OK, I'm convinced. Seperate amplification makes a BIG difference.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Legairre, Dec 27, 2001.

1. Legairre

Legairre Supporting Actor

I finally started using my new amp. All I can say is WOW you seperates guys/gals are right. Now I know what controlled bass really sounds like. No more bass notes lingering around(very tight). Also the soundstage is now about 6 feet deeper And the clarity is incredible. Songs where you couldn't understand a word or two in the vocals(heavy rock stuff) are now understandable. I'm sitting here saying "oh that's what he's been saying, I thought it was something else".

Having a seperate amp has also shown me that what I thought was distortion free and sounded good with my Denon 3300 receiver at loud volumes was really slightly DISTORTED. Damn it sounds good now. It's almost as if I have new speakers. With the amp there's no strain on music. It seems like it's loafing and has so much left. A hell of a lot more than my ears or speakers could ever take.

I use to think multi channel (5 channel stero mode) on my Denon 3300 was the only way to go to get that airy/concert sound from CDs(except for critical listening). Now with the amp I only use regular old 2 channel stereo mode for everything. The amp is giving 2 channel stereo an airy/concert sound similar to 5 channel stereo. It sounds like there are actually speakers all around me in stereo mode. Now I know why so many of you stick with stereo mode. In the past stereo gave me the imaging(that is lost with 5 channel), but it never gave me a feeling of being surrounded like now.

Absolutely incredible.

I haven't had a chance to ring the amp out on movies yet, but so far I'm blown away by the difference it has made on music.

Thanks for listening to my rant.

Legairre

2. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

Welcome to the dark side. You'll never leave [​IMG]

3. Mal P

Mal P Stunt Coordinator

What amp did you buy Legairre? I'm moving towards separates myself.

Also, do you think it's worth getting a separate amp if one is running all speakers as small?

Cheers,

Mal

4. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

I've been following his posts. His wife made him wait until Christmas day to open his brand new Rotel 1095. At least I think that was the model.

5. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Hey Legairre, are you using the Denon as a pre/pro now? Are you looking to get a dedicated pre/pro for the Rotel? I have an Anthem MCA 5 that I cannot hook up yet because my receiver doesn't have pre-outs. I'm hoping for the same difference you hear when Outlaw releases their 950.

6. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

Welcome to the Amp crowd [​IMG]
    I felt the same way after I got my Parasound 1500A, just a warmth and clarity that wasn't there before. Bass is tighter, deeper, and everything just bloomed outward.
    I too am a true believer. [​IMG]

7. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Legairre,

Nice to see you have finally been allowed to play with the new toy. I felt the same way as you and I only added the Rotel 1066. You got the massive 1095. Personally I don't use my setup for music, its 100% movies. Just make sure you calibrate everything before watching. Like the your music, you'll hear things in movies you never heard before. Enjoy.

Kevin

8. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Stunt Coordinator

How do you connect the sub/amp to the receiver? I'm a big fat HT newbie! [​IMG]
    You hook the sub to the amp obviously.. then you connect the amp to your receiver? Is there a slot for that? Sorry for my ignorance.. I'm looking to get an unpowered SVS/sub very soon.. curious how it all works.
    thanks!
    Jim

9. Mal P

Mal P Stunt Coordinator

Howdy Jim,

The Rotel model Legairre apparently has is a 5 channel amplifier. It doesn't have a separate channel to power a subwoofer, as it's primarily designed to handle the front/centre/rear channels in a HT setup. You would connect the front/centre/rear pre-amp outputs from the receiver to the correct inputs on the amplifier.

The majority of subwoofers are powered, and I would suspect Legairre is feeding the unpowered "sub out" directly from his receiver to the correct input on his subwoofer.

Sincerely,

Mal

10. Legairre

I guess some of you have heard my whining over the last month about not being able to open my gift until Christmas. Thanks for putting up with the whining.

I didn't mention the model of the amp because I didn't want anyone to think I was touting any particular amp. I was just so blown away by how much of a difference a seperate amp made. But yep it's the Rotel 1095 and I couldn't be happier with it. It's definately my favorite piece of HT gear. I use to consider my subs the essential part of the HT experience. Now I could live without the subs(only if I had to) because when I drop out the subs. The amp gives my fronts so much bass that I could live with just the fronts for awhile if I had to.

I usually set my mains as large( I know but I like it). I've tried them set to small with the amp and I was still blown away. So in my case even with the mains set as small the amp made a big difference.

I'm now using my Denon as a pre/pro. I've been pretty hard on the Outlaws lately. Mainly because I'd been waiting since March for the 770 to come out in September. I'll be getting a pre/pro when the new ones come out with all the bells and whistles and the 950 is on my list. I won't be one of the first to try it though because my Denon works fine. I think I'll sit back and wait to see what the reveiws are first.

Here's how I have the Rotel and Denon setup.

Mains: Large

Center: Small

4 Surrounds: Large

2 150 watt 10" rear subs(one for each pair of surrounds), speaker level connected to the surrounds.

2 250 watt 12" LFE subs.

The LFE subs are split off the Denon's sub out.

If this is the dark side I hope no one ever turns on the lights.

11. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Legairre,

I wholeheartedly agree with you on this one...since installing my stereo Odyssey Stratos amp, I've been in audio heaven! Now, it's a case of "I don't know what to listen to first." I used to pretty much only watch DVDs (90%), but the Stratos has changed all that. Now, it's more like 25% movies, 75% music. The effect this amp has had on my system has been incredible...tight, clean bass (that I was missing just running through my Denon 3802 in stereo mode), vastly widened/deepened soundstage, increased imaging and oodles of details that were previously hidden. I've said this before...even commercials sound great now!

Good luck with your new toys!

Ron

12. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

I'm considering buying the AudioSource Model 3 amp for my front speakers. Anyone have any feedback on how well this model performs? Also, I've never done this before. I know I probably connect the front speaker preamp out on my Onkyo to the amp, but how does this change how the remaining channels will perform? Simply, will more power than is now the case be available for the remaining 3 channels by relieving the receiver of the load of the 2 front channels? Also, will the power drawn from the AudioSource automatically shift upward or downward when I control the Onkyo's master volume control, like it does with a sub? I know these are basic questions, but, well, this is like a new frontier for me. Thanks all for any responses.

13. Legairre

Dana,

I'm not familar with the Audisource amp, but I can help with you other questions. Since your receiver has only one power supply. Freeing up the front 2 channels should relieve the receiver of a good bit of the load. Leaving more power from the power supply to be used for the remaining speakers. Since each channels is a certain number of watts. You could get get more watts and get closer to the rated watts per channel if the power supply was really taxed, because the power supply will be competing for power from 3 instead of 5 channels.

When you connect the new amp. Run interconnects from the front left and right pre-outs on the receiver to the left and right inputs on the amp. Then disconnect your front left and right speakers from the receiver and reconnect them to the front left and right speaker terminals on the amp. When you adjust the volume up or down on the receiver the amps volume will automatically increase or decrease.

I hope this helps .

Ron,

I know what you mean. I haven't even used the amp for movies yet(I need time to re-calibrate my receiver with AVIA and SPL meter). I've been enjoying the music so much I just haven't had a chance yet. I plan on calibrating everything tonight so this will be a movie weekend. I use to be 80% movies 20% music. Those numbers will probably change to 50% movies, 50% music.

14. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Thanks Legairre

15. RobertW

RobertW Supporting Actor

try listening to music in your denon's direct mode, rather than stereo. i find it adds even more clarity and sparkle to the music.

i was looking at the rotel also, or the parasound 2205. they both sounded great, but each had their own styles. i couldn't wait to save up for the big ones, and since i've only got a pair of studio 20's at the moment, i picked up a parasound 1500a, like ric has.

everything you said about adding a separate amp is true.

16. Donald Shrum

Donald Shrum Stunt Coordinator

I hate to be the one to say something bad. But, the differance will be even better when you get rid of the Denon and go to a processor. I ran a Dennon with Aragon amps and it was great. Then I bought my EAD and WOW. But yes, welcome to the separate crowd. [​IMG]

17. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

I'll second Donalds statement. WHen I moved to my new Marantz AV560 from the Denon 1801 I was amazed. Now this could be due to the processing of the Marantz over the Denon. Who knows?? But I can say I enjoy the combo of the Marantz/Rotel over the Denon/Rotel. Not to knock the Denon or anything, it did serve me well.

Kevin

18. Legairre

Thanks guys. I definately plan on getting a real pre/pro. The Denon is just my "FOR NOW" pre/pre until all the new ones come out later this year. I'm looking for pre/pros in the 2K and under range. I guess I just have to wait and see what comes out.

19. george king

george king Supporting Actor

Legairre,
    Congrats!! I knew you would love the 1095. I have the smaller brother (1075), and like you immediately notice how much music improved. It is just like having a new system.
    Have fun and enjoy.[​IMG]