What's new

ok explain to me the ending of planet of the apes? (1 Viewer)

Jason St Louis

Stunt Coordinator
Lets face it everyone here has more chance of winning a 100 million lottery than giving this movies ending a credible ending let alone make heads or tails of it? :frowning:
I have trouble enough when i watch a movie with a ending i don't like, but one that doesn't even try to be a cliffhanger ending for a sequel, with no clues as to what could have led to to that finish:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
To quote Jar Jar Binks?
Thisa ending bom bad!!! :angry:

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
The following just represents to me how stupid the ending of Planet of the Apes was. This is a quote from Helena Bonham Carter in interview in Total Film magazine when asked about the ending

"I don't understand why everyone went "Huh"? I thought it made sense. Kind of. It's all a time warp thing isn't it ? He's gone back and he realises Thade's beat him there."

Then when asked how did Thade get out of the ship - "You start bringing logic to an ape film, it's always dodgy"

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I don't know about any of you, but I find Tim Burton's reluctance to explain the ending very frustrating! I tried listening to the commentary track, and he talks like he's on something, tripping over his words, and not completing sentences. This what I think, he won't explain the ending because he doesn't know what the f**k happened himself!
He just threw something completly off the wall out their and said "Here, make sense of this smarty pants!"
All I know is they had BETTER make a sequel! I want some answers dammit!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
We all know that the apes were ancestors from the ship's apes, and the humans most likely were ancestors from the ship's human crew (although it sounded to me like the ship's apes killed them all, but I digress), but where did the horses that the apes were riding come from?
And along those same lines, where did Estella Warren get lipstick and eyeliner from? Humans wear rags for clothes, but she has makeup? :laugh:

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor
We all know that the apes were ancestors from the ship's apes, and the humans most likely were ancestors from the ship's human crew (although it sounded to me like the ship's apes killed them all, but I digress), but where did the horses that the apes were riding come from?
The super apes accelerated the evolution of rats somehow. :laugh:

John_Panz

Auditioning
It is clear that you guys didn't listen to Burton's commentary at the end of the film. Burton basically says, he liked the "reversal" and that's why he did it. There isn't any correct answer, only possibilities of how things got to where they are.

I'm sure any David Lynch fans here should be able to relate!!

Jason St Louis

Stunt Coordinator
I have to agree with everyone here!!! the ending is just no good even The "Comic book adaptation" leaves out the bizzare ending?
Now why is this? from what i know of comic book adaptations they are done more or less from the script! and maybe alot of designs and picture references used to create the movie! It offically the first comic of a movie that avoids the ending, not just because it may have come out before the film? but it just plain as day does not have the ending.
So there i hope i put the nail in this turkey! and finshed it for good! people who have seen and listened to the DVD commentary have said Burton avoids giving a explanation or reason for his directing efforts on this movies final scenes? We have all tried to make an ending on this board? and the comic book doesn't even bother to have it also??? :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
So there you have it:frowning: :thumbsdown:

John_Panz

Auditioning
Well, I think Burton says exactly what he had in mind with the ending. The problem here is most people WANT all the pieces to line up and for there to be one right way to get to that ending.

Filmmakers often don't give us nice tidy little endings accounting for all of the pieces. I thought the ending was good because there were any number of ways you could make it come out that way. Heck, in a way it has worked and stimulated one hell of a lot more discussion than a nice tidy little ending would have stimulated.

Anyone watch David Lynch films? Anyone wanna explain Mulholland Drive? Sometimes, Lynch just does things because he feels they fit. Same thing Burton did.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The main problem with this film is that since the ending really isn't the shocker Burton wanted, it just ended up being criticized a lot. The fact that it didn't make sense made the movie suck even more than it did for me.

K-PAX didn't make sense either, but you are supposed to get something out of it. Had PotA been and artistic film, film noir, or an inspirational film (like K-PAX) then I would be more forgiving, but a cheesy sci-fi action movie should make more sense. At least it could justify the $6.50 at the theater.

Craig W

Second Unit
with respect to the ending...

SUCKERS

I might have cared if the movie was halfway decect, but in the long run I think I will refer to it as Planet of the Apes: Suck Ass Edition.

Did you know that Peter Jackson of LOTR was at one time looked at to direct this in addition to King Kong? Maybe PJ has a monkey fetish.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks