Ok....help on deciding if an amp is right for me...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Robert_Barlow, Sep 11, 2003.

1. Robert_Barlow

I have a Dennon 3802 w/5 Paradigm Studio 20's v2 and a PSW1200 paradigm subwoofer. My room is 16 X 12 or so. In addition, I am considering upgrading to 6.1 sound soon(by buying another pair of studio 20 v2).

Would buying an amp significantly improve my performance? The two I am looking at are the Rotel 1066 and the Rotel 1055. The salesman said he thought the 1066 wouldnt make much of a difference, but that the 1055 would really make my system shine. Now, I do realzie that the 1055 is only 5.1 so I would have to run the 6th channel off the Dennon.

Anyways, bottom line is would make it a big enough difference to justify either the 699 or 999 price tag?

P.S. As a side note, my hope is get a much cleaner sound, not a "louder" one.

2. John Robert

John Robert Stunt Coordinator

Robert:

I just went thru the same thought process with my pio 45tx. I was happy with the processor but wanted more "clean" power. I upgraded front 3 channels (Cinenova Grande) and hear a huge difference in weight, definition and authority thru my Intermezzo 4.1ts. I think you will find the same...

3. Robert_Barlow

Hrmm, it looks like those are pretty expesnive amplifiers(accoridng to a quick search). Would a Rotel do for my Denon what the Cinenova Grande did for your Pioneer? Thanks for your feedback. it looks like I may be heading in the right direction scouting for an amp then.

Anyone else have any other ideas to compliment or disagree w/John?

Is no one answering because I left out a piece of information? Heheh, or just not that intersting of a question?

4. John Robert

John Robert Stunt Coordinator

Robert:

Im not sure price of Rotel units but I bought Cinenova amp new for $1099 shipped. I decided to put increased power up front, using 45tx for surrounds and eventually rears.

5. Greg Kolinski

Greg Kolinski Second Unit

I added a Rotel 1070 130w amp for the front channels of a HK 520,worked out really well.

6. Robert_Barlow

John :
    Cool, that is in the price range I am looking at then!

WHich model number did you purchase so I can take a look at it?

Greg:
    It's nice to hear the Rotel helps, b/c I have a local dealer who ususally cuts great deals on them!

So the best thing may be to buy an amp for only the front channels and let the reciever power the rears and side surrounds?

Thanks for the help guys!!