Ok, now I think it's time for HDTV(Masters)...please help.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keir H, Apr 11, 2002.

1. Keir H

Keir H Second Unit

I have a Panasonic 47wx49 HDTV (upgradeable). I need to know what is the most economical way for me to watch HD programming? I already have Directv, normal dish though. What do I need just be able to watch some local stuff like sports events and such? Is it still pricey for all the add on stuff? thanks for your help!

2. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

You can upgrade you Direct tv reciever..Hughes has the least expensive receiver and you need the eliptical dish which you can get for about 450...You will get two Direct tv channels, HBO HD and HD net...Add a antenna and plug in to the over the air jack on the direct tv box and you will get you digital locals...

3. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Just to clarify, Keir does not need another dish to get digital locals. He needs the new dish only to get satellite HD.

4. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

That is correct, if you only want the locals you don't need a new dish, but the dish is pretty inexpensive, if you purchase the hd box you might as well get the Dish because HD net is great

5. Keir H

Keir H Second Unit

Thanks so much guys for responding. So if I go HDNet or HBOHD will that require a new subcrition rate? So $450 would get me going on a least locals like PBS, CBS, ABC ect.. right? Not bad, but still expensive....geesh..[​IMG]

6. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

If you just want OTA, samsung is coming out with a new OTA hd STB in June with a MSRP of 399...Probably can be picked up in the low 300s

7. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Keir, if you have the standard DirectTV programming package, you do NOT have to pay extra to get HD-HBO or HDNet. I get both of those, and I am only paying for the standard programming package (I'm not paying for ANY premium channels).

8. Steve Sz

Steve Sz Agent

HDnet is part of the basic but HBO HD is not is it?? RobertR are you sure about HBO HD??

9. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Steve: I'm sure. There's a thread about this in the HD Programming Forum over at AVScience. I get (and pay for) ONLY the nonpremium channels, but I and many others get HB0-HD. It started when HDNet came on. As far as I can tell, HBO-HD and HDNet are considered part of an "HD package" that shows up as costing "0 dollars" on your bill.