Ok i got A Question! lol

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by MichaelZee, Apr 5, 2005.

1. MichaelZee

MichaelZee Auditioning

Ok. I have analog cable (basic cable) running through my Apartment. I am buying a new plasma TV really soon. I know that the signal looks like hell on a plasma screen tv.

Well my question is .. can I buy a digital receiver somewhere like (ebay) and hook the regular cable up to the digital cable receiver and get a digital picture on it? Can it work like this?

Example a normal Comcast digital cable box!

2. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Most "over the air" (OTA) digital tuners do not support the DTV encoding method employed by cable companies -- they are different and incompatible.

The good news is that if Comcast is your cable provider, they will provide you with a high-definition cable tuner that will connect to your new plasma HDTV. Any other cable system that sells HDTV service will do the same.

3. Dick Boneske

Dick Boneske Stunt Coordinator

Any cable company will provide the hookup and equipment at no cost or Direct TV or Dish will also provide installation of HD equipment with minimal charges if the landlord would allow.

If you are near stations that broadcast HD, which is most of them now, a small antenna would allow HD with no extra equipment or costs. If that's the case, buying a TV with built-in HD tuner would be wise. I am 50 miles from the broadcast towers and get a great digital signal from all five broadcast stations in Green Bay, Wisconsin. The antenna is in my garage above the joists.

4. MichaelZee

MichaelZee Auditioning

thanks.. but i live in a college town and i dont think i can get any differ cable .. its provided in the monthly payment . thats why i was just wondering if i can hook a digital cable box up to a regular cable line!

5. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

The only thing I can suggest is to use the vcr to process the cable signal and use the composite video from the vcr to the cable t.v. It might improve the picture slightly depending on how good the connection is.