What's new

OK going to take the Satellite HDTV pulng...what shuould I consider? (1 Viewer)

Grady Hollums

Second Unit
Real Name
D.G. Hollums
I have my Toshiba 50HX81 HDTV, and I love my DVDs but it is time that I actually buy a satellite dish and a receiver for my TV so that I can actually see what my TV is capable of.

I honestly have no idea where to start doing my research and I would love any suggestions as to what and where I should buy.

I am primarily going to be watching HD programing especially the major networks, but I might just have to keep it on the DiscoveryHD channel, because that is just amazing when I see it @ Sears, and I KNOW that that TV is not calibrated at all! I can't wait, but I will be probably buying in the first or middle of next year.

OK, let the web links and suggestions role! And Thank you all in advance for your help and assistance!

Also, price is a concern, so as always the best bang for the buck. Thanks!

Mike I

Supporting Actor
Currently Discovery HD is only available on Dish network and a few cable companies..Direct tv does not offer it..Dish network also offers HBO and Showtime HD as well as one pay per view HD movie channel..Direct TV also offers HBO and Showtime HD as well as HD net...
Network HD you have to receive over the air which both the dish network and direct tv HD satellite boxes are capable of picking up..The only exception is some people depending on the area may qualify for the CBS HD feed on Dish network only..
Many Cable companies are beginning to offer HD as well and usually carry the locals HD channels if available in your area..
Try going to www.titantv.com
For a listing of local channels in your area broadcasting in HD...You have to register(it is free) and put in your address to get the listing for your area
Here is also another link for current channels broadcasting digital.
http://www.nab.org/newsroom/issues/d...tvstations.asp

Grady Hollums

Second Unit
Real Name
D.G. Hollums
OK, was the merger of Dish and Direct shot down?

Was it even Dish and Direct doing the Merger, what is Echo Star?

So it really comes down to if I want HD Net or if I want Discovery HD, as to which one I would want. I would rarely ever do pay-per-view, and I really want the best HD programing, but I really am interested in watching CBS and NBC in HD.

Will I have to just do that over the air signals when it comes to the shows of King of Queens, Friends, Everybody Loves Raymond, etc?

Or is it just my local channels that I will have to get over the air? (i.e. local news) I really could care less about my local news, because I can get that off the Internet and newspaper. So is there any way to watch the major networks (NBC, CBS, ABC) in HD over the Satellite?

Also, is there anyway to get my DSL service though the same satellite? I also heard that the DSL service is fast for Down load, but for up load it is extremely slow. Have they fixed this problem yet?

Thanks for helping the newbie!

Grady Hollums

Second Unit
Real Name
D.G. Hollums
Also:

Anyone have any suggestions for satellite dishes and receivers? Can you buy them both at the same time? How much money am I talking about here?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks