What's new

Ok I just made a big impulse buy! Someone tell me I done good! :) (1 Viewer)

Jim Carr

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought on EBAY from reputable dealer 5 slightly used NHT super zeroes for 275 shipped! That looks like an incredible deal.. someone please reassure me?
I've been making alot of posts about upgrades (from my Polk RM6600 system) and NHT came up ALOT. So I was searching EBAY.. saw this one JUST posted... and decided to buy it now before someone else scooped it up.
Did I do good?
My next purchase will be a quality center speaker (can I get one for < 250, suggestions) and the SVS sub that has been so reviewed by everyone here!
Thanks for everyones help!!!
:D
Jim

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
YES
Ya done good!
Now you will need more power!
Ahhahahahaah
J/k
You will love them. I love mine, just take time to listen and keep the sub quiet and subdued.
I was looking at those too. If I didn't have my upgrades done I'd have done the same.....
- CM:emoji_thumbsup:

Jim Carr

Stunt Coordinator
Sweet, thanks for the re-assurance.. had about 4 seconds of buyers remorse :D
Ok.. more power you mean better receiver? I have an Onkyo DS575x. I still have my polk crap center and the polk PW250 sub.
What do I buy now? :) Center, receiver, or sub?
Don't you just love spending other people's money! haha. I think center.. but what do I know. If I buy a center.. I'm going to put my Polk stuff on EBAY... it's only 3-4 months old.. I should have spent the money smarter at the time but that was pre-HTforum.com ;>
Jim

Tor Arne

Stunt Coordinator
Good deal!

I wish that buyers remorse would come before I bought something. Why is it that I only realize what I've done afte the purchase. :b

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
If you bought 5 super zero's why do you need another speaker for a centre? Unless the Onyko supports 6.1 formats? Personally I'd use the 5 super zeros' for the fronts, surrounds and centre and if needed use the old polk for a rear centre.

Jim Carr

Stunt Coordinator
Really? I thought the Center was very important. Is the NHT zero that good of a speaker for me to use it as center also? I was just about to buy a 8C PSB for the center and use the 5th as my 6.1 speaker.
What's the best thing to do here?
If I use the other Zero for my center, I can use the extra money for the SVS or the HSU sub! MMMMMMMMmm :)
What should I do??
Jim

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
well, as Rich said in the other thread, you need to timbre match your front three speakers. you need an NHT SuperCenter or the likes to get the most out of your listening. save the extra SuperZero for a rear center channel when you move to 6.1 (the Onkyo does NOT support 6.1 though...).

also, go with SVS-- check out the used stuff on the HTF for sale/trade hardware board.

Jim Carr

Stunt Coordinator
I think I'm going to do just that Tom.. thanks so much to you and everyone for all your help! After I piece this bad boy together I'll give you guys a break down of my upgrades with some pics and my (newbie) reviews :)
thanks again for all your help!
Jim

Mal P

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Jim,
In HT, matching the tonality of the speakers is very important. Often, manufacturers provide a dedicated centre speaker that matches the tonality of the Left/Right speakers. This ensures that sounds moving across the front soundstage have an even tone.
However, the very best tonal matching is done by using an *identical* speaker in the centre position, that is, the same speaker as what you're using for the left and right channels. Remember, a dedicated centre is not identical, it merely reflects the same tone of the L/R speakers.
Thus, I would reccommend you keep the extra SuperZero as your centre speaker (provided you have room for it, and it's magnetically shielded). Buy one more SuperZero for your 6.1 and whola, identical speakers all around, superb soundstaging :)
Cheers,
Mal

Jim Carr

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the re-assurance Mal.

I'll do that and when I'm ready to upgrade my receiver.. I'll get the upgraded NHT SuperOnes for the mains and center and move the zeros back for 7.1, I think that would be pretty sweet.

My god... SO MUCH stuff to buy.. so little time and money! How do you guys do it!?? LOL

thanks so much,

Jim

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
Jim:

My l&R fronts are timber matched with a VS2a center & super zero rears. In my opinion, the front soundstage is not handicapped at all. A strong center is necessary because movie dialog is concentrated to the center, not the l&R fronts.

If you like movies you want a strong center. Match it with identical speakers or timber match with like speakers but don't shortchange the front soundstage with a weak center.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
That's a great deal on great speakers, good find. Use a Zero for the center, see how it works out for you (I had the same setup years ago and it worked very well. And it's obviously the best timbre-match you'll find.) If you somehow find it lacking, upgrade. I'd certainly put other things higher up on the list, though.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Hey -

I only said "more power" because you'll find that they're less efficient. You'll crank it a bit higher for the same volume.

It WILL sound much better, though, and you won't run out of power with the Onk. I run 40w x 5 and can acheive much louder than practical levels. I can't say what db's, since I haven't measured without the sub. Maybe tonight....

Don't worry about that new center, the Zero will do fine. Be aware that NHT now uses metal domes in their new line, and the centers on Ebay/JR/Yawa are that style. If you find an NHT center, make sure the tweeter's a silk? one. There are 2 different models with the same woofer/tweeter.

How much $ do you have left???

- CM

Nick L

Second Unit
If you decide you don't like the NHT's you could always sell them...I'll give you $275 for them:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks