OK, help me decide: Pioneer VSXD811S - Kenwood VR6060 - Yamaha HTR5560

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jared Boehm, Aug 15, 2002.

1. Jared Boehm

Jared Boehm Auditioning

I'm able to aquire the Pioneer VSXD811S, Kenwood VR6060 and Yamaha HTR5560 all for about the same price... a little under $300... I'd like to hear which people would go with and why, keeping in mind that I'm upgrading from an ancient Sherwood Pro Logic receiver. I'll be mostly watching movies and want to be able to expand in the future.
    I'm also on the lookout for the Onkyo TXSR600, but don't know of anyone that can get an employee discount on Onkyo so as of right now it's out of my price range. Should I save up antother paycheck and go with the Onkyo? Or is the extra money better spent elsewhere?
    Thanks guys. I also accept any other suggestions, but please make them constructive and understand that I'm a full time college student only working a few hours a week - $300 is a lot. [​IMG]

2. MikeRP

MikeRP Supporting Actor

I'd save another paycheck up. The Onkyo I understand is good. I have the 595 and it is very good. It's brand new -I bought it on close out for $300.

I was so impressed with the improvement in sound that I have become a nut case reading all this internet information.

I had a Kenwood 100 watt prologic receiver. It sucked bad.
    Don't know about the new ones. Maybe someone else knows about the Pioneer and Yamaha. I wouldn't buy them unless they have a high current receiver.

I have this brand new 595 sitting here. I'm taking it back to BOSE this week cause I convinced myself I need 7.1 and purchased an HK520. If you want a great receiver for 300 - I'll ship it to you - probably be about $330.

Mike

3. Chris Brown

Chris Brown Stunt Coordinator

-
    I have the Pioneer VSX-D811S and it is great. Able to power my giant old JBL's and doesn't choke on the bass.
    In tests, the pioneer has been able to deliver about 74watts per channel with all channels driven while the comparable Onyko could only deliver in the 30's and the yamaha 27wpc!.
    Another thing to think about is that the 811 is basically the same receiver as the Pioneer Elite VSX-41, with the only differences being additional quality control, and Re-EQ enabled. that receiver MSRP's for $800.
    The pioneer also has pre-outs for all channels. so you can add an amp in the future if you believe you need mor power. And from what i've seen, this unit, with DD-EX and DTS-ES Discrete + Neo:6, offers more features than most other receivers in it's price range.
    The only bad things about the unit are the subwoofer crossover doesn't go below 100Hz, and it doesn't handle speakers below 8ohms very well. But overall I don't think you can go wrong with the pioneer.

4. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I agree w/ the recomendation for the Pioneer 811S, as i also recomended it in one of your previous posts. I've heard bad things about Kenwood, and even the THX Select Certified 6070 doesn't really match the 811S in my opinion. If you were going higher end, i might reccomend an Onkyo, Dennon, or Yamaha, but when high end companies try to make entry level equipment, it sometimes comes out bad... they try to cut the wrong corners.

I have the pioneer 811S and love it. I upgraded from the 810S because i wanted DPLII, 7.1 ability, and a friend was willing to give me $300 for my 810S and an old KLH 5.1 speaker package. I'm now powering Sony SS-MB300H mains, SS-CN490, and 4 SS-MB100Hs in a 7.1 setup. Neither the yamaha or the kenwood you mention have provisions for dual back surrounds in a 7.1 setup.

5. Jared Boehm

Jared Boehm Auditioning

So I futzed around with the three of these receivers today and unfortunately can only comment on the interfaces of them... I was at Best Buy and they just had them hooked to crappy stero speakers... I have to say the Pioneer was my least favorite to work with... it wasn't intuitive at all... perhaps a manual would help, but I couldn't help feeling that the remote simply sucks a big one. It seemed that it was designed to control everything but the receiver itself...
    The guys at Best Buy... who seemed to know what they were talking about... ranted and raved about Yamaha for one reason or another as did the guy at Video Only... do they just not know what they're talking about or are they trying to push the Yamaha receivers for some reason... I actually had the guy look up the employee prices on the Yamaha HTR-5560 ($300) and the Kenwood VR6060 ($284)... both retailed for $499 so you'd think they'd be pushing the Kenwood... I dunno... I think I'm rambling at the moment... I just need someone to hold my hand and tell me which to get. [​IMG]

6. Leonard B

Leonard B Stunt Coordinator

I have had the Kenwood 6060 for a couple of months and I really like it. I have it hooked up to high sensitity speakers(90db) and it plays louder than I could possibly listen to without distorting. The remote is very good. It is easy to program and the lcd screen on it tells you what component you have selected ie.dvd. Hope this helps.

7. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Jared, what kind of speakers do you have? My suspicion is that power wise you'll probably be fine with any three of the receivers listed. I own the Pioneer 811S and pretty much agree with all the earlier comments about it. It has no OSD but I actually find that to be a plus since I don't want to be messing with the tv display when I want to tweak something in the menu (such as switching from 6.1 to 5.1 processing). I've found the LED display menu to be simple and easy to use and had mine set up in 5-10 minutes. Like any receiver, it has its quirks and there are a few features I'd like my next receiver to have [​IMG]
    I'd recommend making a list of features you think you want and then what I'd do is download the manuals for all 3 and read them over a few times. See which one is the better match for your requirements. After that, you may want to pick that one up and give it a test drive during the 30 day return window.
    cheers,
    --tom

8. AllanN

AllanN Supporting Actor

I have the 811 and I love it. The only thing I would like is one more back S-Video input. But that is just me. I have it hooked up to 2 JBL N38 Mains, a N-Center, and 4xN24's for surround and back surround. (I got all 7 speakers brand new from a factory dealer for $330) [​IMG] [​IMG]. No sub yet because im living with the "rents" for a year post-graudation so that I can actually start out in the world with some cash instead of being grossly broke and in debt. If I buy/rent a house ill get a SVS PCi 20-39. If not ill probably get a Sony SW-MA40 just to take some of the load off my mains.

9. Kevin Parker

Kevin Parker Stunt Coordinator

The choices you gave me I would go for pioneer 811, I already bought that receiver over yamaha htr 5560, denon 1802 and onkyo sr600, and I auditioned all of them. I am using 811 for more than a month now and pretty happy with it, if budget is your main concern than this receiver is the BEST for the price.

10. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Personally, on the low end like you're looking at, I am a big fan of Pioneer. I've had very good experience with Pioneer gear at least as far as sound quality in this range. My backup/bedroom receiver is an old Pioneer 606 (built in demodulator for LaserDiscs - whoopie!!!). My Sherwood Newcastle amplifier is on the fritz and I've been using the Pioneer in my main room for a few weeks. The results have made me smile. It handled even the extremely intense Lord Of The Rings disc without a single hiccup. My B&W 602s like it.

So I'd recommend Pioneer based on my experience if sound quality is paramount. I've never liked the sound of Yamaha receivers. Too bright and "sterile" for my tastes.