What's new

Ok, I am in serious need os assistance...please? (1 Viewer)

Bobby_N

Agent
Ok, I am looking for online resources for GOOD prices on power amplifiers. I am looking for a Sherbourn 5/1500 NOT the A model, the original (hey, its a good amp...just discontinued) anyone know any resources that I might check? Ok, or if I cannot find another sherbourn, is Outlaw any good? They have good prices, but gee...i'm not sure. I am going to need 12 channels of power, I have one five channel, so, I will need to obtain another five channel and a two channel, but I want them to be of the EXACT same model type, other wise there will be a difference in the sound I fear, and besides, they are asking a little too much for the new 5/1500A - which, I would not be able to use to its extent anyways, I don't have XLR outputs (Yamaha RX-V1). And I thought they made 3 channel power amps, am I wrong?

Or for you home theater guru's out there that have been doing this for longer then me, would bi-wiring the back channels make a difference? I plan on using Paradigm Studio Reference 20's (3 of them) for the back channels...or would bi-wiring JUST the front channels (Main L, R, Center) be more beneficial - sorry bad spelling, in a hurry...anyways...what do you guys suggest...I am in serious need of help, because I don't know which way to go, i've heard the difference in bi-wiring the mains, and it makes a considerable difference, however, I just want to know, with the way DD/DD-ES/DD-EX works, would there be a gain from this?

JeffHayes

Stunt Coordinator
Bobby... I can't vouch for either of these places personally, but I have read several threads saying they were good places to snag stuff for reasonable discounts... take it for what it is worth.
Soundpros:
http://www.soundpros.com/
HiFi Heaven:
http://www.hifiheaven.net/
Also, it's always a good idea to try OneCall:
http://www.onecall.com/
Also, if you are not aware, there is a guy named Jason who works for OneCall... he does Group Buys over on the Home Theater SPot forum every month. Perhaps you can ping him over their. The only thing you need to do is register for that forum and then send him a private email with your forum screen name. Here's the link to the right forum:
http://www.hometheaterspot.com/ubb/u...ubb=forum;f=60
Also, if used gear is a possibility, check www.audiogon.com as well as the usual suspects www.ebay.com and www.ubid.com
Best of luck in finding what you need!
Regards,
Jeff in Houston

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Bobby,

I'm assuming you already have a Sherbourn 5/1500(the original) and your trying to find another one to solve your problem. A member of this site named Randy G. has a friend that's a Sherbourn dealer. If you can't find the older model you could give him a buzz. I think his friend sells them for around $1300-$1400 new in the box. As far as I know the "A" model is identical to the non "A" model except for the bridging and the cosmetics. Also Sherbourn will sell you as many 200 watt mono-block amps as you need for additional channels. You can even have them put 2 or 3, 200 watt mono-block amps in the same case to save space. Sherbourn is great about doing things like this.

I hope this helps.

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
Well, I just sold a sherbourn 5/1500 old bridgeable version last month for 900.00 on audiongon. But before I sold it I actually was looking for another one as I was bridging it so I also wanted another 5/1500 old version. Long story short, I couldnt find one anywhere. I'm sure if you have the patience you will eventually find one on ebay. Legairre has a good idea about the monos as you can buy them in any configuration but these are also hard to find as I believe sherbourn is no longer offering this option.

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Oh, man their not offering the monos anymore? That was really a great advantage with upgrading. I think each mono amp was $400. For us guys who want a 7.1 setup you could power the two back channels for only $800. Every other company I know of want's around $1000 and up for a 2 channel amp with 200wpc. Why do all the good things have to go away.:frowning:

Bobby_N

Agent
DUDE....DUDE...holy CRAP! That onecall website has some KILLER PRICES on rear projection HDTV's...WOOOOOOOOO...I think I know where my TV will be coming from...YO...! As far as the amp, I have made a decision, I am going to SELL the original 5/1500 - I will give you guys on the HT forum FIRST SHOT at it, go to the area with the hardware sale items, and you will see my ad.

Want it? Come get it!

Users who are viewing this thread