What's new

OK- It's Been 4 Weeks- PSB Subsonic 6i vs SVS 25-31 PC Plus (1 Viewer)

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
For anyone interested, "Andrus" ordered a SVS subwoofer 2 years ago(?), found a scratch on the grille a day or two after setting it up and decided we dent him a B-stock. We agreed to express ship a new grille. No good. We ended up taking the subwoofer back, paying for shipping both ways...AND refunded him 110% of his purchase price IIRC.

All this because a grille got scratched in shipping.

Now, for our efforts to make it all right... Ron and I get to hear him spread lies like those above. Better watch out...Tom is coming to kick in your door....sheesh...

Reminds me of Ripley in Aliens..."I'm not sure which species is worse Burke..:)

Anyway, I apologize for this thread getting so side tracked. To the new owner of the PSB...that unit did fantastic when it got Nousaine-d...I never heard one but it looks to be a very serious unit.

Andrus, I don't know what else I could say at this point...I'm very sorry your SVS experience left you so bitter and convinced we tried to sell you a B stock.

Tom V.
SVS

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member

Of course, "specs" and "measurements" are rather different things. "Specs" are what a company wishes you to believe its sub can do, "measurements", as least those like Ed's, are what a sub does. And, as usual, the "best" sub won't always be "my favorite", or "what I prefer".
Think about the best/favorite sub you've heard, was it likely designed and engineered through measurement in a lab, or by ear? With whom might a professional designer side in discussions like these?

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Making informed comments about products on this board has always been welcomed. It is comments that have no basis in any sort of fact that will be never allowed to go on here.

Parker

Peter Marcks

Stunt Coordinator
Capturing the perceived musicality of a subwoofer is certainly more complex than looking at simply low frequency response extension capability, and certainly more complex than looking at simply distortion limited output measurements. There are also principles of psychoacoustics, which we have actively done research on, in addition to some other factors.

MikeDuke

Stunt Coordinator
Jack

You are right. I should have been consistent in my wording. Specs and measurements are different. I meant to say that they all had better specs than my sub.

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter

David Keith,

Do you actually know these gentlemen? Personally? If not, then that's quite the statement to make about a small internet based company. The term "rabid following" would come to mind. Congrats SVS! You have achieved Bose status!

I hope you all realize I've got my tongue firmly planted in my cheek.

Oh and Parker Clack: I love the sig. Best TV show ever. The password is "Gemini". Although my personal fav. episodes are "Free For All" and "Hammer and Anvil". Very different from each other, but both brilliant in their own right.

Martin.

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
David,

Tongue was in cheek. But what did they do to your friend? I bet now we're all imagining things far worse than what really occurred.

Crickey. I've just noted that I've been a member for over 4 years. Geesh. Yet there's still so much to learn!

Martin.

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
Ron,

Since you brought up Canada ;), do you forsee a channel ever selling SVS up here? Is the market big enough; can you compete with the CDN manufacturers on their own turf, as it were? I recently purchased a Paradigm subwoofer, and I wish that the opportunity to get an SVS had been present. I was intrigued by the startup, and saddened (as a consumer) to see it fail before it got off the ground.

Martin.

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Martin,

SVS has no immediate plans to have a physical presence in Canada. So far there has been no need since all of our products are NAFTA compliant and built in the USA. Thousands of SVS's have been sent north, just as they are to any US state. Sure the tax laws in Canada are different, and there is a legacy of the old duty days whereby stuff crossing the border get a "brokerage fee" (not a duty mind you, but it can feel the same, even if it's pretty small by all accounts).

Shipping to Canada is a bit more costly than here, but not too crazy. If your business model is different (off-shore production that can as easily ship to Canada to keep costs down as the USA for instance) the calculus might work out differently.

Balance our production here, with the cost of setting up wharehousing, someone to manage it (who presumeably wants to be paid well) etc etc. We have run the numbers more than once and even with the slightly higher shipping costs, even with the inane "brokerage fee", we're better off, and more importantly the CUSTOMER is better off with us simply shipping their subs north like any other customers.

Some great products made in Canada are less expensive there than they are here but even then we feel SVS's are more than competitive with the local offerings on a price/performance basis. Like I said, many many customers every month seem to agree.

Apologies to James E. for getting his thread sidetracked.

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
Ron,

Thank you very much for your summary of the economics of a Canadian presence. :emoji_thumbsup:

I guess a joke is inappropiate at this time, but that's never stopped me before.

Except air, at low frequencies, of course!

Regards,
Martin.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks