Ok, next question! Would you buy from an unauthorized dealer?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Alex_C, May 20, 2003.

1. Alex_C

Alex_C Stunt Coordinator

I see receivers really cheap at some of the unauthorized dealers online. Assuming the place is legit, am I missing anything? Will I still get a warranty?

2. Chris Sherman

Chris Sherman Second Unit

My answer would be no. You will not get the factory warranty so you could get stuck with a lemon. My brother bought a Denon 2801 online and his had the popping , static through the surrounds glitch . I believe it only happens with pro logic and not DD or DTS so he lives with it. I have bought Onkyo products online from Vanns ( terrific dealer) and Sound City with no problems. JandR is also very good.

3. TylerZ

TylerZ Stunt Coordinator

It's a gamble. Are you willing to take it? For me buying from a local dealer meant local service and product support if I needed it. I did get my Denon for a sale price, more $ that from an on-line dealer, but cheap enough for me to feel like I was getting a fair deal. Lots of people buy from an unauthorized dealer and get lucky having no problems what so ever. There are also lots of horror stories about people having problems with defective products and getting nowhere with the '800 customer no service number' supplied by some unauthorized dealers and they're stuck. I guess it depends on how lucky you feel....

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I have, and I will continue to do so. As long as I can get a 10% or so (or save at least $100) *better* deal than from an authorized dealer.

Caveats: I've never needed servicing of a non-warrantied unit, but man, I would love to "fight" a manufacturer for that coverage. The people I have bought from, have personally guarenteed the components themselves (usually for 30 days or so), and because it's "not" covered, man, am I thorough about checking the outside of the box for damage before I sign for it from UPS... [​IMG]

5. Mark Hedges

Mark Hedges Second Unit

I bought my JBL studio series speakers from an unauthorized dealer. If I buy more I will probably buy from someone authorized just because I didn't really save that much money vs. J&R or whoever.

Are some companies pickier than others when it comes to honoring warranties? I know that in the photography world Canon had a rep for repairing anything no matter where you bought it but Nikon was a real stickler. Does anybody know how picky Sony is for honoring the 5 year warranty on their ES gear?

Mark

6. chun howe

chun howe Stunt Coordinator

another route for a cheaper equipment would be to buy use.
    you will save quite a few "Jackson". my 0.02

or a b-stock from online authorize dealers.
    yawaonline.com - NAD
    accessories4less.com - Marantz
    harmanaudio.com - H/K
    and i believe there are more.

but local with good return policy is better.
    on top of that plus a discount is best[​IMG]

7. Alex_C

Alex_C Stunt Coordinator

What's b-stock.

8. chun howe

refurbish
    or b stands for blemish

9. Alex_C

Alex_C Stunt Coordinator

Is it like new?
    I see the Denon 2802's on ebay for $472.00.

10. chun howe

it's basically a product that's been brought back to manufacturer or authorized repair facilities for repair.

one thing good about it is you still get the waranttee.

11. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

If the reseller were "legit," it wouldn't be selling brands it's not authorized to sell.

Stay with authorized dealers only. Otherwise, you're taking a hell of a gamble.

12. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Just say "no" to unauthorized dealers.

13. TylerZ

TylerZ Stunt Coordinator

Some manufacturers state their 'policy' on warranty repairs for items purchased from non-authorized dealers. Denon is one example. Some manufacturer sites also list authorized dealers, both brick & mortar and web. It might be worth checking it out before you purchase.

14. Dan Lindley

Dan Lindley Second Unit

NAD and Polk are other examples of websites with stern warnings about warrantees.

Some sellers take off the serial numbers and guarantee the units themselves. Hmm.

The B-Stock/refurb issue is interesting. I've looked at YAWA for the NADs and they are tempting (as is sometimes Qaudio). If I proceed further, I will check with NAD before proceeding (tho YAWA was good to me on another purchase, I must add). Also, if refurb'd and legit, you should check manuf date/serial number. You can surf around, but I recall a discussion on some forum where, for example, the NAD 752 after about SN 2000 were running well. I'd much prefer a new model 752 refurb'd than an old one refurb'd....

Also, and maybe others more experienced might chime in, I'd rather buy a speaker with its SN wiped out than a receiver, just b/c a speaker is less likely to be flawed (is that actually true, I wonder???).

Best, Dan

15. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Ahhh, see, I'm the opposite. I'm a lot more fanatical about where I buy speakers than electronics. Speakers' cones are too easily damaged. Anything with moving parts, I'd be more inclined to go with an authorized dealer. More failures likely.

16. Mark Amayao

Mark Amayao Stunt Coordinator

Most manufacturers I know of are pretty adamant about who sells their products online (as per reps). Even sites that have their roots in B&M (unless otherwise confirmed by the manufacturer).

Lately I have been hearing more and more from reps about the measures they have been taking to enforce their policies and police some of the sites that claim to be authorized (some of which are named throughout this forum).
    I have no clue about how well these measures are executed.

Nothing wrong with shopping be it online or local (those will have their gripes about both) just be careful and weary. I myself work for a dealer, but also am shopping online for a looming purchase, a Projector. I unfortunately cannot afford the projectors we carry, even at my cost. (spent most of the dough on audio and accessories.[​IMG]) Im still looking for the deal, but I feel it is worth the difference in price between authorized and unauthorized, from first hand accounts and input from reps themselves.
    "SHOP ARMED"
    [​IMG]