What's new

Ok I'm ready for REAL speakers... (1 Viewer)

Stephen D L

Auditioning
I'm been running Bose speakers for the last 5 years and I just don't "feel" them anymore. I have TWO Acoustimass 5 Series III systems, one is the front L/R speakers and the second is the rear L/R speakers. They are coupled with a Klipsch powered subwoofer and Bose center channel. This gives me 3 subwoofers, 1 powered and 2 passive. For music I use Bose 301 bookshelf speakers. Needless to say it was interesting trying to explain all of this to the guy that wired my house during construction. Now that I've graduated from Pioneer to Denon, along with 2 Denon amps, I'm ready for the big boy speakers. What are the recommendations? I use my system more for movies than I do for music. Also I'm definitely going 6.1 now and 7.1 in my next house which will have a basement.

SDL

Mike Fassler

Supporting Actor
B&W, paradigm as mentioned above, countless others hehe so many choices, just let yer ears do the talkin :)

Mike_Skeway

Second Unit
Paradigm, B&W, Axiom, Ascend, Dynaudio, M&K, Onyx, Swan, etc, etc, etc.... :D

Best thing is to audition as many speakers as you can, in your home if that is possible. Make your choice from there. Auditioning is great fun too. :D

Greg Kolinski

Second Unit
Another good reasonably priced brand to ck out is
Mordaunt-Short.Dont see/hear much about them on most HT sites,but I am very happy with the MS-908's I got last year.Accesories 4 less,has some good deals on refurb stuff.

Greg

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Stephen if you give us a budget it might help out. Some speakers mentioned you can't demo locally but can order online and demo for 30 days and if you don't like them then you just pay the shipping to send them back.

PM me and I can give you some opinions...

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I will suggest you audition my favorite brand of speakers, Paradigm. There are several different series of speakers with models to fit any budget. Give them a listen.

Lev-S

Second Unit
Don't forget to sell your Bose crap on ebay for a premium price! Might as well profit from tragedy. ;)

Stephen D L

Auditioning
Since these will be the last speakers I purchase for a while (hopefully), I'm willing to spend as much as $2,000. The Axiom's look promising, but I will take everyone's advice and visit some of the local high-end vendors and listen to as many as I can.

SDL

BobAlbano

Second Unit
SDL, I would second or third some of the internet options that are available. Axiom, Ascend, and Onix Rockets are a few that offer very good performance for the money. Axiom will be the brightest of the bunch followed by Ascend and Rockets. Rockets are the only one of the three to offer REAL wood veneer on their cabinets...

I happen to prefer the Rocket sound however the best thing to do is listen to a wide variety of speakers for an extended time to see what sound you are looking for. Make sure that you listen at the loudest volume that you would ever listen at for more than a couple minutes as I found after the initial WOW factor wears off...fatigue can sometimes set in...Good luck with your decision! :cool:

KevinW

Stunt Coordinator
What? No love for Definitive Technology here?

Stephen, they're really worth hearing if you've got a dealer nearby. I love mine!

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Nick... love those speakers... wish I was Bill Gates though but am not so they are alittle out of my price league as I am sure they are out of most here. I think those with big bucks to spend have someone design their systems and probably do not do their own searching on the internet. With that being said.. My advice.... Go for the Rockets..!!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Hi all,

www.yawaonline.com has a great price on MB Quarts. Their online price may not reflect their selling price because they are authorized dealers and cannot post below MAP. But if you call them they will work with you.

I owned Energy C6s which I loved for 5 years. But after hearing the QLS-1030s and auditioning them at home, they've been moved to the bedroom. Check out my old MB Quart vs. Energy C6 shootout thread for more info.

IMO, these are great sounding, relatively unknown in the US, speaker makers. They're better known in Europe for their car speakers, but from what I understand their speakers are used by other respected manufacturers.

If you're local to Yawa (in Chino, CA) and are looking for great sounding speakers, it is more than worth the drive to audition them (I think that's the best way to judge if you like speakers). Yawa carries NHT, Wharfedale and other brands, none of which made me want to upgrade my C6s. But when they got the MB Quarts late last year, well they made a believer out of me. I had an in-home no risk trial and I ended up keeping them!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks