What's new

OK, now let's talk about "MAY"! ( w/A psychological decathlon that you'll appreciate) (1 Viewer)

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
I noticed this is a Trimark disc...not trying to be a sourpuss, but do we know for sure whether the disc is OAR or not?
If it's anything like Lions Gate's (they bought out Trimark over a year ago) previous releases so far this year, it should include an anamorphic widescreen transfer and some extras.

I'm sure it won't get a theatrical release here in Vegas, but I will pick up the DVD on 7/15. :)

FredK

Second Unit
Read Ebert's review on friday and caught Scott's post earlier today then convinced the wife to walk on over to RiverEast 21 tonight and of course... it wasn't showing! Asked them if they had it at all this weekend or if it's coming and nope. Guess it'll have to be a blind buy, but I love seeing these things in a theater. Unfortunately some further research proves it won't be shown at all in Chicago.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Ack! Sorry Fred! I assumed that those theater listings were accurate. Hope you dig the movie whenever you do get to see it.

At least you got a nice walk out of it. ;)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Upon further review, Fred:

My friend Erik assures me that May is showing at the AMC River East! And he's in Chicago! How very weird...

Maybe call tomorrow and talk to a manager?

Claire Panke

Second Unit
If Roeper doesn't like May, that's as good as a recommendation! (The guy has no taste and he's not articulate.)

Don't suppose this will reach Naptown but our independent art house is always looking for interesting fare. I'll suggest it.

BTW, if I had to classify it, I'd call Frailty a psychological thriller, not a horror movie. (I liked Frailty quite a bit, but I'm *not* a horror fan.)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Claire,
Keep us posted on the Indy status...I'm in West Lafayette and would make the trip down to see it theatrically. As is, I've only seen a screener.

FredK

Second Unit
My friend Erik assures me that May is showing at the AMC River East! And he's in Chicago! How very weird...
Thanks Scott, I'll walk up later in the week and ask again. Could it have only shown on Friday? I only trust myself for later Sunday night, behind the counter they probably weren't sure when I asked them about other days. I didn't find any other showings in Chicago (online listings) so I'm leaning toward it should be somewhere, hopefully RE21.

edit: Good news, it's listed online for today. 4 showings a day, I'll probably see it wed or thurs. I'll be back for discussion after that!

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
For people wondering about the dvd, I found a review of it at http://firelightshocks.com/index.php...d/region1/may. It's mostly a review of the movie, and perhaps slightly heavy on the spoilers, so I'll just cut and paste the small paragraph pertaining to the dvd:

May is presented in a lovely 1.85.1 enhanced widescreen print, with pin-sharp Stereo sound. The picture never shows any signs of damage or grain and has beautifully mastered onto DVD. The extras include a a welcome running commentary track and the film’s original trailer. Lions Gate has also included a selection of trailers for forthcoming releases as well. Whilst this is not exactly a jam-packed release, May is a DVD that all Firelight Shocks readers should seriously consider adding to their collection.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Much to my delight, Lion's Gate sent me a screener as well. I can further attest to the flawless transfer, but the disc doesn't include the forthcoming audio commentary.

Plus I can't stand seeing this wonderful movie with those icky PROPERTY OF subtitles, so I'll be donating another 20 bucks to Lion's Gate come mid-July.

The DVD case does promise that the following will also be included:

"Commentary, English and Spanish subtitles, Trailer, 5.1 Dolby Digital" :)

So it looks a bit skimpy on the features, but so what. The movie's one I have to own, the audio commentary will get an immediate spin, and the A/V end is addressed quite nicely.

Color me happy.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Checked the thread to see if there were comments about Ebert and Roeper's reviews. :) Loved Ebert's closing argument with Roeper. Basically he emphatically points to the camera and says ( to the audience ) "Go see May, go see May" while Roeper is trying to get a word in. Pretty funny.

Checked the listings in Houston for River Oaks and Angelika; looks like I'll have to wait for the DVD.

- Walter.

Cary T

Screenwriter
Just saw this today. By the time the ending credits rolled in I was floored. My favorite film of 2003 thus far; knocking down The Shape of Things and L'Auberge Espagnole. The expression on May's face when she's watching Adam's short film is priceless. I'll probably watch this again before the DVD releases. Oh, and nice soundtrack too :emoji_thumbsup:

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I saw this earlier this afternoon and I really liked it. Well done by everyone involved, especially the director and Angela Bettis (who I recently found out is also Texan. Woohoo! :)). You have to be doing something right if you can make me sympathize with someone who just chopped a bunch of people up and stitched a new body together out of their dismembered parts.
:) The dark humor of the movie got some big laughs from the audience but the sadness of it also worked very well. I hate to do what everyone else is doing and compare it to Carrie, but while the movies are very different, they still had that same tragic vibe in that they're both about nice girls who were never really given a fair chance (and then they end up flipping out and killing everyone).

I was kind of surprised that the movie wasn't gorier than it was. It was gross but not as much as I was expecting from the way people talked about it (or maybe I'm just desensitized). But that's fine; I'm not a gorehound or anything. I like a little bit of grue to spice things up but I rarely like overkill :)

I probably won't make it back to another showing in the theater but I will snatch the dvd as soon as it's out!

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Cary and Andy,

I'm thrilled that you guys liked it! I just watched it on a screener disc and re-fell in love with poor May Canady. :frowning:

;)

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor
We are currently showing MAY in our theatre in Downtown Minneapolis.

Currently trying to get it booked in other locations...

It's ashame that Lion's Gate has NOT stepped to the plate and given the little film a shot.

It really has the goods to blow the doors off.

Dugger

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Just got my May DVD in the mail - a day early. :D

What a twisted little gem...

In this age of anemic and pandering horror flicks, it's refreshing to come across a movie like May. Though writer/director Lucky McGee delivers the goods, he had the sense to show some restraint - there's blood aplenty here, but it never pulls (or pushes) you out of the story.

Angela Bettis gets kudos for making May so sympathetic. In the pantheon of desperately lonely movie characters, she deserves a spot next to Carrie and Norman.

I just wanted to give her a big ol' hug. :)

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Angela Bettis gets kudos for making May so sympathetic. In the pantheon of desperately lonely movie characters, she deserves a spot next to Carrie and Norman.

I just wanted to give her a big ol' hug.
Me too. I don't know what that says about me :) As much as I liked this in the theater, I have to admit that I think the story is so intimate that it works better at home. While I was watching the dvd not too long after I got Punch-Drunk Love, it occurred to me that those two movies are almost like negative images of each other - both about maladjusted introverts but one is a pleasant romantic fantasy while the other is a grotesque tragedy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks