1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Ok I want to soundproof one of my rooms in my townhome. Need help.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by todd stone, Dec 11, 2001.

1. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

Not sure which forum this goes in, so...

I currently live in a 3 bedroom townhome. The 2nd floor has a room where all my home audio equipment is and games etc. It has a window and obviously a door to exit and a closet. It is carpeted. The next room over is another bedroom and the opposite wall has the stairs on the other side. I want to sound proof this room but not sure what I will need so my next door neighbors don't complain.

Thanks!

2. BertFalasco

BertFalasco Supporting Actor

Todd,
    Sorry to get your hopes up but I just wanetd to state that I'm in the same scenario. My neighbors complain (well once because I haven't turned anything up because I haven't had time to sit down and relax) over my mains, Klipsch SF-1s!! What in the hell do I do come a few months when I get my SVS?!?! Oh boy..
    I'll take any advice as well. [​IMG]
    -Bert

3. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

Bert, I hear ya. they complained at 5pm cause it was to loud?!? 5PM! I work 2-11pm. and on my ONE OFF DAY they complain, wtf!

4. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

anyone have any help for me?

5. Bill Bradstreet

Bill Bradstreet Stunt Coordinator

I think your answer really depends on how they built the firewall separating the two units. If you are in a very upscale townhome you may be lucky...they COULD have built two separate walls. I doubt that is the case though. If you share a wall, the bass will always be heard between the two units. I hear my neighbor's bass and they hear mine. Other than that I very rarely hear anyone even using their staircase (which is on the shared wall).

Good luck, but I doubt you ever be able to shield the bass from the neighbors.

Sorry! Of course, you could build a room in a room and maybe succeed.

I hope someone has a better answer than mine!!

6. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

damn, not the answer I was looking for. I can hear them going up the stairs sometimes. Sometimes I hear there alarm clock in the morning

7. Howard_S

Howard_S Supporting Actor

I'm looking for the same answers as well but so far what I have gotten is that there's really not much you can do unless you renovate and do your walls again.

8. Frank Frandsen

Frank Frandsen Stunt Coordinator

I had the same problem a few years back......Sold the townhome and bought a house.[​IMG] But really, your in bad situation with not many solutions. It will cost a small fortune to soundproof the room. If you really want to enjoy your system get a single unit dwelling.. i just have to deal with my wife now.
    Frank

9. Salvador

Salvador Second Unit

wives and girlfriends get so much of a bad rep here. hehehe, might be because they don't appreciate good home theater sound.