Ok, I have the adapter for TRS to RCA, now no output from svs???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott_E, Sep 21, 2001.

1. Scott_E

Scott_E Stunt Coordinator

Well here goes. I got the connector, its a 1/4 TRS that accepts RCA. Well, I put that into input one, plug my catcable into that, and then plug that into my reciever's sub out. Then, using the output 1 outputs on the samson, I hook up my samson to my svs. I made sure the polarity is correct. Well, then, in speaker setup, I set subwoofer to yes. Return the amp and everything is powered up, amp comes on and all. The problem, is when playing a signal, I get no output from the sub. Even when I turn the dial on the samson, no leds light up either. What gives?

2. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Try setting all speakers to small.
    Does the sub work during calibrations tones?
    TV

3. Scott_E

no, there is no output even during calibration tones. I didnt get the same adapter you showed me. Mine isnt gold, its silver looking. I'm almost sure though that wouldnt have anything to do with it.

4. Scott_E

I have an Onkyo 595 also if that helps anyone figuring out whats wrong here.

5. Tom Vodhanel

Try swapping out the sub cable and putting in any old composite video cable you have laying around.make SURE you dont have the amp set to *bridge* mode.
    If that doesnt help,
    1)put the sub cable into the channel #2 on the S700, set it to STEREO mode...turn the volume full throttle on gain knob number two...and give it a go.
    2)swap out the speaker wire you're using and try another piece.
    Do you have a multimeter? If so...check the reading on the subwoofer binding posts...should be in the 3.8-4ohm range.
    TV

6. Scott_E

Ok, I when playing test tones, I seem to be getting some output, but very very little. I have to turn the gain on the amp all the way up, and set the sub to +12 on my reciever, and then I hear an airy noise. I dont think I have to turn it up that much to get anything do I?? What should the test tone sound like normally??

7. Scott_E

A little something else that is strange, when I turn the volume all the way up during the test tones, to 68, and set the sub volume on speaker setup to +12, then the first green LED lights up. I thought they were all supposed to be lit up when calibrating the gain on the amp?? Maybe I'm mistaken?? Maybe its because I'm not playing any source like a movie or music right now, just the test tones? But I should have to turn the sub to +12 and the volume to like 60 to hear the test tone should I?? I played a movie or two earlier and there was nothing.

8. Tom Vodhanel

You shouldn't have to turn it all the way up like that.Make sure there's no *limiters* engaged on your receiver.(subwoofer specific limiters).
    Are you using a SPL meter? What's it max reading say 3 ft from the sub during the calibration tone?
    Try the channel #2 procedure I outlined above, and try swapping out the cable and the speaker wire too,
    TV

9. Scott_E

Ok, I just disconnected all the speakers in my system except for my sub, and watched the matrix helicopter scene. With the volume on my onkyo up to 60, and the sub set to +12 on the reciever, gain all the way up on the amp, I can bairly hear the bass, its there, but just bairly. This cant be right when I see people with mind numbing bass and there sub level at like what -5 or something?

10. Scott_E

swapped out cables and rca's. No difference. There has to be something I'm overlooking. I dont know what it is....I'm extremely frustrated at this point. SVS bass is so close, I can taste it....I'm just not there yet.......sigh......

11. Scott_E

oh yeah, and I dont have an SPL meter, as I cant see a use for it yet, if I have almost no output.

12. Tom Vodhanel

>>>>There has to be something I'm overlooking

13. Scott_E

I just read in the Samson manual, that the first LED should light when a signal is present, and I'm not even getting that. I have no idea at this point. Ill go through the Onkyo 595 manual another time or two.

14. John Morris

John Morris Guest

My guess is with your 1/4 to RCA adapter. I ran into a bad one too before it fell apart in my hand... and then I knew what the problem was... Try another adapter if you have one, or at least make sure that it is screwed tight and not broken. Finally, make sure that it is a mono-adapter and not a 1/4 stereo plug adapter. You can tell by looking at the pointy end of the adapter for a ring line. One is mono, two is stereo.
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    [​IMG]
    God Bless America!!!

15. Scott_E

I think you might be on to something. Man, you got it, My adapter has two rings on the end. Its silver and it has the pointy end and has two black rings on the end of it? Would that mean its a stereo plug? Do I have the wrong one??

16. John Morris

John Morris Guest

17. Scott_E

I'm guessing that I have the wrong adapter, I have a stereo adapter, not a mono. So thats probably what my problem is. My adapter has two rings at the bottom, the link Tom gave me in email to the Radioshack part has one ring, as well as the link you gave me has one ring. I really appreciate you offering to send me one, but I'll just stop by the shack tomorrow and pick one up. Does anyone one else agree this is my problem?? Thanks for all the help fellahs, another great reason I love this board.

18. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Scott: Make sure you turn DOWN all the level settings before you use the mono adapter. If you do not... bad things will happen. If your RS is out of stock, just let me know, and I can send you one... I live in the Houston area and can probably send you one via snail mail before a company can ship you one. LMK, and good luck!!!
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    [​IMG]
    God Bless America!!!