What's new

Ok I want to soundproof one of my rooms in my townhome. Need help. (1 Viewer)

todd stone

Screenwriter
I currently live in a 3 bedroom townhome. The 2nd floor has a room where all my home audio equipment is and games etc. It has a window and obviously a door to exit and a closet. It is carpeted. The next room over is another bedroom and the opposite wall has the stairs on the other side. I want to sound proof this room but not sure what I will need so my next door neighbors don't complain.

Thanks!

Mac F

Agent
your best bet would be to build a second wall inside the room, at least on the outside wall. Stuff it with fiberglass. It will have to be sealed or caulked along all edges to precent leakage of sound. This is more effective at higher frequencies. It may not be possible for you to keep your subwoofer isolated. Bass frequencies are transmitted directly by vibrations in the structure. How well this works will partly depend on construction of the existing common wall.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Sound dampening board helps alot, I used 2 layers and 3 layers of drywall along with insulation and resilient channeling on our ceiling (neighbors above us...you think you have it bad????)

Sound is like water... one samll hole and you will sink!

Electrical outlets boxes need to insulated

I used polycarbonate (bullit proof glass) on the insides of our windows, really helped.

As for a subwoofer.....nothing is going to stop really low bass. I went with a small subwoofer and bass shakers mounted to the couch.You feel them but the neighbors don't hear them.

And even with all the work we did and money we spent, the bitch upstairs complains! She has never done anything (we are in a 1896 Victorian which was built with no insulation etc). Before we started we could hear them whisper!!!!!

So @#$%^& them

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks