What's new

Ok, I gotta ask this question (about Manimal and Automan)... (1 Viewer)

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
Are their really folks out their excited to get MANIMAL?? Really??

Even more surprising if anyone was excited for AUTOMAN!!!!

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
Being a fan of 80's TV, I was excited to see the announcements for these but then I realized that I never actually watched them. I remember wanting to watch Manimal. These will be an interesting blind buy when the price is right. :)

mrz7

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Zuncic
Yes....I was a little underwhelmed by Shout Factory's announcements of these two titles (along with a few others they announced today. Not something that I want.....I would have preferred something like "The Drew Carey Show", "Knots Landing", "One Day At A Time", "Phyllis" or the last season of "Rhoda"......but everyone has their own tastes and own holy grail shows that want released. I just never heard or watch these two ("Manimal" and "Automan"), but they are apparently a big deal to some of the posters on the forum....not for me though.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
I'm happy for you guys that want this stuff...seems to me that the best thing about MANIMAL would be the lovely Melody Anderson...

I know it's not possible, but it would be great if Shout could include the many Johnny Carson jokes from the Tonight show where he liberally savaged MANIMAL during his monologues...if memory serves me, MANIMAL was second only to SUPERTRAIN in Johnny's ridicule of NBC shows during this period...

If that was included as an extra, I might buy this set, ha, ha...

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Personally? No, I'm not excited. Then again, I also can't imagine getting excited about another short-lived, failed series - Young Maverick. But I'm sure there's at least one person who'd buy it. ;)

But seriously, while I'm not interested in these 2 particular series, I'm glad to see Shout (or anyone) release some of the many one-season and two-season shows that seem unlikely choices.

I could make a list of quite a few shows only lasting a year or two from the 50s to the early 90s that, while not on my remaining "most wanted" list, I'd gladly purchase. I think most (if not all) of us have at least a few shows we'd like to have that most others would never imagine anyone wanting.

I hope these sell well enough - and that Shout's expectations are realistically low enough - that it leads to the release of other short-lived and forgotten shows that I WOULD be excited about.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I'm glad they are coming out. During my teenage years, I watched Automan first run and loved it (although I'm guessing it doesn't hold up too well today...but then again neither do hit shows like Different Strokes and Full House). It's just nice to see something else being released rather than the latest one season show that just got cancelled or the umpteenth repackaging/re-release of Lucy or Star Trek, etc.

The other answer to your question is that these are cult shows and although their following is substantially smaller than other cult shows like Dark Shadows and the like, there is still a devoted ready to buy audience for some of this stuff, hence the extras on the sets.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
It would be nice to see some other short lived 80's shows released but I wouldn't expect it if it doesn't have a sci fi theme or a cult following. My big three personally would be It's Your Move, Open All Night, and Best Of The West, but I'm seriously doubting that will happen in a million years. Thank goodness for my complete alternative sets on 2 of those (still missing many eps of Open All Night - Very hard show to find)

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I guess it really depends on your age. As someone who was already an adult when those shows aired, I never saw them. Had I been a kid at the time, I'm sure I would have loved them the same way I loved horrendous shows like Gilligan's Island, It's About Time, Baileys of Balboa and Camp Runamuck when I was in elementary school.

Moore Maxx

Stunt Coordinator
Now that Fred Savage has a new show debuting on Fox this coming season, who do we contact at Shout to see if they would release his other comedy "Working"?. Would love to see a complete series release of this show.

MAXX

phenri

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
I remember the announcer for ABC at the time, Ernie Anderson, exclaim in the show's promo; Automan! Masquerade!

So, when is Masquerade being released? :)

Scott511

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
Vahan_Nisanain said:
Will PAL speedup be an issue for the DVDs?

If they are, no big loss, because plenty of NTSC copies of both shows exist among collectors.
If it's Shout in conjunction with Fabulous Films, it's a 50/50 chance there WILL be PAL speed up.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I'm glad I really don't have any interest in either show, because honestly if it was one of my favorites and only available PAL that would be a dealbreaker for me in some cases because my ear is much too sensitive to that kind of thing.

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
That wAs good. No one got offended! I totally get that everyone has odd shows from the past they wanna see released ( yep, Young Maverick!! And Sanford!!).

I just intended this thread to be a light hearted bit of fun.

Oh, and I'd buy Dirty Sally as well, if they released it!

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
I liked Automan but didn't care for Manimal.

They're both more than a little dated now but I would like to see Automan again, just for kicks.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
I'm happy for the fans, but I'd be more interested in DARKROOM (yes, I know it's been already out on DVD in Australia) or CLIFFHANGERS!.

But hey, let's get a pool going... how long will it be before Shout also gives us A MAN CALLED SLOANE, OTHERWORLD, MISFITS OF SCIENCE and THE HIGHWAYMAN? Oh wait, scratch that last one... Fox owns it. :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks