1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

OK. Here I go. What would be a good system for my parents?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by CRyan, Oct 4, 2001.

1. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

Well, I know this comes up from time to time. Usually I am full of ideas to give someone. However, I am completely at a loss for this one. Just don't know what sounds good at the lower end of things. Simply have not been out auditioning in the last few years.
    My parents have a PERFECT room for home theater. Yet, they do not want to spend a lot of cash on something they will only use a few times a week.
    They need speakers for a 5.1 setup and a 5.1 receiver. DTS is not really necessary if it would make it cheaper.
    The room is pretty large 14' x 20', but they will only be using half of it for HT. They have a 35" tube so they will be sitting about 12' from the set.
    So what are some good inexpensive speakers that you all would suggest. They were decently impressed with the Sony towers that BB sells, if that gives you any helpful information.
    My parents are not going to be able to tell any sonic difference between receivers. I just don't want them to end up with crap.
    Also, a good place to purchase your suggestions online would be great.
    Thanks for any info,
    C. Ryan
    ------------------
    http://www.elitestoragedesigns.com/RyanOAR.bmp
    [Edited last by CRyan on October 04, 2001 at 10:52 PM]
    [Edited last by CRyan on October 04, 2001 at 10:57 PM]

2. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    how much $$ is cheap? do they want floor standing towers or bookshelf? do they need a DVD player?
    ------------------
    -Thomas
    Click here to visit my webpage.

3. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

4. Brent Cantrell

Brent Cantrell Stunt Coordinator

5. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

Home Theater Direct speakers may be a good bet, paired with an Onkyo 595 receiver. Take a look around at their website to find out more.
    I own the Level III set (two pairs of bookshelves and a center channel), and I'm very pleased with the quality of the speakers, considering what I paid for them.
    ------------------
    -J.Fo
    "Why do I always get a warped one?"

6. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

I am a little worried about a HTB simply because of the room size. I know that they can sound very good for the money but the small speakers that generally come with those may simply not work.
    Jeffrey, thank you for that link. I have never auditioned them personally, but if you say they sound good, I will trust that. Thank you very much, I will continue to look at them while I look around.
    That reciever may be a bit on the expensive side for them though. I guess I was thinking more of a Sony with DD only, but I don't even know what they run anymore. Will have to look around for current model numbers.
    Thanks,
    C. Ryan
    ------------------

7. Hank_P

Hank_P Second Unit

If they like shopping at the local BB.. have them check out the JBL N series (N28/N38 fronts & N24 surrounds). IMO they sound much better than the Sony's. ..and fit well within the price range I think. You could even find a good Yamaha receiver with DD/DTS there also. This would be very convenient for them to see and demo.
    The S series does sound much better, but to keep within the $$$ range... I believe this would fit well. Check out the reviews and give a listen. ..good luck

8. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

9. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    i'd go with:
    Speakers:
    Home Theater Direct (Level II if you can afford $479 for speakers or Level I for the $150 range)
    or
    JBL Northridge package ($299 from J&R for 5 speakers. couple with a Sony WMA40 [?did i get that model right?] sub. this is more in your price range than the Studio series)
    Receiver: Onkyo 595 ($359 from http://www.JandR.com
    ------------------
    -Thomas
    Click here to visit my webpage.

10. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

Speakers - Paradigm Phantom tower mains (or Titan bookshelf), and Titan (or Atom) rears. Good sound for a great price. My brother has the Titans, and they are truly amazing for the price.
    Receiver - Marantz SR-4200 got a good review. Has DTS and Dolby Pro-Logic II.
    Check out ecoustics.com in their review section for reviews on all of the above.
    [Edited last by ChrisAG on October 05, 2001 at 02:57 PM]

11. Anthony Lobo

Anthony Lobo Agent

Hi CRyan,
    I would first buy the best remote control your budget will allow for.
    You can spend all the money in the world on a receiver, speakers, and dvd player but if it isn't easy to use your parents will not use it.
    Anthony

12. Kendal Kirk

Kendal Kirk Stunt Coordinator

I have not tried these speakers, but based on a number of posts here, the may be the best bang for the buck. Do a search, I recall a number of people that were very impressed with these.
    http://www.fluance.com/fluanceavhtb.html
    If I was going for a package site-un-seen, this is the way I would go.

13. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

Thanks guys. A lot of info to look through. A remote will be a second thought unfortunately. I have the Pronto and love it, but we will have to see about that later. Depends on how the "universal" remote that comes with the receiver works I guess. My dad juggles four remotes right now and he has no problem with it.
    They have a DVD player I bought for them a few years ago. It is acceptable.
    Again, I am worried about the Home Theater in a Box systems. I know they sound good for the money, but worried about their effectivness in the large room.
    Thanks again,
    C. Ryan
    ------------------

14. Wil_J

Wil_J Stunt Coordinator

I'll second the JBL Northridge package that was mentioned. I have the N26's for my mains, N24's for my rears and the N-center, and they sound exellent for the amount I paid for them (IMO). Great bang for the buck in these speakers. Pair it with the Onkyo 595 and you got a decent system for a little money.
    Just my $.02.........Wil
    ------------------
    "The rose petal floats on water,
    the kingfisher flashes above the pond.
    Life and beauty swirl in the midst of death."

al'Lan Mandragoran,
    *******The Wheel of Time