What's new

OK, newbie needs some major help here. (1 Viewer)

Alex Planic

Auditioning
Hello,

This is my first post here and reading the other posts you guys seem to know your stuff so... here we go.

Ok I never thought much about home theater / high end audio until recently. I have a old Sony DVP S300 DVD player which I also use to use as my CD player. I am going to upgrade that later down the road when I get my new TV.
I purchased a ONKYO 595 reciever and Polk Audio 6600 speakers with 350 sub. Now just yesterday I purchased a Sony 775 SACD/CD player. Ok here is my question. I hook up the 775 to my reciever with 2 analouge connections (left,right) into my recievers multi-channel input and SACD works fine sounds good I can set the crossover on my sub, but I heard this player is a not-so-great redbook player. I figured I would just use the optical out and send the data to the reciever to DAC it, but I listened to some Mozart through the same analogue connection and I swear this sounded better then playing the CD through the optical out on the old Sonly s300!? Was it all in my head? Does the sony 775 have a better DAC built into it then my ONKYO 595? I mean I thought using the optical out on either the DVD player or the CD player should give the same results since its all 101010101 until the reciever decodes it. Please If someone can understand my gibberish please help. PS is SACD even worth bothering with on my setup? Thank you for any insight you can give me.

Mike Bledsoe

Stunt Coordinator
Alex
I find what you say very interesting that you could run SACD through your didgital outlets, to my knowledge that is not allowed yet, due to copy-right issues.
If you know something that I do not, let me know.

Mike Bledsoe

Andrew_Ballew

Second Unit
I find what you say very interesting that you could run SACD through your didgital outlets, to my knowledge that is not allowed yet, due to copy-right issues.
Sounds to me like he is listening to SACD in stereo through the analog multi-channel bypass inputs on his Onkyo.

Yes, i think SACD is worth it in your setup. It sounds terrific.

Andrew B.

Michael Lomker

Stunt Coordinator
>same results since its all 101010101 until the reciever decodes it.

This isn't true because timing information is embedded into the datastream and different transports do a better job than others. The timing errors are called "jitter" and I've read a number of technical articles on it...I'm sure a google search would find plenty of references.

By the way, optical outputs suck. They only have a 6 mhz bandwidth and I wouldn't use them if you can help it. Coaxial digital links are much better.

Users who are viewing this thread