OK Guys...2 scenarios...choose 1

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob_A, Oct 31, 2001.

1. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Let's say someone named Bob has a budget B = ($x + $x + $y + $y).
    $y is the cost of one quality external sub.
    Here are the two proposed scenarios:
    1) ($x + $x) on 2 main speakers
    ($y + $y) on 2 external subs
    OR
    2) ($x + $x + $y) on 2 main speakers
    ($y) on 1 external sub
    Now...keep in mind that scenario 2 will have y extra dollars spent on the main speakers...this will give you a set of mains which will cost somewhere between $500-$3000 MORE than the mains in scenario 1.
    Ok...if you were to recommend a system for the long run which would be used with music and movies...what would you recommend?
    I would almost certainly put the extra $500-$3000 in a "better" set of mains...the extra money spent on the mains most often means more money spent on drivers, crossover, cabinet materials, and other design elements.
    This begs the question: "compromise" on the quality of your main speakers to get more headroom down low?
    Definitely NO in my opinion...because I value the OVERALL music/HT experience...not simply bass down low.
    [Edited last by Bob_A on October 31, 2001 at 04:25 PM]

2. Steve_Ma

Steve_Ma Second Unit

Let it rest. Why can't you guys accept a difference of opinion and let it go at that?
    Either that or get a tape measure and settle this once and for all. The post that started all this has got more than enough to digest without another platform for you and Tom the kick the stuffing out of each other yet again. Don't get me wrong, I love learning from a good debate, but hasn't this gone on ad-nausem at this point?
    besides, my alegbra is alittle rusty and I'm breaking into sweats just looking at the post.
    --S
    [Edited last by Steve_Ma on October 31, 2001 at 06:37 PM]

3. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Steve, I am looking for some opinions here...I stated my opinion, now I am waiting for others to state their opinion... [​IMG]
    If you do not want to deal with the simple addition, then answer:
    *****"compromise" on the quality of your main speakers to get more headroom down low?*****
    [Edited last by Bob_A on October 31, 2001 at 04:46 PM]

4. Ted Robinson

Ted Robinson Extra

If I could remember what all the x's and y's are for I would be an engineer by now.
    ------------------
    Ted Robinson

5. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

C'mon guys...this is simple addition!!! I am using "x" and "y" because we do not have any specific speakers and subs to compare.
    Why you guys consider this to be seemingly some kind of "joke" is beyond me...it is a relevant issue IMHO.

6. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Bob,
    Although I can see the others point in why can't you drop it(ie the multiple threads on this subject) I will tell you that I much prefer the method that allows me to use better mains. Being that I have the benefit of a flexible crossover(not fixed like most folks), I can get the mains' crossover set at a more optimal frequency than most folks.
    For instance, If I buy a set of Paradigm Studio 100's which are rated down into at 39. So going on this I would set up my crossover at 1 octave higher or in my case 60. So all bass would be sent to the sub at 60.
    Since I have this I can put less stress on my subwoofer to play the frequency range of 60+ while also getting better sound from my mains since they wouldn't be set to 80 small like most.
    Give me better mains and a lesser woofage and I'll take that over lesser mains and better woofage. Now if I was just a HT type of guy this might make a little more difference but to be honest soundtracks are getting so demanding now that I wouldn't do w/o towers(non powered) for mains.
    Please note I've tried to set my mains which are good down to the upper 20's to large and the sound isn't even close to what it is now with the mains set to small and the crossover set to 40.
    Hope you understand my point as I'm peculiar since I have flexible bass management. I wouldn't live w/o it.
    Also keep in mind that my reciever has individual settings per channel in 10hz increments for the crossover as compared to the Outlaw and Denon way of 1 point for all channels albeit "flexible".

7. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    What's the total budget? My best bets would be Paradigm Monitor 7's and Dual SVS 20-39cs w/s700 amp for subs. Both offer the best quality at the best price. A great compromise!!! If you have the extra dough and don't really care, look into the paradigm studio line as well.

8. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

I'll give it a go.
    It depends on room size and overall budget. If the sub that you can get for $y can produce ref. level at low frequencies(let us say 20 Hz) in your particular room, then there is no need to spend more money on a subwoofer. The subs that can do that in a typical 3000-5000 cu. ft. room are very, very,(very) rare.
    My personal disposition is that I would rather buy things only once so I would wait until I could spend 2 X $x and 2 x $y on mains(and ceneter and surr) and 2 x $z on subs that I really liked rather than compromising and having to upgrade later. If that happens to include tower mains or high quality, dynamic bookshelfs(such as PMC or M&K among others) so be it. I probably would not spend the extra money to buy powered towers if I had in mind a capable subwoofer and non-powered mains that I liked.
    Is that what you are getting at Bob_A?

9. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Bhaghi what I am getting at is...when buying a setup used for music and home theater, would you put an extra $500-3000 into your main speakers or would you put this extra money into a second subwoofer? It does not matter what kind of speakers...bookshelf, tower, etc.

10. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

11. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Bob- I'd go for the better mains.
    I use my "home theater" 90% for 2 channel stereo listening. An extra sub isn't going to help you much there. (And I do cross over my mains to my sub even for 2 channel listening. Just that the music that I listen to, "std" rock, doesn't have a lot of content below 40 Hz.)
    Also, in my opinion [​IMG] if you get the "right" single sub, you only need one of them anyway. Of course depending on room size, etc. But again, this would be more for movies than music.
    I sort of think of it like 1 sub gets you to the 90% performance level, but the 2nd would only get you 10% more, but then you'd be at 100%. How I think about it anyway.
    ------------------

12. Trey Jones

Trey Jones Stunt Coordinator

I would put my money in the mains, however, I am with Jeff above.
    I still don't get what you want. If you want us to argue over someone's mild difference of opinion that is futile. Also in this type of decision, there is no "be all end all" answer. Leave it at that.

13. Geno

Geno Supporting Actor

Ok Bob here goes...
    In my opinion, the obvious choice is the mains. Y? Efficient use of your $$. Think about the percentage of Hz that a sub puts out compared to the mains.
    If you spent the same amount on subs as you do on your mains the $$ is mostly, spent on low HZ. Accurate reproduction of sound is not based on bass. You dont walk around all day always feeling the ground move beneath you all the time, or do you.....
    But its all up to the one with the $$ and the ones who will be watching movies in the HT.
    a few questions...
    Will the subs have separate channels coming from the processor? or just have 2 on one channel?
    You havent mentioned surrounds yet either so either you have good enough surrounds or you consider them a part of mains, [in which the above theory becomes more reasonable] or you wont get surrounds [which with the money you are talking about, seems silly]. Which is it?
    Also, are you willing to spend more money? or would you like to save money?
    Basically I think too much bass would be like going to a drive-in and plugging the wires into a competition lowrider.
    But its all up to the one wh o spends the $$ and the ones who will be watching movies in the HT.

14. Steve_Ma

Steve_Ma Second Unit

Bob,
    You said:
    "Steve, I am looking for some opinions here...I stated my opinion, now I am waiting for others to state their opinion..."
    Quite frankly, I'm not inclined to give my opinion in this matter. There is more than enough evidence to suggest that if it differs from yours, I might end up getting sucked into a flame war that is cleverly disguised as a debate.
    I'm the world's foremost authority on me. I'd buy right into that, and end up frustrated since don't have the same knowledge base that you and some others appear to have.
    I just want to learn from you guys. I don't want to have to decipher what is a point of debate and what is a opportunity to continue an argument.
    (sniff sniff...group hug anyone? Some cheeze with my whine?)
    Then again, it is an internet BB, not the dinner table.....Let me think about it and try to re-read the last few pages of the other thread. I'll get back to you.
    --Steve
    [Edited last by Steve_Ma on October 31, 2001 at 07:23 PM]

15. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

I've followed your threads for a while now and I see both sides of the argument.
    Call me old-school, but I still like to have big F#[email protected]!ing mains for my 2 channel music listening. I've read all of the arguments on setting large vs. small, etc. and I still set my mains to large. I'm powering them with a Denon 5800 and until my upgrade allows me to set a different X/O point on the small setting, I will continue to set them to large (I think it sounds better that way [​IMG])
    Regardless, most involved with the documentation and research on this subject know a hell of a lot more than I do about the subject...but it's all in the ear of the beholder. If it a speaker/setting/sub sounds better to you, that's the one you should run with.
    BTW, my mains are Nautilus 802s...my sub is a 20-39PC. They sound very good together with the mains set to large.
    Jeremy

16. Vietor

Vietor Stunt Coordinator

Alright, I'll bite,
    Now keep in mind I have a very modest ($1300) setup, but I think my words are valid.
    I think it is ENTIRELY based on your budget.
    It is not a simple question with a simple answer.
    If it comes down to 2 speakers which are pretty good for >80Hz, and a nice sub, as opposed to 2 speakers that are equaly good >80Hz and have OK

17. JohanK

JohanK Second Unit

Personally, I would take the extra 'y' and put it toward the video display.
    Under the constraints given, my personal preference would be answer 2) since I value main speaker aesthetics rather highly. But my answer could change tomorrow...
    ------------------
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/equipment/28687.html

18. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

I choose neither. The war must end.

19. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

20. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Jeremy,
    The problem with the possible upgrade is that if Denon goes with their previous form of "flexible crossover" then its a global across the board setting unlike the way my Sony 444es has it set which is the ability to select it per channel in 10 hz increments from 40-120.
    I guess this is no big deal since you would keep it at large anyway but if you had the chance to adjust it per channel you'd appreciate it more than you might.