Ok, I've broken the biggest rule when dealing with the service menu. Help.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by LaMarcus, Aug 27, 2002.

1. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

My only objective was to get rid of the overscan. And that mission was completed. But instead of leaving well enough alone, I had to play with the other settings.

Now to my surprise I have a blue line going across the top ride side of my screen, and a green line going across the top left of my screen. But here's the kicker.....they only show up when I watch dvd's in progressive mode not interlaced. Only reason I can think of is because I messed with the setting while watching V.E and in progressive mode.

Please tell me what the hell I did, and how I can get rid of these lines.......Oh the biggest rule I broke was not writing down the original settings before screwing with it. Well I didn't write down all of them.

2. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

Look for the VBKL and VBKH (I think, H...) these are the vertical blanking settings. Since you moved where the picture was, perhaps even the raster, the CRTs are most likely displaying at different locations now, and some of the light is seeping over and reflecting off bits of the case. My Toshiba gets a big green refelction off the mirror casing with the vertical blanking set incorrectly.

3. Bryce Miner

Bryce Miner Stunt Coordinator

Which Tv Brand model do you have?

4. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

Sorry... I don't know why I assumed you had a Toshiba. Must have just been reading another thread? [​IMG]
    So, perhaps it won't be called that, but for whatever brand you have, look for the vertical blanking settings. I find it easiest to just set it to the max (blanks about 1/2 the picture, on my set) and then reduce from there until none of the picture is obscured. Hope this helps!

5. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings
    I think the bigger question is whether he deserves to be helped. [​IMG] Self inflicted wound and all.
    For what ever reason, 480P and 480i signals don't always have the same output specs as far as the TV is concerned. You need to readjust the overscan to a level where this edging is covered up by the frame.
    Same reason why S-video image centering is different from component video.
    Regards

6. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

It's not left to right that it shows, but rather at the top. Where the black bars are, it's right below that, as if giving the black bars a outline. It does sound like a vertical problem. I remember screwing around with that and I bet that's what it is (I hope and pray[​IMG] )
    The set is a Samsung 65" hcl652w
    And Michael don't be mean, you'll hurt my feelings.[​IMG]

7. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Also dont use VE for overscan it is incorrect. Always use Avia for this.
    Remember that you NEED SOME overscan. 3-5% all the way around.
    Best of luck, and just try to ignore Michael. [​IMG]
    Gregg

8. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

All man VE is wrong....what is the world coming too. I recall reading another thread you were on Gregg and you said you need both VE and Avia to do the isf cal. The overscan worked out great got it just under 5%. It's just the top that I messed up.