What's new

Ok, I need help with the titles of a couple of songs. (1 Viewer)

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I feel really stupid when I hear a commercial, want the song and then cannot find out the name of the song anywhere.
So, there are two Mitsubishi commercials out now where
one has the "Put you body in motion...etc."
and the other has another group singing
"I wish I knew what I know now. When I was younger."
I can't get them out of my head. Any idea of the artists, song titles and name of the CD's.
Also, is the rest of song's on the CD's any good? I know this is personal taste but are they in a similar vein?
Thanks,
Parker

Mitty

Supporting Actor
"I wish I knew what I know now. When I was younger."
I know there's a Rod Stewart version of that song - not sure of the name or the album or whether he wrote it, or if it's a cover.
How's that for vague?
wink.gif

Jay Cutler

Auditioning
Parker,
The Mitsubishi commercial song with 'put your body in motion' is done by 'The Wiseguys' and it's called 'Start the Commotion', and is on the album 'Antidote'. I haven't heard any of the other songs on the album, but like you couldn't get the song out of my head and had to get a copy of it.
Not sure about the other song though. I'll work on it...
------------------
"There are 2 major products that came out of Berkeley...LSD and UNIX....we don't believe this to be a coincidence!"
Link Removed

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Jay:
Thanks. I look forward to what you find out about the other.
I checked out some of the other songs from the Wise Guys album and I am not much of a RAP fan but I like the "Start the Commotion" song.
Parker

DonaldB

Supporting Actor
The title of the song that goes, "I wish knew...," is "Ooh La La" and was performed by The Faces featuring Rod Stewart. One place it can be found is on the Rushmore soundtrack.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Donald:
Thanks. I should know that.
I checked that out and even though it is the same song in the commercial it is a different group that is singing it other than The Faces. Any ideas?
Parker

DonaldB

Supporting Actor
I've only seen the commercial a couple of times, but it does seem to be the original version. I'll pay closer attention the next time I see it and report back here if it turns out to be a different recording.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, it's not the Faces version in the commercial-- nor is it the horrid Rod Stewart solo version either.
A quick search of usenet showed that:
A) This is a really popular question; shocking to find how many people haven't any knowledge of past pop music.
b) The version in the commercial is being attributed to the group called "Wiseguys", who seemingly did the OTHER song in the OTHER commercial. Turns out WISEGUYS also had a hit single called "OOH LA LA" (which was featured in a budwiser commercial), although not the same "Ooh La La" song as written by the faces...
If you Search UBL, you'll find a few dozen artists have released a song called Ooh La La; although I would guess few are covers of the Faces version: Bent Backed Tulips, Coolio, Cootie Williams,Drop City DJ's, David Hallyday, John Cale, Ronnie Jones, Justin Tubb, KMFDM, L.J.M., Mark Hummel, Perfect Gentleman , Red Eye, Rod Stewart, Ronnie Jones, Ronnie Lane, Silkworm, Sit 'N Spin, Smiley Lewis, Stanislawski Brothers, Tyrone Davis, Wayne Toups, Whiteboyz, The Wiseguys, Wise Guys, & Wiseguys (although one would assume the last 3 are all the same, credited to different phrasings on the name).
This recording was probably done specifically for the commercial (like the Gomez version of "Things are getting better" for Phillips).
To be honest I think the original Faces version kicks the commercial version in the ass-- the commercial version seems quite lacking.
-Vince
------------------
http://www.musicianassist.com
AIM: VinceMaskeeper
"If you want everything to be cheap then you're in the wrong hobby." -Rob Gillespie
"we are phallus of the musical genitalia" Face Whores by Link Removed . Download it RIGHT NOW!

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Vince:
You are probably right that they had to specifically recorded for the commercial. I agree that the Faces version is cool but I just like the instrumentation better for some reason on the version used in the commercial.
I used to listed to The Faces all the time. I am embarrassed that I forgot it so easily.
I am fickel when it comes to recordings. I went nuts trying to find the "right" version of Sleighride for years and just last year found the version I liked was done by Authur Fieldler and the Boston Pops.
For me its like someone else doing Weezer's Buddy Holly and trying to sound the same but not cutting it even though they sound close to them.
Oh, well. I was just curious.
Oh, the version of Ooh La La that Wise Guys sing is not the same song.
Parker

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Its almost completely off-topic, but as a point of trivia did you know that the Wiseguys song Ooh La La sampled the main hook from 'Jim on the move' by the great Lalo Schifrin? Wonderful groove that, sounding even better in its original form.

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
Just to add more detail, the song Start the Commotion has samples from another song. Those sections you here of guitar and fuzz bass are actually taken from a 1966 recording by the Ventures. The song is called Wild and Wooly from a concept album called Wild Things.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Well, with the commercials using their own versions of these songs I doubt I pick them up. Thanks to all for letting me know which was which.
Parker

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
I think the Boston Pops version of Sleigh Ride is good, but I just can't imagine any version better than the original Leroy Anderson version.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
well i was searching through posts and found this one on the exact subject i was wondering about.
i also want to know who sings/performs that song(wish i knew what i know know etc...)
so has anyone come up with it yet?
is there a good lyric web site that we could look the lyrics up on?
------------------
"I Meant Ass Whiplash."-----BENDER

Joel Turpin

Agent
Entertainment Weekly mentioned the "Ooh La La" song in their latest issue. They mentioned that sales of the Faces album had doubled from 36 to 72 a week since the commercial first aired. :)
They also mentioned that, as previously speculated, the version used in the commercial was indeed recorded solely for that purpose.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
They also mentioned that, as previously speculated, the version used in the commercial was indeed recorded solely for that purpose.
recorded by whom??
------------------
"I Meant Ass Whiplash."-----BENDER

Joel Turpin

Agent
That information was sorely lacking.
No telling whether or not they even recorded the whole song or just the snippet you hear on the commercial.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Just found this on Amazon:
>Reviewer: J.M. Manion (see more about me) from McDonald, PA USA After reading all the reviews of Faces CD's, everybody has it wrong. The title song, Ooh La La, wasn't sung by either Rod Stewart or Ronnie Lane. Read up on Faces/Stewart/Wood history & you'll find that Rod didn't think the song was up to his standards, although both he & Ronnie Lane took a turn at recording it. It probably had more to do with him not writing the song, but Wood/Lane writing it. Then the producer suggested Ronnie Wood give it a go with his first lead vocal performance. Once it was captured, the band decided to go with RONNIE WOOD's lead vocal on the song. It's Wood's version on the new t.v. commercial as well. Recently, Stewart warmed up to the song & recorded it himself, ................
>End of Quote
So, that sure explains why, when I read that this was Rod Stuart and the Faces, I thought, no way is that Rod. Unfortunately, Amazon does NOT have a sound sample of the track to confirm that it is in fact the one on the commercial.
Like a lot of folks, I think the cut on the commercial kicks butt. FWIW, my first guess was that this was a T-Rex tune, but obviously, that was incorrect.
Happy Listening,
BL

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Dohhhhhh!
While my last post is correct WRT to the song in question, I just realized that the song in question from the Mitsubishi commercial is not what I was looking for!
I found a sample of Ooh La La at CD NOW, and its not the song I thought everone was asking about.
The commercial that I am interested in (it is currently airing) is for a Mitsubishi Montero, and there are two guys tooling around. It starts out with a KILLER Guitar Riff. The lyric says something abouth being ...your 20th Century Toy (as best as I can tell).
So, does anyone know what that is????? Maybe I was right in the 1st place thinking it was T-Rex!
BL

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks