What's new

Ok got it home...now what? (1 Viewer)

Mike Bollman

Auditioning
Well I finally did it last night and got it today. I ended up going with the Sony 57WV600 for 2199 from Fry's and the Sony progressive scan DVD player (715p) also. So now that everything is here and hooked up what should I do as far as settings go? Should I leave it alone for a break-in period or start tweaking? What about avia?

Thanks everyone,

Mike B.

John-Miles

Screenwriter
for the love of all that is good and holy in the world please turn it off torch mode and drop the contrast and brightness. if you have Avia or video essientials they will help you do it, if not drop it down to a level where you think its too dark until you can get a hold of one of those discs.

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
holy moly 57wv600 for only $2200?
Argh and I thought I was getting a good deal with the 57WS500 for $2190 and Toshiba 57HDX82 for $2180!:emoji_thumbsup:

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
As John said, you must immediately reaudjust the factory picture settings to prevent damage to the CRTs. Watch the thing in "Movie" mode and at the "Warm" (D6,500 standard) color-temp setting. And reduce the White ("contrast") and Black ("brightness") level settings dramatically. Reduce the so-called "sharpness" control close to zero. If SVM can be disabled from the user-control menus, then do so (but I don't believe SVM is user-control defeatable).

All consumer sets benefit tremendously from an immediate user-control calibration via Video Essentials and/or AVIA.

ISF calibrators, however, prefer that an RPTV be used for a few hundred hours before they are called upon to work their well-worth-it magic.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Jack,

Do your comments go for all RPTV? I just got a new Panasonic 47" and haven't yet calibrated it.

Kevin

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Since Jack hsn't come back, it goes for not only all RPTV, but ALL TVs in general, though plain-jane tube TVs don't tend to suffer burn-in

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Jeff earns his free round! :)
(He is correct. All display devices require calibration. Some are close to accurate vis. grayscale tracking—the $6,000 direct-view Loewe Aconda, for example—but all require professional-level tweaking. Your Panny, for example, probably runs at too high a color temp in even its lowest setting. Such an excellent set deserves a professional-level calibration. I certainly would have one done.)

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
If you have multiple point user convergence, you should definitely perform it. The alignment of red, blue, and green is essential to getting a crisp picture, and it will prevent blue and red halos around white areas.

Mike Bollman

Auditioning
thanks for the tips everyone. On the price frys was having a big sale the weekend before and had jacked the price back up. I went in and asked to speak to the manager for the a/v department and explained that I had been in there the weekend before and wanted the sales price. He asked if I was buying anything else and I said yes, dvd player and extended warranty. He said ok...2199 it is. I got the dvd player for 199 and the warranty was 249.95 for 36 months. Plus he threw in free delivery so how could I pass it all up.

Thanks again for all the help,

Mike B.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks