OK now I have my numbers corrected and need more guidence on my SVS room cuve

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Guidry, Apr 17, 2002.

1. Mark Guidry

Mark Guidry Stunt Coordinator

FREQRAW SPLSPL (comp)

Ok here it is...I cant figure how to post the graph. So what next...what can I do?? I was thinking about a ART 351 EQ...would this help? I have no idea what to do. If there is more info you need let me know please.

Thanks

Mark

2. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Mark, was this done with all the speakers playing? If so...try reversing the phase on the subs and measuring again.

An EQ will definitely allow you to get the measurements close to *flat*. Whether or not "flat" is what ends up sounding best to you...well...

A 1/3 octave EQ like the art will help. But if you want maximum flexibility in your signal processing a parametric like the Rane PE17 is the way to go . The Behringer feedback destroyer is much cheaper...and very powerful too. But i don't have any personal experience with it...try a search and you should see lots of info on it.

Tv

3. Mark Guidry

It was done with the front's (B&W 602's) playing...I had my Onkyo 676 in stero mode and the meter was in the listening position.

Is that what sound mode I should have used??

Shoul I do the test with all the other speakers off??

What about the bass and trebble controls on the reciever...should I mess with that any?? I think they were set on +10 for the trebble and +4 on the bass and the speakers are set to small.

What does the BFD cost??

I will reverce the wires and re-mesure to see what I get.

Thanks a bunch

Mark

4. Harold_C

Harold_C Stunt Coordinator

5. Mark Guidry

Great info Harold...that's what I am here for...to try to learn what to do and not to do.

I have calibrated the speakers to 75dB's using a DVD (ultimate platinum something or another)to get a "reference level, but that DVD doesn't have the wave sweep to get a room curve. I had to use a program on my computer that generates wave files and then burned it onto a CD.

So you are suggesting that I get a calibration DVD that also has the sweep on the sub Hz's so I can get my room curve and it will be like it should be...just the LFE channel??

Does Avia have this on there??

To get a true "room curve" do I have to use a DVD with the wave files on it or can I just use the CD I have and un-hook the mains...this would be in stereo mode.

I haven't had any problems yet with the treble and bass with frying a tweeter or woofer but I do want to have it set right and I never really asked about that before...I just set it where I thought it should go. I will have to play with them tonight and see what I come up with....I do not have an EQ yet...that's why I am asking because I want to learn what to do and what I need to do it with.

"In any case, you absolutely must defeat the tone controls to get any kind of valid EQ measurements."

Should I have it set like this if I don't have an EQ??

Thanks for any help you can give...I am learning as I go!

Mark

6. Harold_C

Mark:

The Avia disk has a series of low frequency sweeps -- from 200 to 20 Hz, one sweep for each channel. There is also an LFE sweep from 100 to 20 Hz.

As far as tone controls. With B&W speakers and (I believe you said) two SVS subwoofers, I can't really think of any need for tone controls.

If I were you, I would set them flat and spend the next six months listening to the system that way. Boosted bass and treble controls almost always make a good system sound bad.

I've yet to find a Dolby Digital recording that was lacking, in any way, on the top end! If anything, they would probably be a little more forgiving if they were rolled off a tad on the top end. A treble boost would make my ears bleed on my B&W DM303s.

If you feel the need for more treble, that's more than likely a symptom of having your subwoofers and bass control turned up too far.

7. Harold_C

8. Mark Guidry

OK so I'm ordering Avia today!! [​IMG]
    So I will re do room curve when I get it and I'll use the sweep on the Avia disc for the subs...does that sound good to you!! you said that there is a sweep from 20-100...that's enough...what about below 20 and above 100...the numbers I used before go a little above and below that...will this be OK??
    you also said they have a sweep for the other 5 ch.'s am I supposed to do something with that too...for some sort of curve...what is the benefits of that sweep for each individual channel???
    Yes I have the dual 39+/S1000 combo
    I don't think it sounds to bad now...but I'm really just getting into setting it up all the right way so I cant wait to see the improvement!!
    So when I run the Avia disc I should set the tone control to flat?
    Question...all this stuff..like getting the room curve and all...this is just for movies...or is this going to be the same for music as well?? I sometimes listen to my music in stereo or in 5 ch stereo which uses all the speakers.
    The ART 351 EQ...is that just for the sub ranges...do I or should I have another one for the others???
    Thanks again man!!
    Mark

9. Harold_C

10. Mark Guidry

Ok sounds good to me...When I get home I will re set the tones to flat and play with that for a while...then when I get my avia disc...i'll re do my curve...sounds good? Then I will re post the #'s and maybe I can do some more tweeking stiuff [​IMG]

11. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

I think what TV was referring to is your SPLs seem to be unusually low thru the Xover region. This could mean that the mains and sub are out of phase and cancelling each other out thru the Xover region. Try a LF sweep that goes thru the Xover region, or even a sine wave at or around the Xover, with the subs polarity the way it is, record the SPL, reverse the polarity of the sub, measure again. Whichever gives you the highest reading is the way it should be wired/set.
    Actually, I think Avia has a sub polarity test on it. [​IMG]
    Pete

12. Mark Guidry

Great....ok I am putting all this on hold till I get the Avia disc and do it right from the start...should be here in a few day but if anyone else has anymore idea or recomendations..let em fly[​IMG]
    Mark

13. Mark Guidry

Pete M.

So when you say the xover point you mean around 80hZ...can the speakers be out of phase even tho I know the wires are hooked up right (+ to + and - to -)?? Is this just something that happens sometimes?

Mark

14. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

Yes, whatever the processor is set to for the bass management Xover(usually 80 Hz).

Yea, even if the wiring is correct, placement and/or distance/delay settings can affect the phase of the sub(with regard to the rest of the speakers). I only worry about matching it up to the mains.

Pete

15. Mark Guidry

Great!!! Ok Avia...just waiting on you now[​IMG] [​IMG]

16. brucek

brucek Second Unit

Mark,

17. Mark Guidry

Ill try that tonight...but I dont know about my reciever...if I put it in stero mode and unplug the front speakers...will this make it crossover at 80 for the subs??

I have an ONKYO txds676

18. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne

19. Mark Guidry

Yeah you see right now in the listening spot it sounds good for movies...for the real deep bass at least...but when I pop in a metalika DVD with 5.1 (black album)...the kick drum is not that good...I have to sit either behind the couch or in front of it to get the thump thump of the kick drum. I will have to take some pics too...I have a feeling it might be a dormer window that is right next to the couch...maybe the higher bass is getting lost in there?!?! I will unplug the fronts tonight...drop the bass and treble to 0...and re-do the test tones in stereo mode and see what I get...then I will reverse the wires to do the phase adj. and then re measure. I will also try to post some pics of the room i'm in.

20. brucek

brucek Second Unit

Mark,