Ok, I've got about $1500 to spend on a direct view TV... Advice please?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Frank_M, May 17, 2002.

1. Frank_M

Frank_M Stunt Coordinator

Hi all -

I'm moving my current 32" Sony Trinitron into the basement, and using the opportunity to upgrade my primary TV.

I've been trying to keep up with the latest issues and concerns (as well as deals) but I must admit I've become a bit overwhelmed.

What I want to do is buy the BEST TV I can for about that price. I had thought I'd go to a 36"... but it is not a necessity. I'm ok if I need to stay at 32" to get the best quality. I don't want to buy something that, in two years, I'm going to regret not having spent a little more on to get something else, you know?

We also have an issue with the cabinet out TV is on, in that its width is just 35 1/2. I know a lot of 36" say they are wider... but I'm guessing that the base might fit, and that's all that matters (there are no walls on this cabinet, just drawers below).

Anyway we watch about 65 percent DIRECTV, 30 percent DVD and 5 percent VHS (Those Disney videos of my son that haven't been upgraded yet), and I run all my S-Video connections through my Marantz SR7000 receiver which does the S-Video switching.

Thanks for reading all of this, and thanks in advance for any suggestions.

If there is more info that would be helpful, please ask.

2. Jason Caudill

Jason Caudill Stunt Coordinator

There is going to be a significant price drop in the 32" hd monitors when the new models come out this summer. The Sony kv32hsx00 will be starting at that $1500 price I think and they tend to be one of the more expensive brands to start off. So I would say wait a few months (june, july) and see what comes up.

The other approach to that is the models from this year will have to move to make room for the new ones so they will (have) be dropping to that price range. I am not sure which of the sets will fit your demensions. Jason

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Frank, why S-video connections? Why not component-video connections?

Agree with Jason: Wait a couple of months, as the prices are plummeting. At $1,500, you do not want an NTSC-only set.

4. Frank_M

Jack -

My current TV doesn't have them, that's why I've done S-Video.

As for component...I'm not sure how that would work. I don't think my receiver has component video switching (or even component output) so I'm not sure. My DIRECTIVO doesn't, but I'm guessing my Panasonic RV-80 DVD player does.

As for waiting.... hmmm. Will be tough! Athough waiting a month will be easy, I think.

So I don't want NTSC only, you say? OK, that's what I figured. I don't really understand the differences between the sets at this level, but I at least picked up that much.

So are you saying I should be looking for the current models when they drop (and which ones, exactly?) or be waiting for the new models?

5. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    I have a similar size restriction 36.5" and the only 36" TV that would fit in your space that is worth considering is the Hitachi 36UDX10S. It has been getting lot's of praise here lately and actually I am now considering this set as well. the specs are here:
    http://www.hitachi.com/tv/browse/dir...36udx10s.shtml
    There is also a 32" model. The only things I have heard that this set is lacking is the non-flat tube, and only 1 component input.
    Other than that set, you are stuck with a 32". Sony XBR may fit (double check the width). The Panasonic 32hx41 will fit. You could also fit the panasonic and toshiba 34" 16x9 tubes but they are over your budget and since you watch more TV than DVD, it wouldn't be practical for you.
    You have several options:
    Panasonic
    Sony
    Samsung
    Hitachi
    Toshiba
    They are all highly recommended by many here. Do some research on all these before you decide.

6. Frank_M

That Hitachi also doesn't seem to have a 16x9 mode as some do... is that not relevant on the high scan models?

Also, we have some glare issues in the room at times.. so I think I want to go flat screen.

7. James Zubb

James Zubb Stunt Coordinator

The Hitachi does have 16:9 mode for the component input. Mode change is available via menu or remote button.

8. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Frank: Your DVD player has component-video connections. Price drops on current models are pronounced just prior to the new model releases. JB

9. Frank_M

Jack -

So whatever TV I'd get, I'd run component directly from my DVD to the TV, and then probably take the S-Video from DIRECTV and run that straight to the TV too? Just cut the reciever switching out of the loop completely, right?

10. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Use component for DVD's and S-vid for everything else. since you already have everything wired up just use the recievers video switching like normal and plug s-vid into input 1(example) on the TV and the DVD's component video to TV's input 2(example). When you watch a DVD, just switch the TV input to 2 and when you watch sat/VCR/etc. switch the TV input to 1.

11. Frank_M

A step easily done with my Pronto. Sounds great. But wouldn't it be better as well to go directly into the TV with S-Video from DIRECTV rather than going through the receiver? What would be gained from the additional step?

Plus, my receiver is about 8" from the TV, while DTV is right below it.

12. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Depends if you use the video switching for VCR, Game system, LD, or anything else. If not, then sure, just run a direct s-video line from the sat receiver to the TV. Doing this will turn your receiver into an audio only switcher.

13. Jason Hammerly

Jason Hammerly Supporting Actor

Here's my $.02. I went to American TV intending on buying a Panasonic flat screen TAU, and ended up leaving with the "special". It's an NTSC only 36" Samsung direct view set. It does the squeeze trick on dvd's and I feel that the picture is nearly as good as a WEGA. It's looks fantastic. I'm also very please with the picture with my DirectTV with just coax. I just bought s-video cables for my DVD and satellite. I'm thinking that this will improve the picture even more. All in all it's an unbelieveable deal for a mere $588 through tomorrow. I figure it will get me buy for 3-4 years until they have finally settled on an HDTV standard. I'd check it out, it's a great set. It's also less than 35" wide. Later.