What's new

Ok, I don't get it, why did 'FAMILY GUY' fail? (1 Viewer)

James Davis

Agent
Imo, FG when it was running was much more entertaining than the Simpsons. Don't get me wrong, I love the Simpsons, and I've been watching them since the beginning. FG wasn't about growing on the chars, it was about raw humor. The parodies were fresh, it wasn't things everyone else parodied, that were cliched and hackneyed. Personally I grew to love the characters for their unique traits.

FG may not have a wide spread audience, but I think it had more than plenty to keep going. Fox tossed it around then threw it in the toilet. 8pm Thurs at the time was a time slot for shows they shouldn't care about, not brand new shows to face the juggernauts. Then after that it bumped around so much not even the strong followers could tune in, yet alone a wider audience.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
It's also worth noting that later episodes were much better than the early ones. I was not amused at all by it when it first started, but when I later saw it in front of The Tick, I laughed pretty hard and made an effort to catch it later. A TV show these days really has to hit the ground running, which Family Guy failed to do.

And I have a hard time thinking of a show that lasts three seasons as a "failure". It's not a hit, but it's a run that many better shows would have liked.

Carlos Mendoza

Stunt Coordinator
Here's what I didn't get: Could the rest of the family hear Stewey or not?

Sometimes they seemed to react to what he was saying, but most times his words seemed meant only for the audience.

On the other hand, the dog is heard by everyone, or was it just the Father?

All in all, the episodes that I watched were hilarious, but some of them pushed the envelope a little too far, IMO.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Here's what I didn't get: Could the rest of the family hear Stewey or not?
On the other hand, the dog is heard by everyone, or was it just the Father?
This debate surprises me. It never occurred to me that anyone might NOT hear these characters. They all seem to interact in a straight-forward fashion when speaking to each other. They just don't take Stewie seriously because he's an infant. And all of the characters have had conversations with Brian the dog.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
It got cancelled because no one watched it. If my friends and acquaintances are any indication, no one watched it because no one liked it.

Geez, even I didn't like it for a long time. I finally warmed up to it after it was one foot in the grave.

And IIRC, Fox renewed FG for one more season, surprising everyone. This included staff members who had already gotten other jobs assuming FG was cancelled. So you can't say Fox couldn't wait to get rid of it.

If I can offer any analysis as to why people didn't like it, I'd have to go with the theory that the plots were pretty limp. The best part of FG are the gags, and I don't think America has much patience for highly referential one liners, non-sequitors, and sight gags when they don't care about the situation. The Simpsons are pretty much in the same boat now, but when it started (and when it exploded in popularity) it was a different, plot driven show. Now it just coasts along in the ratings occasionally buoyed by guest stars (said Simpsons commentary refers to the ratings and not the quality of the show itself, which is the subject of another debate).

When it comes to sitcoms, America likes well plotted stuff like Seinfeld and Friends. They don't like shows that full of random humor.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
There was an interview with Family Guy creator Seth MacFarlane on tvshowsondvd. In it MacFarlane said that the only reason FG got a third season was because of letters from fans. (I think this was also said in the remnants of the DVD commentaries, but I'm not sure.)

Jim DiJoseph

Second Unit
This debate surprises me. It never occurred to me that anyone might NOT hear these characters. They all seem to interact in a straight-forward fashion when speaking to each other. They just don't take Stewie seriously because he's an infant.
Actually, according to Seth in the DVD commentary, this issue was intentionally left vague most of the time. Sometimes it was clear that adults could hear and understand Stewie, but most of the time adults would just gloss over his ramblings. Much like the reactions (or non-reactions) to the atempts at Lois' life...which was part of the gag.

Anyway, as an avid fan, and with many friends who were avid fans, the reason why the show failed to stay on in our eyes is because of the oft-mentioned shuffling of the airing day and time. We actually had to make an effort to find out when the show was on next. I can't imagine what was going on in the minds of Fox executives.

By the way - can't wait for Season 3 due out in September, I think! :D

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Actually, according to Seth in the DVD commentary, this issue was intentionally left vague most of the time.
I've always paid attention to this and it's definitely obvious that everyone can communicate with Brian because they'll all have actual conversations with him.

As far as Stewie, I don't think that anyone understands him, it seems like they are reacting to his motions rather than what he's saying. Not to get too deep, but I also think that it's more like he's babbling (baby talk) and we (as the viewer) are hearing what he's thinking. Brian can understand him probably because dogs are more in tune with peoples emotions and thoughts.

IMHO :D

James Davis

Agent
Seth said in an interview that everyone heard Stewie. I never even considered that he wasn't heard til friends kept asking that question. He got the idea from a very lil kid (relative? I read it awhile ago, don't quite remember) yelling "Go to Hell!" to his mother leaving. Everyone got a chuckle because they didn't take the kid seriously. Anything Stewie says, is just seen as cute and not taken seriously, but is understood.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
The fact that people don't pay any attention to what Stewie says is a big source of humor for me, and a big source of frustration for Stewie. :) If only they realized the evil that lurks in that boys heart, they'd be afraid, very afraid. :laugh:

And people can indeed hear Brian, his shrink was asking him direct questions and Brian was answering. Brian also said in one of the eps that the reason he was taken away from his mother was because his ability to talk made him special.

Alright, I think it's conclusive that the changing time slots did the show in, that and it's competition so I suppose that's that.

Still, I really wish the show would return someway, I love it to death! Seems like such a shame to pull the plug on such a gem. :frowning:

Trenton McNeil

Second Unit
If everyone had TiVo, this show would never have been cancelled (or...all non-premium channels would have been cancelled, and FG would be airing on CartoonHD by now)

Mike Miskulin

Second Unit
My impression with the series was that FOX killed it outright. I've never heard anyone conected to the show state this, but it is the feeling I always had.

Look, they kept switching the time slot, had it running during the summer, and in the third season put ZERO advertising dollars into it. Many weeks I didn't know a new episode was on unless I checked tvguide.com and back then I watched a lot of FOX programming.

Politics, above and beyond all other reasons, led to the show getting the axe, IMO. Someone high up didn't like the show, or had a grudge against Seth and killed it plain and simple.

Ther are numerous second rate shows on FOX that have done well because FOX onstantly airs promos and rams the show down our collective throats. If they did half the amount they usually do for the final season of the Family Guy, the show would have taken off. FOX didn't bother for some reason and the show died.

Still, pulling an 8 share against Friends and Survivor was pretty impressive, yet it still got the axe.

Complete idiots at FOX...

mike.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks