.....I'm all for going back to two channel stereo.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks