Ok......Couple more questions :-)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Harold P, Nov 25, 2002.

1. Harold P

Harold P Extra

First AV store:

RBH MM4 - $275.00 pair
    Mounts - $45.00
    Sherwood Newcastle 330A - 880.00
    Omage 8" Boomer Sub - $300.00
    RBH MC 414 C - $750.00 (3 x $250.00)
    Installation - $250.00 (I live in a bi-level - and this I think is the only low price of the entire quote)

Total: $2500.00

Second AV store:

RBH: 4-MM4, 1 MSP, 1 C4 = $900.00
    Sony STRDA4ES = $695.00
    or
    Sony STRDA1ES = $359.00
    Installation - on my own, but feels it would be expensive.

Any comments or suggestions or substitutions on the above. I am really open, but do not want to go over $2500.00 including install. What about the Sony STRDA5ES? I am not a big DVD person..........in fact, have never played any, but would be open to purchasing one......any suggestions.

I will be using this system for normal TV viewing off of cable, satellite (UTV) and vcr.

Any help...........this really gets confusing after reading and looking, etc.

Again, thanks to all that help me.

Harold

2. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Harold,
    Why are you getting a surround system if you don't watch DVDs? IMO the small amount of 5.1 material on cable/DSS does not make a 5+ ch system worthwhile. Consider getting a nice 2ch system for music and TV.

Personally, I think you'd be best served by finding a knowledgeable HTF member (you are in NJ, right?) and treat them to dinner in exchange for helping you out with the install. For a high end system a pro installer would be warranted but (IMO) not in this case.

Frankly, I think you can do better with $2k-2.5k. Have you looked at the internet direct companies yet? Home Theater Direct, Ascend Acoustics, nOrh, Axiom, Onix Rockets, & others sell great speaker packages. Hsu, SVS, ACI & others sell good bang/buck subwoofers. (IMO an 8" subwoofer is more of a midbass unit)

Sony ES is a good brand of receiver. Also check out Pioneer, Onkyo, & Denon's offerings.

3. Harold P

Harold P Extra

Greg,

When are you flying in to NJ for that dinner? ;-)

I don't watch DVD's now, but in the future you never know. I do want a system that when I upgrade the TV, will still be a good system.

Do you think the RBH's are good speakers for the bucks, or perhaps you have a better suggestion?

As far as the Sony..........I am not locked into anything at this time and would go Denon for the right price and setup.

Any further suggestions?

Also, any HT members in northern NJ want dinner and a few bucks? :)

Also, my wife just spoke to me and yes, we will need a DVD player.........which one you ask????.........again, I will take some suggestions, since it will be my first one.

Thanks.

Harold

4. Darren Mortensen

Darren Mortensen Stunt Coordinator

Harold,

I have to agree with Greg in respect to your overall HT surround sound application. If you plan on expanding with current technology in the near future, I agree with putting out $2500 in audio equipment. However, if you are satisfied with VHS tapes and a non digital-input big screen (as you described before with a 1992(?) 60" BigScreen...then there is no need to go "over the top" with a sound system.

But lets look here a moment. The bigscreen is nearly 11-12 years old...probably not much life left in it. That means in the not too distant future you will be shopping for a TV. Now, within the next five years ALL broadcasts will be in High Definition...not to say that a regular analog TV (such as yours)will not work, for broadcast signals will be in BOTH High Definition and analog until the approximatily 80% of American consumers own High Definition capable televisions.

What I am getting at, is that very soon we will all be upgrading to HiDef tv's with HiDef video AND audio. This is when you will want that "over the top" sound system. Even today, just about anyone that has a VCR can afford a DVD player. Since they are as low as $79.00 these days. The picture displayed from a DVD unit cannot be compared to a basic VCR in anyway!

So Harold, if you feel that you and your wife will be "jumping on the digital bandwagon" so to speak...get a decent system. Now, the prices you suggested can easily be beat by doing some internet shopping and AV store haggling. For $2500.00 you should be able to get a VERY decent system for 6.1 HT audio, including a good subwoofer, receiver and, yep, even a DVD player.

Now when I say decent, that means name brand equipment...but not top of the line. I am a very conservative shopper, as I have installed quite a few HT systems for friends and neighbors on tight budgets. Usually they say, I have $xxx to spend and they describe what sort of sound they want and application it will be used for. Then I hit the catalogs, internet and AV shoppes and compile what I consider a good, decent system within their budget.

I am not a professional installer, and make no claims to be. But I have done 100% of the install, design and build of my $25,000 + HT. I do not push "top of the line" series equipment..because the average person doesn't want nor need this. HT is not their life, simply something to entertain them for an hour or two on a weekend or rainy night.

With your suggestions and application I would shop for very good quality speakers that will "grow" with you and endure the digital age. Receivers with 100 watts of power in 6.1 DTS audio can be had for under $500 these days, and a good progressive-scan DVD player for under a $200.

As you can see I love doing this sorta stuff. The last two installs I have done, both family's were "blown away" with their finished set-ups. They all had been looking at HTiB's. I convinced them otherwise, I had them give me a "magic number in $$$" then choose the system and cables, and provided the installation at an additional charge.

Perhaps, you will be lucky an find a HTF member in your area that will do the same for you!

5. Harold P

Harold P Extra

Darren,

Another invite to NJ ;-)

But, back to my quandry........do you think Sony STR-DA4ES and RBH Compact Theater Speakers 5.1 will be enough to hold me and also, good enough for the upgrade to HD?

How about a suggestion for the DVD player?

Thanks to both.........reading this forum is a blast.

Harold

6. Darren Mortensen

Harold,
    Now you want specifics, do you?!?[​IMG]
    I do like the choice of the SONY STR-DA4ES receiver, it has enough power and the current most decoding schemes to last you for quite awhile.
    As for a DVD, a nice affordable unit is the Panasonic RP-82. It has progressive scan ability for that future HD television.
    I do not want to comment on the RBH's, as I have never listened to them before. Everyone has a different appeal to audio reproduction.
    Myself, I like B&W speakers. Some that you might be interested in listening to are:
    DM601 S3 for the front left and right. I bought two the otherday for my rear centers at $385 a pair. ($450 retail)
    LCR 3 Center Channel Speaker
    DM600's or DM303's for your rear surrounds.
    You should be able to get a nice B&W package for right at $900 with five speakers.
    That puts you at about $1745 for a receiver, DVD player and five speakers. Plenty left over for a subwoofer and cables!
    You might want to check out the Velodyne or B&W subwoofers series.
    Right now is a great time to buy, as most shops are unloading their 2002 stock! Even many "upper end" stores are striking excellent deals, they also are slashing prices on their "demo" stock. The demos in upper scale stores are usually good finds, they haven't been abused like the typical BestBuy,etc.

7. Harold P

Harold P Extra

Boy.........talk about getting tired of reading :)

Narrowed it down to the following....

Sony STR-DA4ES

Energy Encore Speaker System

Probably Panasonic DVD

Prices: Sony $600.00 plus ship and Energy Encore System $950.00 plus ship.

I hope this is the end...........oh....install for $350.00.

Hopefully one last question?? Which speaker stands should I get for the Encores? Need then about 50" high in front and back.

Thanks for all the help.

Harold

8. Brian Johnson

Brian Johnson Supporting Actor

$350 to install that? I'm in the wrong line of work....[​IMG]
    Anyways, I see you are reading up on different setups...etc
    Do you really need the high end/high priced equipment?
    This seems like a "spur of the moment" decision. You may want to research & research a lot more before dropping two grand. (unless two grand doesnt mean that much to you)

9. Darren Mortensen

Harold,
    Looks like you have settled for a nice system. As for the install. I believe this is something you can do on your own. Especially with that particular set up. The manuals these days are very user (layman) friendly with lots of large diagrams to follow with individual sections pertaining to the customers needs: ex: receiver to tv, receiver to dvd, etc... But some people would just rather have an "expert" do the hook up due to physical limitations or lack of experience.
    But if you can do this, try it first...you know you an always come here for questions, then if all else fails call in the "expert" and pad his wallet[​IMG] hummmm...for $350 I could probably fly to NJ after the Holidays round trip, you meet me at the airport and ......nahhhh....just a thought![​IMG]

10. Harold P

Harold P Extra

I could be wrong, but does the speaker package come with wiring, etc.

If it doesn't, then perhaps the $350.00 is well spent? If it comes with wiring etc., then I could try it myself.

Darren....thanks.

Anyone know about the wiring, or would I have to buy myself?

Harold

11. Darren Mortensen

HArold,

Most upscale speakers do not include wires. The cheaper units sometimes include short runs of very small gauge wiring. The Sony should arrive with a couple basic cables, usually a combo a/v cable for L and R audio and composite video...the cable usually has red, white and yellow RCA connections and is 2-3 feet in length. Is the $350 just labor...or labor and connections...or are you just talking $350 for the cables and wiring and install yourself?

12. Harold P

Harold P Extra

Darren,

The fellow said that he had the wiring and would run it under rugs or outside the house (bi-level, w/4 ft. block base)and do all the conections. I asked how much and he said he'd do the complete job for $350.00.

Good or not.

Thanks.

Harold