Ok, Need Final Decision... Onkyo 595 or Kenwood VR-509...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Johnston, Dec 11, 2001.

1. Bill Johnston

Bill Johnston Stunt Coordinator

Ok, Just got final bundled pricing on my two choices...

I plan on getting Jamo 310 Bundle (4 satalites, 1 center, and 1 10" sub)... They go for $699.00 locally!!!

Ok I asked for final pricing on buying the Receiver and Speakers at the same time...

Onkyo 595, With the Jamo's - $1,024.00

Kenwood VR-509 With the Jamo's - $875.00

The Onkyo costs $149.00 MORE...

The Kenwood is 100 watts x 5 channels Versus 75 watts (not that, that matters)...

The Kenwood has Component Video Switching the Onkyo Doesn't (I don't need @ this time)...

We have all come to the conclussion that kenwood is the best bang for the buck... But... Do you guys think that the Onkyo is worth $150 more? for $200 more I can get a Kenwood VR-510, but I think I've come to the conclussion that THX doesn't matter... So I scratched that off my list... And I did look at a Onkyo 696, but I really don't think I can spend $1248.00 on a Reciever and Speakers and feel good...

Help... I think they both sound pretty darn good... I am currently running a Kenwood AV-6010, do you all think NO MATTER WHAT I GET... That it will be a HUGE IMPROVEMENT!!??!?!??!??! HELP!!!

Thanks!

Bill

2. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Will you need the component video switching in the forseeable future? I'd say the Onkyo is worth $150 more as it will have a better power supply and will sound better as you crank up the volume.

3. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

I think you'll get your money's worth with either of those packages. The only difference is that with the 2nd package you're putting a little more money in, so you'll get a little more out of it. Just decide how much you want to spend.

4. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

You've proved to yourself that BOTH are great sounding!

Both have good warranties, both HAVE good power supplies, and BOTH will perform excellent for you. Normally I always recommend the Kenwood, but I really like the 595 and up.

If you foresee yourself needing component switching in the future you can't go wrong with the Kenwood.

I highly recommend both receivers, I think you should let your ears and wallet decide!!

5. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

I would go with the Onkyo if component switching is something you can live without. I believe the high current on the Onkyos make them slightly better and fuller sounding than the Kenwood IMO.

6. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    i say go with the Onkyo 595. i have one and am pleased with it-- my only complaint is the lack of pre-outs.

btw, i've never heard of these Jamo speakers you talk about. have you compared them to other popular brands in this price range? the JBL NSP1 speaker package ($299) and a Sony SA-WM40 12" sub ($150-200 at Best Buy) are some of the best performers for the $$. make sure you listen to as many speakers as you can before you make your decision, and remember to do what your ears (not me or anyone else here) tell you.

good luck!

7. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Another vote for the Onkyo. This, by the way, is not a put down of the Kenwood, but just my personal bias toward Onkyos, which I've owned for 17 or 18 years.

8. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I'm Onkyo owner, so that's my vote [​IMG] but if hadn't gotten a good deal on my 696, I would have likely gotten the Kenwood 509.
    From what I've read and experienced, both the Onkyo 595 and the Kenwood 509 will serve you well.

9. Bill Johnston

http://www.jamo.com/consumer/
    Jamo's are basicly very well known and respected in eurupe... I think they are a Denmark company...
    I heard them, and relaly liked them... Actually, loved them... They Blow Bose, which doesn't seem to be an issue acording to you guys!
    Bill

10. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

Bill, I hope you are not buying the Jamos simply because they blew the BOSE away. Most any speaker blows the Bose away.(LOL)

11. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

Jamo is made in Denmark. And Jamo is a very high quality speaker that is comparable to the Paradigms i.e. very well constructed and very good sounding!

But I really like the JBL sound for Home Theater, JBL is very famous for their theater sound, I know they may not look as good as some of the other highly regarded speakers, but a lot of research goes into the design of the JBL's and are tough to beat.

As a matter of fact Harmon Kardon Labs compared the JBL NSP-1 to the Paradigms, and said they performed as good or better than speakers costing 3 or 4 times more!

Back to the Jamo's, I used to install HT/music systems, and had the chance to install a few Jamo speakers and found they are very nice sounding! Top notch.

12. William_L

William_L Extra

I say go for the Onkyo. Although I can't really comment on the Kenwood, I love my Onkyo (and Klipsh speakers)

13. Bill Johnston

Ok, I know this doesn't all matter but the Kenwood has the following over the Onkyo...

Option Kenwood Onkyo

Watts 100 x 5 75 x 5

THD in Sterio 0.7% 0.08%

On-Screen Display Yes No

Remote Multibrand RF Multibrand

LCD Remote Yes No

Video Soundfields 5 4

Audio/Video In's 5 4

Front A/V In's RCA/S-Video None

S-Video 5 4

Component In's 2 None

Component Out's 1 None

Optical Out's 1 None

Speaker Terminals Posts Binding Posts

Everytime I move twards the Onkyo 595, I see MANY things the kenwood has over the Onkyo, such as On-Screen Display, LCD Remote, Components In/Out's, Optical Out's...

Then when I sway back twards the Onkyo 595, then I look back @ the Kenwood VR-510 THX, because it has two zones, and is THX certified and only $50.00 more than the Onkyo 595 with the speakers...

God this is tough...

14. Bill Johnston

Opps... Let's try it this way...

Kenwood

Watts - 100 x 5

THD in Sterio - 0.7%

On-Screen Display - Yes

Remote - Multibrand RF

LCD Remote - Yes

Video Soundfields - 5

Audio/Video In's - 5

Front A/V In's - RCA/S-Video

S-Video - 5

Component In's - 2

Component Out's - 1

Optical Out's - 1

Speaker Terminals - Posts

Onkyo 595

Watts - 75 x 5

THD in Sterio - 0.08%

On-Screen Display - No

Remote - Multibrand

LCD Remote - No

Video Soundfields - 4

Audio/Video In's - 4

Front A/V In's - None

S-Video - 4

Component In's - None

Component Out's - None

Optical Out's - None

Speaker Terminals - Binding Posts

15. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

Bill I think it all boils down to this. How do they both sound for movies and HT. I say you go down to your dealer and give both these units a thorough workout. Play them loud and see which one stays cleaner and see which one starts clipping at what volumes.

Your provided specs on paper make Kenwood the clear winner and of you think you like the way ot performs then thats icing on the cake.

16. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

I had to complicate things more for you Bill, but you may also want to consider the Denon 1802 which is 80 x 5 with pre-amp outs. The sound on this unit is VERY clean and free of hiss at loud volumes. I would also recommend the Marantz 5200. Try them all and see what you loke.

R.C.

17. Bill Johnston

Too bad that the Denon 1802 remote sucks so much... I didn't hear it but I guess the Denon's and the Onkyo's sound very good next to each other...

Just currious, what is the differnce betwoeen the 1801 and the 1802? The place I deal with still has the 1801 on the shelf, and stated that the only differance is ProLogic II which isn't totally usefull... He can and would get me the 1802 if I decided I wanted one...

Makes me wonder, if I could steal the 2801 for the price of the 1802, maybe that might be a nice way to go as well...

Hmmmmm, this is getting more confusing all the time... maybe I just will keep my trusty Kenwood VR-6010 for a while... ;-)

When did the Kenwood 500 series get introduced?

When did the Onkyo 595 come out?

When did Denon release the 1802?

Maybe I should hold out till after the holidays!!!

Maybe not...

Bill

18. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

The 1802 has DPL II, more watts per channel, and LCR preouts.

I'm not sure when the Kenwood came out.

The 595 came out about 5 or six months ago.

The 1802 came out a couple months ago.

19. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

I am a proud owner of the kenwood 509 and I love it. I upgraded from a 209 and it amazes me how kenwood does so well, for the price range. Great receiver!

20. Jeff_Blanch

Jeff_Blanch Agent

Bill, you mentioned in your comparison that the Kenwood VR-509 has an on screen display. Have you actually seen it? Everything that I have read has failed to mention the OSD, and that is one thing I am looking for in my soon to be purchased new receiver. If the 509 does, then it may be just what I am looking for. Thanks.