What's new

OK, now let's talk about "MAY"! ( w/A psychological decathlon that you'll appreciate) (1 Viewer)

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Yeah, I really enjoyed this one too. Mostly because of the performance by Bettis. She was pretty good in "The Toolbox Murders," too, but I liked "May" a bit more overall than that one.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Yes, Faris aside the main draw of the film is the sad performance by Bettis, as I clumsily said in the linked thread she gave a very sympathetic character while doing things that are definitely not sympathetic....none of the people who met bad ends were particularly bad...in fact the main male leading roll behaved in a way that I personally identified with..."hey look, I like you but....whoa!"
I understood where he was coming from completely.

Poor girl.

I have met girls, if not exactly like this, then certainly in the whole "wounded dove" aspect and you want to reach out to them out of sympathy but if they are attractive then often the male ego kicks in and you want other things out of the relationship....it can get nasty and you certainly don't want to hurt them so you try to make it non-sexual, 9 times out of 10 it doesn't work and they wind up getting hurt anyway...horror aspects aside the film taps into very well known uncomfortable situations in life, whether from the female or male side of things...it is a very effective human tragedy.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
A very interesting weekend for me, last night I watched May for the first time, and now tonight I watched The Toolbox Murders for the first time, and here's the kicker...I had zero clue that they both starred Angela Bettis!

Quite a spooky coincindence, I don't know whether to laugh or be creeped out by that. So, she was the killer in one film and the victim in the other!
Talk about things balancing themselves out! :eek:

The Toolbox Murders rocked BTW, very tense and the killer was original, not to mention brutal as all hell! :frowning:

BTW, Anna Faris is a natural blonde, she dyed her hair for the Scary Movie series. Nice pic, Kevin. :emoji_thumbsup:

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Is she? I didn't know that....I would have thought she was a "Dishwater Blonde" if anything (non-descript brown).

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I wasn't doubting you on that John, she just didn't strike me as a natural blonde, the brunette color fit her well IMO....but then again I have an affinity for brunettes so I guess I am biased. :)

For example I think Jenny Mccarthy was much hotter as a brunette:

:exposed flesh aside I think the dark hair brings out the blue eyes in a way that I like.....but that's me.;)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Hmm....I see that someone who obviously read this thread resurrected Weinberg's old thread....this thread might be in jeopardy of being closed.....just a head's up.

Perhaps too many girly pictures, eh? :D

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I wasn't doubting you on that John
I know, I was merely providing the source for my statement. Also, that's just a great site, I visit it quite often. :emoji_thumbsup:

Also, I don't mind if this thread gets closed, I did what I set out to do, I either launched or resurrected people's interest in this fine film.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Well there's a good idea....er...actually you would think that I would have noticed by now that this practice has been a pretty common & even handed way of taking care of the multiple threads problem around the HTF lately.

...then again you would also think that I could have found another pic of a brunette Jenny McCarthy where she had all of her clothes on....:D

In regards to May, I loved all of the nod's to Dario Argento throughout the film, even in the horrible climax there was a decided "Suspiria" feel to it all.

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor
John,

I'm happy I recommended a jem to you. Nothing worse then recommending a movie you think is good and the other person ends up hating it. I always feel so guilty when I do that.

I might have to watch this movie again sometime...I think I've forgotten some parts... no pun intended. LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks