1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Ok, Cone Tweeters suck! Will it screw up my speakers if I replace them?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by NathanP, Feb 7, 2002.

1. NathanP

NathanP Supporting Actor

I've got some Sony & Kenwood 3 way tower speakers for my HT (see my long-needed-to-be-updated website for more details).

That serve me very well and I'm very much in love with them.

Now, the cone tweeters are *ok* and pretty un-noticed with movies, but in music, they suck.

I was listening to some Pavorotti (I like opera) a few days ago and when Lucino got up high, my tweeters started sounding really funky and terrible.

So, I'm thinking of buying 5 tweeters (fronts,rears,center) from parts express and putting them in there..

Question is: Will it make my speakers sound bad considering the crossover is for cone tweets?

A buddy of mine has a membership to Parts Express, so cost would be cheap.

Thanks!

Nathan

2. Duncan Barth

Duncan Barth Stunt Coordinator

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the way I understand it, what you want to do would be quite hard.

Crossover networks have to be designed with specific drivers and enclousures in mind. The crossover in your existing speakers was designed with the frequency response, sensitivity, impedance, etc. of your existing tweeters in mind.

By changing the tweeter, you'll probably make the system sound even worse than it does now.

If you *really* want to swap in a new tweeter, you'll probably have to redesign the crossover as well. And if you're doing that, you're 90% of the way towards building new speakers anyway.

3. Ryan T

Ryan T Second Unit

Jack
    I have a dealer account with Parts Express not a "Membership". I told Nathan the same thing that Duncan said. I guess he just wanted to hear what you guys thought about it. I asked the same question when I first signed up here. http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=12373
    Then I sold the speakers to Nathan and bought some Paradigm titans[​IMG].
    Ryan

4. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

HAHAHAHA, good research Jack [​IMG]
    Take your own advice Nathan!

5. Bill Lucas

Bill Lucas Supporting Actor

I'd be pretty surprised if male vocals were reproduced by your tweeter. More likely it's the midrange driver. How loud were you playing the music? At high volumes speakers will compress and break up if they can't play as loud as you would like. Every speaker has a maximum SPL that it will play. Sony and Pioneer speakers are not known to be built with high quality parts so the likelihood of this happening is high.

6. NathanP

NathanP Supporting Actor

I'd really like to replce my speakers, thing is, I'm really hung up on having tower speakers.

Call it an attitude problem if you wish.

MUST HAVE TOWER SPEAKERS!

7. NathanP

NathanP Supporting Actor

8. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

To me, tweeters are like frosting on a cake, with the woofers/midwoofers being the layers of cake itself.

The tweeters make the cake 'sweet' or not.

Do this for a test: just play some music, but disconnect the woofer/midwoofer from the speaker, and just listen to the tweeters. If you do this, you'll ask yourself what is the big deal about tweeters. The bulk of music intelligibility is in the midwoofers.

9. NathanP

NathanP Supporting Actor

Sorry to disagree Patrick, but to me tweets are everything.

Why do you think Paradigm,B&W, and other higher end speaker companies focus on the tweeter?

10. NathanP

NathanP Supporting Actor

Wait Patrick..

Did you say the tweeters or midrange-bass were the most important thing in the speaker?

If you said tweeters, then I misread and I believe an apology is in order.

11. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

I too agree with Jack and Pat. I, along with Hank Frankenberg, am designing a Bose Beater system that uses 3.5" full range drivers. Their frequency response states ~ 90-20KHz. While they may not get all the way out to 20KHz I do not notice anything "missing" other than maybe the absolute highest of notes. But I have already confirmed with my Stryke disc that I cannot hear much past 17-18KHz anyway. Using them for nearfield listening at my computer the sound is absolutely stunning for such a small driver, IMHO. If you have a low powered receiver they make killer computer speakers as well as nice little HT speakers too.

I think great vocals and an unoffending highend is where it's at!

Brian

12. NathanP

NathanP Supporting Actor

13. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

14. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

"I know it sounds a bit foolish"

As usual.Just do what you want and do not listen to any advice,thats how you tend to do things anyway.If you want good advice,quit wasting money on silly little things,save up and get a good set of matching speakers.With all the money you claim to make you should be able to outdo 99% of this forums members in no time.

15. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

16. NathanP

NathanP Supporting Actor

17. NathanP

NathanP Supporting Actor

Ohhhh, I see..

You guys are saying that it's my mid-range, not my tweeter..

Hmm. I'm okay with the mid-range in my speakers. It's the tweeter that seems to be the problem.