Ok let me bounce an idea off your heads

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Matthew Cook, Dec 24, 2004.

1. Matthew Cook

Matthew Cook Stunt Coordinator

I have poured cement walls in my basement. My plans were to use tapcons to attach furing strips to the wall for dry wall attachment. Here is my problem it is very hard to drill into the wall I tried to drill a small hole to make the tapcon go in easier but it really doenst help. Any suggestions I would rather not build a wall with 2x4 studs I am really just covering the ugly cement wall. The reason for the furing strips is with the poured wall every 2 feet there is a cement seam that comes out a small amount but if I put carpet there it would cause a wave effect so no quick fix with carpet my first idea.

2. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    I assume you are using special masonary drill bits? If not, get you a few, works a heck of a lot better!

3. ScottHH

ScottHH Stunt Coordinator

I bought a kit at home depot that came with a masonary drill bit, plastic "mollies" that you tapped into the holes, and screws that when screwed into the plastic mollies made a nice tight grip. Probably lighter duty than the product you purchased, but they were pretty easy to get in.

How big is the concrete seam? Would it chip away with a chisel?

4. Brad E

Brad E Second Unit

Get a few masonary bits, it sounds like you have a lot of holes to drill. And go rent a hammer drill.
    I would also use PL-400 or premium to make sure the furring strips are secure to the concrete.

What are you going to do about electrical boxes? I don't know what the building codes are in your area but most require an outlet be placed on every wall of a certain size.
    If you don't have a building permit and are not going to get your basement inspected it will likely come back to haunt you when/if you ever decide to sell your house.
    Just a thought.

5. Matt Weldy

Matt Weldy Second Unit

I know people who have just used like a concreat adhesive and glued the drywall to the walls. In fact they just ran there speaker wire in the morder joints and then glued the board on it. But personally I would build the walls. Like someone else said in case you sell your house.

6. Matthew Cook

Matthew Cook Stunt Coordinator

I have the masonary bits just that they were to small to start the tapcon I was using. I got a bigger bit and bam went right in. As far as the electrical boxes there will be none on that wall. If there were no boxes on the wall before why would I need them after I put a peice of drywall up? I did it just to make it look better than the old cement wall. I talked to my father in law he is a contractor and said for what I was doing I didnt need a permit. The seams of the concrete come out 2 centameters and are an inch wide so chiseling is a huge job. Thanks for all the help I will post pics.