OK, now let's talk about "MAY"! ( w/A psychological decathlon that you'll appreciate)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Scott Weinberg, Jun 3, 2003.

1. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

If you ever paid any attention to my posts in the Movies Forum (and I really don't see why you should; I certainly don't) you may have seen me frothing and mooning over a little movie called May.

The flick has a fairly interesting (brief) history:

It was a popular 'midnight movie' selection at the 2002 Sundance Film Festival, and Lion's Gate bought worldwide rights (including home video) for an even million. (A freaking bargain if it's me you're asking...)

The film comes from first-time writer/director Lucky McKee, and it seems fairly clear that Lion's Gate had no real clue what to do with the movie. This past February they released it in a "test release" - in precisely two cities: Fresno CA and Austin TX. Through a stroke a good timing on my part, I was in Austin for the SXSW film festival while May was still playing on ONE multiplex screen.

I forced my two pals to forgo a bunch of FREE screenings at the fest so we could hop a cab to the multiplex and see this movie. Simply put, I think it's one of the best movies I've seen in years. The flick's been getting mostly VERY positive reviews from critics and fans who've seen it, and Roger Ebert himself saw it just this week. He told a colleague of mine that "it's an excellent film and one of the best horror movies since the original Halloween (!)" I'm told he'll be giving it a full four stars, as the film is opening on one Chicago screen this weekend.

I just discovered that the film will also be opening on the following dates:

05/30/2003 The Magnolia Dallas Dallas TX

06/06/2003 River East 21 Chicago IL
    06/06/2003 Cinema Village New York NY
    06/06/2003 Centerpoint 11 Theatre Tempe AZ
    06/06/2003 Century 16 Theatre - Laguna Elk Grove CA
    06/06/2003 Meridian Seattle WA

06/13/2003 Copley Place Boston MA
    06/13/2003 Inner Circle Washington DC

06/20/2003 Beverly Center Los Angeles CA
    06/20/2003 Lloyd Mall 8 Portland OR

(Thanks to www.creature-corner.com for the release info!)

Lion's Gate has set a 7/15 release date for the DVD of May. Hopefully this new limited theatrical release schedule won't delay the DVD release!

So please keep an eye out for this movie (theatrically if you're lucky enough to live near the "limited release"; on DVD if you trust my opinion even the slightest bit). You can see my review here and there are several others up at Rotten Tomatoes.

Why am I doing all this? Because I saw a movie I loved and I wanna spread the word. Matt Stone saw it recently and IMed me a big "Thank You!" for pushing the film so annoyingly.

Please stop back after you've seen it and share your own thoughts!

2. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

After checking this out on Scott's urging, I can vouch. This is an excellent, unsettling, disturbing film. I hate to simply label it as a horror film, because it's so much more than that. It's a sad personal story of a lonely girl...it's a love story...it's a lot of things. That being said, if you are a fan of the horror genre, you need to get out and see this film any way you can. Even if you don't like horror flicks, this is one to check out.

3. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Looks like I'll have to wait for the DVD release. [​IMG]

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Well, the DVD is available for pre-order. I'm pre-ordering.

5. Scott Weinberg

I didn't know that, Jack! Thanks for the (seemingly obvious yet apparently not) tip!

6. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

I've had it in my pre-release Netflix queue for a little while now. However, they have the release date listed as "unknown", which in my experience makes it uncertain as to how soon they'll actually get it even if it's available on store shelves.

Luckily, from that release list above, I do live near one of the theaters so I'll try to see it then. It doesn't hurt to have a friend who's a horror freak and he'll probably be up for seeing it [​IMG]

7. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

If it's getting great reviews and the test releases seemed to go well, why didn't Lions Gate give it a wider release?

8. Scott Weinberg

That's a GREAT question!

9. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Must be taking a cue from Dimension. [​IMG]

I was really hoping that they would pursue a wider release of this film. It is so discouraging to have several films that I hold in extremely high regard be relegated to "contractual release" status like this. Why don't they just take a chance and release it thoughout the year in a slow roll way? I mean, based on the very positive word that this has had, I would have to bet the word of mouth would carry it. Scott has certainly been a persuasive champion of the film.

Based on the release locations, DVD will be the only way I could experience it.

10. Jack Briggs

Re the pre-ordering information, according to DVD Empire the street date is July 15:

May

11. Scott Weinberg

Hey that's the same release date offered by DVD Weinberg! [​IMG]

12. Jack Briggs

You know something, Scott: My face changed to a deep shade of crimson as I read through your initial post more carefully. Please accept my apologies! Talk about stumbling, bumbling, and fumbling. [​IMG]

13. Scott Weinberg

Oh please. I'd love for you to share ANY info on this title that you happen to come across.

I just can't wait for everyone to see it!

If you guys love it, I'll feel so happy.

If y'all hate it, point your stingers at me.

14. Scott Weinberg

15. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    Looks good Scott! Look forward to checking it out.

16. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Great review! It's good to see Ebert getting behind it.

17. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Ooooooohhhhh.

Why, oh why, couldn't this get a theatrical release near me?

18. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Saw May during it's run in Austin and I'm sure I posted something about it on the Forum. Just go see it, or order the disc. As soon as the DVD comes out it will be in my collection.

19. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

I noticed this is a Trimark disc...not trying to be a sourpuss, but do we know for sure whether the disc is OAR or not? I'm assuming it is, but I'm weary of studios making bad decisions these days. I can't wait to see this film, and while I don't think it's gonna play in any theater in the state of Kansas, I can't wait for the DVD (assuming it is OAR).

20. Kirk Tsai

Kirk Tsai Screenwriter

I checked May out on Saturday mainly because of the enthusiasm of Scott, Ebert, and the internet community. I'm glad I saw this movie, but was not as blown away by it as others.

It's unsettling, but not out right terrifying because it's actually pretty funny, in a black humor way. Angela Bettis is really the show here; the range she showed in this movie reminds me of Maggie Gyllenhaal in last year's Secretary. She is tortured, shy, sexual, mad, funny, lovable all at once. Anna Faris, whom I have only seen in the first Scary Movie, impressed me too. She has an aggressive sexual energy that Scary Movie never revealed, despite its efforts. I also liked the fact that the movie pretty much takes place in a realistic world (at least for horror movies).

Perhaps the reason I don't find the movie overwhelming is just because horror films are generally not my preferred genre. The predictability factor is high, and it takes a while to get where I knew it was going. That said, I still liked the movie enough to recommend it, and I prefer it over last year's indie horror favorite Frailty. Bettis is someone to keep an eye on.