Ok, not new but please help!

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by JeanVanDam, Apr 15, 2004.

1. JeanVanDam

JeanVanDam Stunt Coordinator

My friend has a budget of $600 for a good 5.1 surround sound speaker package. We went to the Good Guys and he loved the Energy take 5 but that was a bit too much for him. Any suggestions please?[​IMG]

2. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

My friend has the Take 5's, I do not know what she paid for them.

But comparing them to the Hsu Ventriloquist system I have heard, the Hsu definitely sounded better. The speakers with the STF-1 sub will cost $500.

Since you are in Irvine, make an appointment with Hsu Research in Anaheim and check them out yourself.

3. JeanVanDam

Great thank you! I thought the Energy sounded the best as far as what the Good Guys carried. I'm myself is saving for the Rocket ELT package[​IMG]

4. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

I have heard the ELT package as well.

Hsu is so close to you guys, a visit to hear the Ventriloquist and their subs is worth the 30 minute drive.

There is also some sort of deal going on at Best Buy for the Athena Point 5 system. That may be worth checking out too....if it is still around. I have not heard that system.

5. JeanVanDam

Curtis, I auditioned the Rockets ELT and was wowed! by them, so far my first choice. Since that I'm not a audiophile and "think" that the Rockets are the best for $1000. What is your opinion? So far I heard, most major brands in electronic stores. My budget is $1000 for speakers, Swans look real nice but out of my price range.[​IMG]

6. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

For under $1000, if you like the ELT package, then stick with it. You are doing the right thing by listening to other stuff as well. You probably heard the ELTs in someone's home, which is probably a much better environment than many electronics stores, that is the one thing I would keep in mind. The ELT is a good value.

My opinion is there is no best...just what is best for you. There is a lot of stuff out there...it is never ending.

As you can tell by reading the forums, opinions can be vastly different, you are doing the right thing by listening to what you can.

Another thought, if you are thinking about the ELT Package, your budget is more like $1100-1200 because of shipping, right? Something to keep in mind as well....you can spend more money! [​IMG]

7. JeremyR

JeremyR Supporting Actor

Jeremy
    With a $1000 budget, you might consider looking into a pair of Paradigm Titans, a pair of Atoms, and a Paradigm CC-170 coupled with a sub that ISN'T one of Paradigm's PDR subs. I'm still currently shopping around for a sub to replace my 8 inch Kenwood, but the PDR subs didn't do anything for me. I got the CC 170, Titans, and Atoms for right under $550 including tax (with 15% discount which you should expect) which would leave you with $450 for a sub.

It's just another thought.

8. BradZ

BradZ Stunt Coordinator

If your friend really likes the Take 5.2 system there are always good deals on Ebay for this system. Right now I've got the S8.2 sub up and looks like it's gonna sell for less than $200. Several packages of the satellites up for sale too.

I also second the opinion to look at Best Buy's clearance of the Athena point 5 pkg. It's made by the same company as Energy and it's a good price.