OK guys, I need your help. Rotel+ new speakers or just AVM-20?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Legairre, Feb 25, 2002.

1. Legairre

Legairre Supporting Actor

I emailed Evan and got some great advice from him. Now I figure I'll get some more from you guys.
    I have a REAL problem here. I really want the Anthem AVM-20. Because I love to demo stuff I emailed my dealer and asked if they had the Rotel RSP-1066 in yet. I also asked for a price on some Paradigm Studio 60s(I NEED NEW SPEAKER). My current speakers are JBL HLS series. They were fine for a few years, but now I really want better speakers. The dealers is saying that he could put me in the RSP-1066 and Studio 60s for a really great price as a combo. I won't quote the price, because with 24K members he might read this forum. Let's just say I could be in the RSP-1066 and Studio 60s(he could do even better for B&W 604 S3s) for about the same price as the Anthem. Before any of you say "hey, that's no bargain" you have to know that I'm part of Evan's AVM-20 group buy and we have a great price on the AVM-20. THANKS EVAN.
    My dilema is this[​IMG] . If the Rotel is a great sounding unit. Which do you guys think will give the biggest sonic benefit. The AVM-20 with my current JBL speakers(I can't do both the Anthem and new speakers due to my budget) or the Rotel with the Paradigm 60s? Of course if the Rotel sounds like crap this is a easy decision. I'm going to demo the combo on Saturday.
    Thanks
    Legairre

2. george king

george king Supporting Actor

Legairre,
    You are a lucky man to have such a dilemma. One question, how long do you plan on keeping the speakers? If the speakers are a long term investment, here is my opinion. Listen to the Rotel, and if it sounds even 80% as good as the Anthem, then get the Rotel/Paradigms. You could then sell the Rotel in a year or so, and then get the Anthem or some other preamp.
    Just my 2 cents, and let us know how the Rotel sounds. My dealer doesn't have one yet.[​IMG]

3. Legairre

George,

The speakers are definately long term. The only problem would be in a year or so I would miss out on the great price for the AVM-20.

4. george king

True. I really wish I had your dilemma. However, and I really hate to point this out, you would then be missing the speakers.

Unfortunatly this is a sort of damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

On the other hand, if you like your current speakers, go ahead and get the Anthem.

Either way, you will be a happy man (assuming the Rotel sounds good).

Let us know what you decide.

5. John Tompkins

John Tompkins Supporting Actor

Legairre, My opinion is to get the speakers first. They will most assuredly give you the most sonic improvement. Speakers can be permanent while pre-pros come and go. I would make sure to get the best speakers that you can and never look back.

The best decision I have ever made was to get THE speakers I wanted, price be dammed {to a degree of course} and to live with my other gear knowing it would eventually leave my house anyways..good luck

6. Legairre

Damn George, Evan said the same thing just in different words. I guess I'm looking for someone to talk me out of the Rotel/Paradigm deal. I know it's the way to go, but I'd hate to miss out on the AVM-20. If I never heard the AVM-20 this would be easy. Maybe it will be an easier decision after I hear the Rotel and Paradigm. As decisions go. This is a good one to have to make.

Ok John. Another vote for the combo. I know where this is going. Darn, Darn, Darn Darn.

7. george king

Well, you know the old saying great minds think alike, and yours and Evans are great minds.
    You may get lucky, and the Rotel may sound like doo doo (given Rotel's history, I would tend to doubt it), and the decision will be easy.
    However, if you get the Rotel/Paradigm combo, I am willing to bet the sound will be very close (if not better) than the Anthem/JBL combo. But the Anthem does sound like a really sweet unit.
    On the upside, you can sell the Rotel in a year, get some more cash, and still have the Anthem/Paradigm combo. But you will just have to wait awhile with this route (I know waiting sucks).[​IMG]

8. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Legairre, read my signature line[​IMG] (just kidding).
    I think I might be able to swing a great price on the Anthem in a year when you want to get in. I have a great relationship with my dealer and can probably come close to the price we've gotten now...but in 12 months a lot can change in the pre/pro world and the Anthem may not be the be all end all of pre/pros and you might want to go in an entirely different direction.
    But, the Paradigms will still sing just as sweet in 12 months time.[​IMG]

9. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

IMO, it's a much better move to get the Rotel and Paradigms than just the Anthem. There is no way the Anthem + JBL HLS is going to sound better than the Rotel + Paradigm Studio 60s !!!

Plus, in a year or two, the Anthem will be outdated anyway, and you'll be glad you don't have that much invested in your pre/pro.