What's new

OK, I jailbroke...what now? (1 Viewer)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I thought I would see about jailbreaking my iPod Touch since this was released last week:
http://greenpois0n.com/2012/05/absinthe-2-0-has-arrived/
After Absinthe aborted in the middle of the first attempt, it succeeded on the second try.
I see Cydia now. First use prepared the file system and rebooted. Second use and I see various apps / tweaks / etc. I went in Developer mode, so I see everything that is available.
What are the essential apps that I should be considering? Are there additional apps for the iPhone that would be worth it?
If this works okay on the Touch, I'll consider jailbreaking my iPhone 4S.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I've been jbing my iPhone for years now and I find that there are plenty of tweaks available to modify the look and the way theiphone works.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I reverted back to iOS 5 on the touch. Now it's moot as I am running iOS 6 on the touch, iPad, and iPhone.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
TonyD said:
I want that.
$99 from Apple and you can get all the betas you want. Or wait a few months and get it for free.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Guess I'm a bit out of touch since I can't stand cell phones and only carry a cheap TracFone for emergencies, but what the heck is "jailbreaking"?
Since the thread was started by a moderator, I'm assuming it's legal. Just picking up the vibe that it's like hacking into the phone, trying to get apps free, etc.
Just a simple question, not trying to insult anyone.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
It is a way to get free apps but that part actually is illegal.
JB allows one to modify your iPhone well past anything apple will let you.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
TonyD said:
It is a way to get free apps but that part actually is illegal.
JB allows one to modify your iPhone well past anything apple will let you.
Thanks. Sounds kind of like a DVD player I bought years ago that had a "secret" hidden menu that allowed you to make it region free.
Once again, no insults meant, but just noticed that Steve isn't a moderator. I just see his name so often I thought he was.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Stan said:
Thanks. Sounds kind of like a DVD player I bought years ago that had a "secret" hidden menu that allowed you to make it region free.
Once again, no insults meant, but just noticed that Steve isn't a moderator. I just see his name so often I thought he was.
I was a moderator and a DVD reviewer at HTF back in the old days, after my DVD site folded.
There's nothing illicit about jail breaking as long as you keep to mods and paid apps. But there was nothing compelling to keep me jail broken. On the other hand, I love beta operating systems, especially those as mature as iOS 6. Siri on the iPad 3 is great.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I have the Apex with the hidden menu, I don't think it was illegal.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
The Apex was not illegal, you just had to get it from Circuit City, which was against DIVX law. I have the Apex and a Pioneer that with a little solder became multi-region. I also have an Oppo DVD player that has a hidden menu. Even though it is old, I still have it on my TV as my multi-region player.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Steve Tannehill said:
The Apex was not illegal, you just had to get it from Circuit City, which was against DIVX law. I have the Apex and a Pioneer that with a little solder became multi-region. I also have an Oppo DVD player that has a hidden menu. Even though it is old, I still have it on my TV as my multi-region player.
You guys are amazing. I would be so busted if I tried to sneak anything past this group. I do have the Apex and bought it at Circuit City. I still use it occasionally, works great even though it must be 12 or 13 years old.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I would have to look through to old bookmarks but I'm sure I have a link to te website that explained how to use the secret menu.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Yep - dead.
http://www.nerd-out.com/apex/
The player appeared early in 2000

Stan

Senior HTF Member
TonyD said:
Yep - dead.
http://www.nerd-out.com/apex/
The player appeared early in 2000
Printed a paper copy of the instructions, haven't seen it for years but know it's in the house somewhere. Luckily it's strictly a back-up machine I rarely use.
My main TV, where I still use my first DVD player, a Toshiba 2108 I got right around the time I joined this forum in the late 90s, still works perfectly. I'll also use my laptop at times.
Amazing how technology changes. I haven't shopped for new hardware except my now three week old laptop in years, but was helping an older neighbor set up a new HD set she bought last week. Had this little tiny machine I figured must be the router for her wireless, but it was actually her DVD player. My old Toshiba and Apex have got to be ten times the size. No need to replace them since they work great, but really surprising to see how small components have become. Way back in the olden days, late 80s I remember running the network for a company with about 150 employees. We had gigantic disk drives with less than 700MB of space and a main-frame with 16MB of RAM. My new laptop has 750GB of space and 8GB of RAM. Good old Moore's law.
Anyhow, enough of my off-topic chatter, didn't mean to hi-jack this thread, so back to jailbreaking.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
At my first real job in 1986-87, I worked for a company that had 1 gig hard drives, each the size of a washing machine.
Apex instructions...Google is our friend. http://www.eeggs.com/items/33270.html

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks