OK, have a decent sub, what about new small main speakers

Scott Cunningham

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott Cunningham
I picked up a nice HSU VTF-2 and am now looking to replace my old (large) front and center speakers. The sub is almost too powerful, and canm handle any bass I throw at it, so I'm ready to downsize on my main speakers to free up floorspace.

I will be using the system for music and movies, and would like some smaller bookshelf style speakers. Have thought about wall mounted speakers, but have never heard any that really sounded all that great. While I want the sound quality as good as possible, I'm not an audio nazi who is going to be metering sound performance.

Would also like to replace my crappy center channel speaker.

Eventually will get around to the rear effects speakers, but they can wait for now.

Had considered the Boston Accoustics Bravo series, but am open to all suggestions.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
A budget is usually the first place to start. Room size? If you want your system to sound very nice, adjusting the level of each speaker is worth your time (if receiver upgrade is in the near future, you'll most likely benefit from one that has auto-setup w/mic).

Scott Cunningham

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott Cunningham
Room is a half octagon, about 20' wide and 15' deep. The music sound from the current speakers is passable. The movie sound from them is weak. The sub to0tally overpowers them (and I have the sub set to its lowest level).

Would like to spend no more than $200 per speaker. A decent 4 speaker set would probably be fine.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That is a decent size room. I'd say check out www.av123.com and probably say pick up either 4 or 5 X-CSs or 2/3 for the front and 2 X-LSs for surrounds for a 4.1 or 5.1 setup. Easy to drive and should be able to fill that room adequately.

Next might be the www.ascendacoustics.com CBM-170 SEs; 4 or 5 of them and they will be right around your price.

HSU showed some bookshelf speakers at CEDIA I believe called the HB-1s, but I don't know when they will be released. They were said to be priced around $250/pr.

dickTH

Grip
I've got a large room (15wx43L-though the listening area is only 15W x 23L of that) and I am using Axiom M22's for fronts and a VP150 center. I am thrilled with them. I have an SVS PB12-plus/2 sub and the fronts do well to support it, obviously with that sub i can definitely overpower the mains if I wanted to. And depending on the movie I do crank the bass for effect or to show off.
But i would reccomend the Axiom's any day of the week.
If I were to go back to floorstanding mains, I think I would try the Axiom M80's, but the wife likes smaller speaker's....compromises, compromises

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
The new HSU speakers ARE up at the HSU site. They sell them individually ($125/ea), so you could get 3 for the front soundstage.

Luis Gabriel Gerena

Second Unit
This will be my recommendation www.htd.com/
I am currently using 2 of the Level 3 centers as Mains and will soon get another one for center. You can also get the regular bookshelf instead. I was blown away by the quality of these speakers and the high quality sound they produced for both Music and HT. They can go pretty low as well and well...better read my comparison review vs Onix x-ls and Rocket 250(first edition) and judge by yourself.
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...93&postcount=5

Regards

PS they offer money back guarantee inlcuding paying for the shipping cost back to them so its a totally risk free deal.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

I know. I noticed it and I was going to post back here about it, but I figured people interested would find out on their own or we would start seeing some threads about them.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gullfo