What's new

OK - I have to ask - SVS and other big sub question (1 Viewer)

Brian Elwood

Stunt Coordinator
I have read perhaps 70 reviews of the SVS 20-39 PVi and am starting to get worried.

90% say that are glass ratteling, lip curling awesome.

My question is - does it HAVE to be? I watch a ton of movies and listen to a lot of music NOT loud. Will NOT loud movie and music will wake the "hood".

Granted - I'm an old head banger that still plays some music . . . .to loud and I do like some movies . . . .loud.

But are all these reviews expressing their opinions about vision blurring, teeth rattling, couch moving, guts turn to Jell-O, pants waffling, stuff falls off the shelves upstairs, call the fire department during NORMAL play?

Or have I just made enemys with the next doors!

WayneO

Supporting Actor
If you calibrate the sub to the level of your other speakers, which is a must IMO, a calibrated sub will not over accentuate bass. Normal volumes should not cause major disturbances no matter what the sub capability unless a particular scene/musical note demands that it be. Having the SVS just ensures it most likely can handle it at normal and above normal volumes.

Tim Stumpf

Stunt Coordinator
A properly calibrated sub is not really supposed to call attention to itself any more than the other speakers do. If you are listening at low volume levels, you'll really only notice the sub when the source material calls for an explosion or kick drum or something similar to that. Most other times you'll just notice a richer, more defined low end. Having said that, bass waves do tend to penetrate walls and travel further than higher frequency waves, so I can't really say it will be no problem at all at any time. I used to live in an apartment and have a 20-39 PC+. I just had to keep the overall volume low most of the time. I'm sure the neighbors heard it once in a while but moderation is the key, especially later in the evening...

GregBe

Second Unit
I agree. A good sub, at normal volume levels, that is properly calibrated will give you clean authoritative bass. You don't have to shake down the walls to appreciate a better sub, although is can be a lot of fun from time to time ;) . That being said, if you are not going to push the sub all the time, you don't need the biggest and best sub out there, but still go for quality.

Greg

Aaron_Mum

Stunt Coordinator
You can adjust the volume of the sub relative to the rest of your speakers as quiet as you like it so don't be scared off.

The reason that having a good quality sub is nice is because you have the option of shaking the house if you want to. Remember that you are not only getting the capability of shaking the house but also getting great low end detail at any volume, this is very nice when enjoying your favorite CDs. You're not going to knock the walls down with the average recording but the bass guitar and kick drum will sound like they are right in the room with you.

The reason guys around here are steering you towards an SVS is because you can have all that at a great price. The volume you play it is up to you.

Brian Elwood

Stunt Coordinator
OK - thanks - I had always considered a sub as a PART of a system, not the MAIN element

The blow away part should be the package as a whole, not one component.

Most reviewers seem to think that ratteling the glasses means VICTORY. I have nothing against ratteling glasses, my current sub does not and I'm looking forward to being ABLE to rattle.

I just did not want to do it ALL THE TIME!

Looks like I'm taking Wednesday off - Sub day! :)

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Your sub will not rattle glasses at low volumes any more than your tweeters will shatter glasses at low volumes. Just make sure you calibrate it with the rest of your speakers so all levels are matched. Trim it up or down to your personal liking (if you wish) and you are good to go.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Brian:

The SV subs have the ability to play deep, loud, and clean. That doesn't mean you have to exploit it every time you fire up the system.

SV subs stay linear (with respect to frequency response AND distortion limited output) at all volumes within their safe operating range. They excel at tests which measure dynamic compression and bandwidth linearity. In comparison, inferior subs will lop off (compress) the entire bottom octave at higher volumes.

At high playback volumes, the more powerful SV products will often elicit "wow" type comments from people (include me in that crowd too). They can throw you directly into the heart of an action movie like few other subs out there.

I'm pretty jaded about bass at this point, and the PB2-Ultra still delivers the thrills. We were playing Iron Giant at near reference (again the operative key being high playback volume) the other night, and frankly I was astounded at the sheer effortless, gut-wrenching dynamics the PB2-Ultra displayed during some of the bassiest scenes in this movie. When the Giant ran across the field and jumped into the lake, all I could do was shake my head in disbelief - just unreal.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
My question is - does it HAVE to be? I watch a ton of movies and listen to a lot of music NOT loud. Will NOT loud movie and music will wake the "hood".
__________________________________________________ _____

Not at all Brian. As long as you calibrate accordingly and keep your listening level down. The hood ought to do just fine and you'll wake up to a new day fully intact..

Admittedly the spl factor that our SVS subs provide does play a role with many of us here on the Forum, but we turn our volume up.;) We also like the capability our SVS subs have in the lower Hz material. Where other subs go bla the SVS will sing. Bass comes in many different flavors and this isn't realized until listened to on a good quality sub. Not that SVS is the only choice but for the $$ it presents a good standard/target to beet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks