What's new

OK, I bought AS-F2/AS-B2 What to use for Center??? (1 Viewer)

jasonGK

Auditioning
I am fairly new here.

I bought a Yamaha 2400 receiver and AS-F2's for the fronts AS-B2's for the rears.

What should I use for a Center Channel for the fronts???

What SVS sub would be good for Movies? Preferably under $1000.

I have seen post recently saying that the Athena center is not good for the AS-F2's. I use the system for watching movies 99% of the time.

If the Athena center is not the best choice, then what would be a good match?

Thanks,
Jason

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Another B2 would be a good one. Buy a pair if you have to, sell the odd man out. That's what I did for a B1 for center, worked nicely.

Or buy that center and try it. If you have to, return it and go with another plan. That's really what I'd do.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Not sure about the center as I'm not familiar with those speakers.

As for the SVS. Let us know your room size and preferences (box vs. cylinder, loud vs. deep). The PB2-ISD would hit right at $1000 after shipping and would be great if you like the box subs. Oh, and any SVS will be good for movies, but some might meet your preferences better than others. Also, shoot an e-mail to SVS with your questions and they'll be more than happy to work with you.

jasonGK

Auditioning
The room size is about 15 x 25 with the right side wall having 19feet opening in the center of it into another room about the same size. Basically that side has about three feet of wall on each side.

As far as cylinder/box shape. I don't really have a preference.

Thanks,
Jason

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
I had the original 20-39CS in a 13x28x8, open in 2 places. It would literally shake the water pipes on the other side of the house so violently with a 20Hz tone I feared they would burst. Never was able to bottom it, even with agressive EQ and 250 watts.

I now use the same driver in a 90 liter DIY box tuned to 22-24hz, fantastic sound. EQ is very necessary, though. Placement makes a difference, but I will never go without EQ again.

I say go for the 16-46 in whatever config you feel you need.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
If you don't have a preference in box vs. cylinder I would recommend the pb2-isd as it would allow for different tunings to your liking. Also, you've got a pretty large room with a very large opening, so the extra SPL provided by the 2 drivers could be very beneficial.

Dan Halchak

Stunt Coordinator
I would say either the PB2-ISD, or the PC+ 20-39...would be right about your 1000 mark, shipping included. The PB2 will have a little bit more headroom to it...

I would try to get another As-F2 for the center. :) Though I know a floor standing center is not an easy choice. I would think the B2s should work well if you don't like the center channel.

How about the Athena Model C1? Isn't that different from the AS-C1? Or is it the same setup?!

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter

The Model C1 is out of production.

Unfortunately, the AS-C1 is the perfect match for the AS-F2s. I tried a few different centers for my AS-F2s (Paradigm, Axiom, Klipsch) and none of them provided a satisfactory match for the Athenas. I have now officially gone back to the Athena AS-C1, and while it definately is a bit undersized and lacks presence, I have reluctantly decided that I can live w/ it. YMMV.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I use an AS-F1 as a center between two AS-F2s, but this is only feasible with front-projection. I'd second the B2 suggestion.

Dwayne-S

Agent
The AS-C1 blends better after break in, but is not sonically identical to the AS-F2's. I have also tried a Klipsch KV-1, which is close but not any better. Luckily, my Yammy receiver has a 5 band EQ for the center channel that let's me adjust some of the difference out. Check out eBay for some deals on Klipsch right now.

Theon

Agent
I've tried two AS-B2s as a centre channel (albeit very briefly) and found that you need them pointing at the listener for them to work well. Since it's hard to point two AS-B2s on a projection TV, I went back to my AS-C1 since there wasn't a noticable increase in sound quality. I find the AS-C1 to be very capable.

jasonGK

Auditioning
Thanks for the info. I might try the as-c1 before going other routes.

Now if I can only decide on a TV.
50" plasma or wait for the new DLP's coming out in a few months...

Thanks again,
Jason

Dwayne-S

Agent
Go with DLP. Plasma's are too expensive per square inch of display area and are subject to burn-in. There are many new display technologies coming out, the least of which is TI's xHD3 DLP chip. This should lower the cost of machines currently using hte HD2+ chip, which are very capable right now. I have seen the Infocus 7200 (HD2) and the Sharp 12K (HD2+ w/ 7 segment wheel). Both are very fine displays, with black and green rendiditon going to the Sharp, while the 7200 has better light output.

Chris Sherman

Second Unit
I have Sound Dynamics all the way around in both my main and bedroom systems. They were designed by Gordo Van Kessel , the same designer of the Athena line. In fact Sound Dynamics were phased out by API with Athena being the new "budget" line. Mirage and Energy remaining as their higher end speaker lines . Gordo knows how to make speakers that sound way better than they have any right to at their price point. I'm a big fan of his designs, a really talented speaker designer. Remember the center channel pulls the heaviest duty of any amplifier channel accounting for 80 percent or more of the load. I run AVR's but use Outlaw M200 monoblocks for my center and subwoofer . You might think about allocating more power to your center channel. I have not heard the Athena center but my SD center can keep up with my mains easily with 200 watts on tap.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
The AS-C1 works. Don't take other people's word for it until you try yourself. I'm happy with mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks