What's new

Ok is this stuff legit or is this the "monster" of all monsters? (1 Viewer)

RickRO

Stunt Coordinator
Ok fellas and ladies not sure exactly if this is the right area but here goes.

Was surfing tonight and came across this

Here is a link to the manufactures web page here check it out.

Is this stuff legit? I am just shaking my head over this one.

Anybody want to chime in?

PaulT

Supporting Actor
Jar full of sponges - wonder what the price is? I would really look forward to all the fun I can have with my blue gooey though ;)

Hmmm, that's really too bad as I have heard their screen paints are very good.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
It may help certain situations depending on product design and what the equipment sits on. I did not see a price so I can't comment on that aspect. It would probably be more helpful on stuff like transports or turntables. Lots of people make stuff at all price ranges. Bright Star Audio has little Isonode feet that stick on the bottom of the feet of the component. I think they are $12.50 for a set of 4 of the smaller sized ones. There are more expensive things as well. Here is a the Gingko Audio Cloud 10 platform:

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue13/son1.htm

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Iss...ingkoaudio.htm

In the middle of the page of the 1st link are pictures of a demo with and w/o the product. The second link is a more detailed review about the demo and picture. Whether the differences are audible in a given system or more audible vs. some rubber-like cheap isolation stuff one can buy at Home Depot or some cheaper product is a whole other issue. When one has a room with speakers and a subwoofer creating vibrations, it certainly can have an impact equipment with moving parts like a transport if it is not properly isolated. Some equipment racks can be filled with sand or other items to achieve a similar type result. Certainly nothing of great interest I'm sure to the majortiy of home theater enthusiasts.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Depending on the set-up, isolation can improve things. That does not mean everything places the same value on the cost, if any, for such tweaks. I've had people I know with poorly isolated equipment racks use such common things on top of a DVD player (as long as one is not blocking holes made for venting heat) as a big high school or college year book and been overjoyed with the improvement for free. Some equipment racks like the old Target one I have in my secondary basement system can be filled. Mine is filled with Target heavy metal stuff and perhaps some sand (forget)and the spikes go into the carpet. My main system has Salamander Synergy stuff which is nicer looking as furniture but probably not as good on stopping external vibrations. I would certainly try cheap readily available things to see if there was any difference at all in a particular set-up. It there isn't, then there is not much point to spend more money.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Depends upon whose profit you're talking about. But the time you get a product to retail there's lots of chains and mark-up. For example, I can make a cable that might retail for $100 or less than $15. Of course that does not include buying stuff in quantities to get it cheaper (or maybe I could make it for $10 or less), I don't have to pay for advertising, rent, salaries, taxes, etc. So anytime you can DIY on something and get some of all of the results of something at the retail level you're doing much better. Getting stuff direct from online cos. (like SVS) eliminates some of the middleman profit too.

RickRO

Stunt Coordinator
Well if it's any consolation I would not order them. I feel that my 60.00 would be better served buying some new DVD's or maybe a nice dinner out with the wife!!

I think IMO you could classify these things in the same arena as the "High priced boutique audio cables" I really don't think that a modest HT system would get much benefit from these and if your system is a high end HT and you have the equivalent of the GNP of a third world country in your HT then your equipment should already have a high degree of internal damping

Just my .02 and your opinions may vary. Just wanted to bring this product to light for discussion sake.

Rick

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
My understanding that the other stuff he sells, the screen paint, is decent stuff. I think he posts over at AVS.

RickRO

Stunt Coordinator
Chu Gai

I have heard that too. In fact I have been looking for "alternatives" for the "traditional" type screens and was directed to the GOO screens. That is why I came across these little gems. I don't know but it sure does seem like hooey to me, but I don't have a specific degree in engineering though so I can't comment on that though. I do know through other disciplines that vibrations can kill just about any type of moving piece of machinery.

I do tend to look at it though as many around here look at Monster and Bose because they don't have "science" or specific measurements to back up their product.

I don't know just seems like a bunch of "junk science" and voodoo magic to me!

Just my .02

Rick

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
I can sort of understand why isolation might be appropriate for use with vinyl (The vibrations of the stylus are carry the signal. External vibrations add noise. Isolation techniques improve the signal to noise ratio. Duh). But for CDs? DVDs? What's the point beyond, say, making sure that the the drives are built solidly enough that a listener doesn't hear the motor?

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I just 'think' he's looking to cash in a bit on this. Kind of like drug stores selling stupid stuff that people believe in.

RickRO

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe I would buy it only if it came with 4 blue and 1 red gooey. I like blue better!

Nah! I think I'll take the 60.00 and treat the wife to a nice dinner out!

Well on second thought I have noticed a slight vibration in the turn table of my microwave.....I wonder if I applied the gooeys to the microwave I could get my food to heat up and cook more evenly? Hmmmmmmm?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks