What's new

ok newbie with a problem (1 Viewer)

KrisGerber

Auditioning
ok, to start off i have no idea what the heck i am doing, keep that in mind when answering!

ok i bought a kenwood receiver and speakers last night and my problems begin...i get all the speakers hooked up and working fine, problem is i cannot for the life of me figure out how to get my tv hooked up to my receiver! my tv is old school and has no rca outlets on the back...i do have an rf modulator that i used to hook my dvd up to my tv...can this be used to hook my tv up to my receiver? i am totally confused! i got the dvd hooked up to the receiver and got sound through the speakers but i get no picture because i cannot figure out how to get this damn tv hooked up!

any help would be greatly appreciated...if i can't get this figured out i am taking all of this stuff back because all i have now is an expensive radio!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
If your "old school" TV doesn't have audio outs then you're out of luck. At any rate, since you're using an RF demodulator to screen DVDs, you're not even seeing a fraction of what DVD can do. And given the prices of analog direct-view sets these days, you really should consider upgrading your display (to one that has both S-video and component-video inputs, audio outputs, and a true 16:9 mode function).

(For more information on what display options you have, ask in Display Devices.)

KrisGerber

Auditioning
so i am SOL with my tv set up? may be returning this stuff then, no point to it really if all i can do is listen to the stereo:angry:

KrisGerber

Auditioning
well since i cannot get audio from the tv to the speakers, would it be possible to get dvd sound from the speakers and have the picture on the tv? what about with an x box? is this possible???

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

You need to hook your digital audio out on the DVD player to the digital audio in on the Kenwood receiver. This connection will be either optical or digital coax. After this you must make sure the digital in on the Kenwood is assigned to the DVD and make sure the DVD audio is set for "Bitstream" and "DTS" (if it has DTS) out. This will allow you to have 5.1 digital audio output from the DVD. Hook the video out from the DVD player to the RF modulator and the coax out on the modulator to the TV and you are good to go. No need to hook up the analog audio outs to the modulator with this setup.

NOTE: All of the above assumes you have at leasst a DD5.1 capable receiver. If not, just hook the audio outs on the DVD to the analog audio ins on the receiver. You will not get DD 5.1, but you will get pro-logic through your receiver and speakers.

KrisGerber

Auditioning
this is the system i purchased...i may just go ahead and return it and buy a tv and purchase a receiver and speakers at a later date...

Receiver features 6-channel KAM-1 high-efficiency power amplifier (100W x 5 @ 8 ohms, 40Hz - 20kHz, 0.7% THD) with preout to feed powered subwoofer

Built-in Dolby Digital, DTS, Dolby Pro Logic II and Dolby Pro Logic decoding with 24-bit/96kHz analog-to-digital and digital-to-analog converters for high-resolution sound

Automatic digital and analog format detection and selection

24-bit crystal semiconductor DSP processing with 5 preset modes

Midnight Theater mode limits dynamic range and enhances dialogue for late-night viewing

5 (front L/R/C, rear L/R) matched speakers, each with 3" full-range driver

100-watt powered subwoofer with 6-1/2" woofer in ported enclosure

Quartz PLL synthesized digital AM/FM tuner with 40 station presets

3 composite video inputs; 1 composite video record output; 1 composite video monitor output

3 digital audio inputs (1 optical, 2 coaxial); 6 stereo analog audio inputs

Headphone output

Full-function remote

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Kris,

Why would you return the system? I explained above how you should hook it up. You only have to get an optical or coax interconnect for the digital audio connection and you are good to go. List the model number of your receiver and DVD player and I will even give you step by step directions on the hookup and tell you which interconnect to buy.

KrisGerber

Auditioning
Kenwood 600-Watt Dolby Digital/DTS Home Theater System

Model: HTB-206

purchased from best buy...

the way u explained it will i be able to get sound from the tv to the speakers or only when i watch a movie? i am totally new to this whole thing so pretend u are talking to a 3 year old:D

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
You would only get regular TV sound from the speakers if you have audio out connections on your TV or you have a cable/sat box with audio outs.

I will need the make/model number of your DVD and the specific model of the receiver (not the HTB number) to post the full instructions.

KrisGerber

Auditioning
i am at work and i don't have all that info and can't find it on the website...

i think i am going to get a new tv so when i do re-purchase a receiver and speakers i can have it all hooked up right!

jeff, thanks for all your help! :emoji_thumbsup: i really do appreciate it...i will be back in the near future when i start again with the receiver and speakers, i really need a new tv badly anyway :D

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Kris: As I said, without audio outputs on the TV, forget it. But you can get the sound from DVD to the system if you connect the DVD player to the receiver/processor via a digital connection (either coax or optical) as the others explained above. The TV sound, however, is a no-go -- unless, also as explained above, you have a cable box with its own audio outputs. If so, then you're good to go. JB

KrisGerber

Auditioning
thanks for all your help guys...i will be here for awhile as there is a lot of information that i can benefit from here...

great forum guys!

RayM

Agent
Couldn't you also just hook up the video out to a VCR (assuming you have one with some) and run a coaxial cable from the VCR to the TV.

I had to do that with a buddies setup since he had an older TV too. Only downside is the VCR has to be on all the time.

keith jay

Auditioning
i think you could leave the dvd hooked up to the tv the way it was before you purchased the receiver and connect the dvd to the receiver via one of the digital outs. your manual can tell you which these are. look at a picture of the back panel. the easiest to distinguish will be the optical which kind of looks like a telephone jack and may have a cap for dust protection. if you get sound from the tv you can mute it. i'm assuming the rf modulator is some kind of adaptor for the signal from the dvd to the tv. good luck.

John S

Senior HTF Member
A cheap stereo Hi-Fi VCR will more or less fix this for you.

But at that point, your TV will stay on channel 3, and you will change channels with your VCR tuner / remote

Good luck with it all

Iver

Second Unit
Do you have a VCR with audio outs or a mono audio output?

If so then, as John said, you can use the audio out from your VCR to get the broadcast TV audio on your receiver.

Going the VCR route, here's your best bet: connect the VCR audio to the receiver, using one of the analog ins on the receiver. If the VCR's mono use a Y-adaptor between the VCR and receiver. Use a digital (optical or coax) connection from the DVD to the receiver for audio. Use the video (yellow RCA jack) connection between VCR and receiver. Same for DVD to receiver. Use "monitor out" video jack on receiver for connection from receiver to your RF modulator. Connect your antenna or cable input to antenna-in jack on VCR. With this configuration, you leave your TV on the channel set on the modulator (3 or 4 usually) and you would tune TV channels with the VCR's tuner. Or, if you use your cable box to change channels, you'd leave the VCR on whatever channel output by the box.

KrisGerber

Auditioning
well guys i took it back and bought a new tv...much nicer than the old one and has a number of rca's on the back so i can hook everything up right when i get the money to re purchase the stuff i took back:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks