What's new

Ok, I have picked an HDTV. Do I need a new DVD Player? (1 Viewer)

Dan DRC

Stunt Coordinator
I posted a thread in the display forum about which tv to get. So I decided on a Hitachi 46F510. So now my next question is this. My DVD player is a Panasonic RP-56. Would I benfit more
by running comp output from RP -56 and let the TV do the upconversion? Or should I get something like a Denon 1910 or Bravo D2 and use the DVI output and let the DVD Player handle the upconversion? I know the best way is to just buy one and find out but I wanted to know if anybody had any experience with this set. Thanks

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
A DVI connection will give a better picture than a component video connection, all other things being equal.

A reasonably good way to evaluate a TV's upconversion is to audition it in the store, connecting up a nonprogressive DVD player.

Get the TV first, worry about the DVD player later. You may well find that your existing player connected via component video (letting the TV do any other needed conversion) is good enough for you. A player with DVI may still deliver 480i or 480p and then the HDTV set will still be processing (upconverting) the video to 1080i or 720p. If the player does deliver HDTV format, then you have to worry about how the player got from 480i (how the video comes off the disk) to HDTV format. For now I suggest Googling for Stacy Spears Shootout and choosing from one of the players reviewed there. If you cannot find any reviews anywhere about a player, you are taking your chances on how well that player upconverts video if you use anything other than 480i component or S-video output.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/viddoubl.htm

PeterK

Supporting Actor
Once you compare the upcoverting one to a regular DVD player, please post your thoughts. I have the Hitachi 51F500 and want to know if it is worth the upconverting dvd player. On my tv (and probably your's) there is a "virtual HD button" that toggles between 540p and 1080i so I am assuming that a 720p dvd player would be better. about dvi. I don't see why you would need to use it other than because the dvd player requires it for HD. The set is analog anyway so wouldn't component work just as well anyway? One more thing, when I am watching TV and dvd's and switch between 540p and 1080i I notice absolutly no difference in PQ. Is this normal?

John S

Senior HTF Member
Normal.. very little difference between the two of them.
There is a slight difference, but only certain sources will reveal it and you still have to look hard to see it.

The DVI / HDMI -vs- Component thing is still more a finction of the various devices that are being connected, than really which connection is actually better.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I have the Zenith DVB 318 and I tried 480p via component and allow the t.v. to use it's DRC to upconvert it to 1080i and I found that the player did a better job in processing the signal. It's a beautiful picture using an upscaling player and some movies really shine. My vote is to get the upscaling player and I think I read on this forum that the Zenith is now 169.00, get the software to have it upscale via component, sit back, relax and enjoy your new toys. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks