What's new

Ok, Need Final Decision... Onkyo 595 or Kenwood VR-509... (1 Viewer)

PaulShady

Agent
Bill I'm glad you started this Post, because this is Exactly what I was dealling with! 595 or 509? For what its worth, I Just ordered the 509. I listened to both, and the both sound great. (I probably have a tin ear!) As for loudness, although the Onkyo sounded better REAL loud, I'm married with a 3 month old, WHEN am I gonna listen to it REAL LOUD! :b The kenwood sounds fine LOUD enough for me.:emoji_thumbsup:
But the Final decission was based on the remote. (Audiophiles Cringe). I just really like the 509's remote and options. And for about $100 less, how could I go wrong!:D
Good luck,
Paul

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Bill:

Whether DPL-II is useful or not is entirely subjective. I happen to enjoy it a great deal, eventhough it's no replacement for DD or DTS. The Denon 1802 has 10 more watts per channel than the 1801 it replaces (I received mine the week of the 9-11 tragedy). You are correct regarding the 1802 remote though, it is TERRIBLE. I would love to chat with Denon marketing and find out why they couldn't at least offer the same style of remote available with the more expensive Denon 3802 (which is similar to the Kenwood 509's remote). I would however, never reject a purchase based on the remote (unless it was a close race) as the sound is usually the central factor with me.

R.C.

Bill Johnston

Stunt Coordinator
What I would really want but I don't really think i can justify it is a Onkyo 696...

I got a GREAT price on a Kenwood VR-510, but then reality set in such as most likely I will never need 5-6 pre outs... and is THX worth it... which most people say... "NO"...

So that's why I ended up back @ the Kenwood 509 and the 595...

Albert M

Stunt Coordinator
For the price you listed go with the VR509. I think both sound good, the Onkyo has all channel stereo and the Kenwood has adjustable DPL2 music mode and SRS Circle Surround.

Bill Johnston

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the comments... I'm definatly leaning twards the Kenwood 509... I plan on contacting Kenwood today and ask about the component video to see what the Mhz is, and to see if it supports Progressive and HDTV input and outputs (so it doesn't screw up the singnal), if it isn't, I can scratch that off the check list as one of the options...

One other thing I'm not sure of, seeing NO PLACE I HAVE WENT TO, has the Kenwood Remote working... How the hell do you change from like Video 1 and DVD? D I need to do all this "Page Up" and "Page Down" crap? Is it that bad...

Last night I was on the phone with my soon to be wife... And I heard the comment "do you really need that, you already have surround sound", and "is this going to be loud", and "I already can't figure out how to run the thing, sounds even more complicated than the old one"...

So, just by those comments, I'm almost wondering if the Onkyo is the way to go, basicly because ALLLLLLllll the switching can be done by PUSHING the buttons on the front!!! That might be better? And easier?

But then again... She might not rag so much if she found out a got a good price... Haha..

Life get's confusing when your want to figure out what to spend your $$$$$ on...

Bill

Bill Johnston

Stunt Coordinator
Did I mention that I'm currently using a Kenwood AV-6010 that is around 10-12 years old (can't remember exactly), it has one of the first generations of surround sound...

With New satalites, and Either one of these amps... Will I hear much clearer, cleaner sounds? With the difference be between night and day? If that is the case definatly I can't go wrong with either one...

I figure alot has improved in the last 10-12 years so I really will be happy either way compared to my old set-up...

Bill

ColinW

Agent
I would recommend the 509. The remote is easy to use once you have it set up correctly. If you have any experience with gear for home theatre it won't take you long to get it up and running. You can also program macros into it making it easy for a significant other to watch a movie with just a couple of clicks.

My fiancee knows how to work if after a 5 minute lesson, and she is not too familiar with audio or video gear.

I am sure the 509 will suit your needs easily.

Colin

Jeff_Blanch

Agent
Yes, the 509 seems to be one of the best deals going now. Can anyone out there who owns or has seen the 509 answer the question about On Screen Display? Yes or no on the 509? I've seen one place that has it listed under a feature, but then it lists the 510 as not having it??? I thought the 510 would have everything the 509 does only more. Someone must know. Thanks.

John_E

Stunt Coordinator
I am interested in knowing about the OSD as well. UPS is delivering my 509 today. I pick up my Paradigms on Saturday and will be setting it all up. Any 509 owners want to offer any setup tips?
FYI---I ordered mine from www.mjshow.com on Monday night for $287.00 (No Tax)+ $13.51 UPS ground shipping. The unit shipped on Tuesday & is being delivered today. I also tlked with a local Kenwood service provider and he had no problem honoring the warranty with a purchase from MJShow.

Bill Johnston

Stunt Coordinator
Hey John_e -

So, did you get your 509? How does it sound? Hopfully good... Let me know, I am planning on picking up a VR-509 and Jamo Apollo's Friday or Saturday...

And unless I change my final decision and end up with a Onkyo 595... I will be happily using my new HT on saturday and sunday...

Hopfully I make the best decision...

John_E

Stunt Coordinator
I'm still at work, so I assume that it's waiting at my door. I'll be sure to post a full report as soon as everything is set up.

John

John_E

Stunt Coordinator
As far as I can tell, there is no on-screen display for the Kenwood. However, I've only had about 2 hrs. with it and I've been preoccupied with another problem:

HELP!! I am using the S-Video switching. I have listened to you guys and connected 1 component at a time. I started w/ the S-VHS VCR. No problem. Picture is great w/ S-video connection. Next is the Sci. Atlanta 3100 cable box. I used the coax from the wall to VCR IN, then VCR out to Cable Box in. I then used S-Video OUT to Receiver's Video 2 IN, and Coax Digital Audio Out to Video 2 Coax in. Basically, I now get no sound and no picture. Some of the analog cable stations come in very fuzzy and I get no "digital" channels. I don't know what I did wrong, and the manual wasn't very helpful. Call out for Sean Conklin!!!

Denis Q

Auditioning
I have also been trying to decide between the Kenwood 509 and a few others mentioned in this forum. Just saw in my local Circuit City that the 509 was on sale this week (until 12/22) for $291 (plus approx. $24 tax), so it looks like that's the way I am going.

DQ

Bill Johnston

Stunt Coordinator
Well the VR-509 is a really nice system... I ended up getting a Onkyo 595 after I flipped a coin... :)... It is a really nice reciever...

Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks