What's new

Ok, Been awhile now... ANY news on "The Uninvited" or "The Haunting"...??? (1 Viewer)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I Did search threads and it's been several months, so just curious... Any news???
These are my 2 FAVORITE ghosties and they are both LONG overdue. My VHS' (No laser here... :frowning: ) are getting a bit creaky...
:) Dave

James Reader

Screenwriter
The haunting was mentioned on the leaked R2 Warners list.
Based on the first few months of the list and the titles just officially announced I'm inclined to belive that the list was genuine.
So I would expect a R2 and R1 version to be released sometime in 2003!

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
Since this would be the 40th anniversary in 2003, it'd be very appropriate indeed.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I haven't heard a thing regarding The Haunting. Are there any links available? This is one of my most-coveted films. Thanks.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Taken as a double-bill, the films epitomize the very, very best in Hollywood horror - psychological horror, that is. The Haunting (shot in Panavision) is a wonder to behold in these modern times. Wise is one of Cinema's most undervalued filmmakers - he is a master of composition and forthright narrative. He is very much like Howard Hawks in this regard. I love his best movies. The Sand Pebbles is a great anti-War film.
Lewis Allen's, The Univited, is as pure a psychological horror film that you'll ever see. A SE DVD edition would make my day! Ray Milland was a GREAT actor. The Lost Weekend... oh! Stunning performance. Even in Corman's, X: The Man With The X-Ray Eyes, he uses his natural neurosis to devastating effect. I can't believe that he is overlooked today. A great actor and a great man.
I look forward to seeing these films on DVD.
Thanks to Jay! :)
Gordy

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Lewis Allen's, The Univited, is as pure a psychological horror film that you'll ever see. A SE DVD edition would make my day! Ray Milland was a GREAT actor
This Post is about "The Uninvited".

I was watching my LD a few days ago. I thought afterward that it is a shame this is not on DVD. Then I remembered...
[rant]Universal owns this & as far as I'm concerned Universal can't find its derriere with both hands.[/rant]...My big hope is that the new NBC/GE management team will release films like this one. And I join with Gordon in hoping for a nice SE.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
re: Universals Derriere

i agree that Universal has not been good when it comes to selecting which catalog titles merit release on dvd.
this has been true for the last several years.

But i am going to start being optimistic for a couple reasons.

1) the sale is now final and that cloud that had been hanging over day to day operations is now gone.
i'm sure that current management there nows that Universal has been missing the boat and they will be eager to play catch up eventually
2) i was in Best Buy yesterday and they had about 9 copies of the Monster movies left-that was between the 3 different titles and they were all sold out of Wolfman, and the boxed sets w/ the busts.
i've heard similar from other people in other parts of the country.
Universal can't help but see the sales on these and finally get a clue.
if they don't output more in the last 1/2 of this yr, i will definitely be expecting a much more concerted effort, in this direction of their catalog at least, for next year.

i'm also expecting they will be happy/surprised at the sale of the noirs, although probably not to the levels of the monster titles- so i will be expecting more movement in that area as well next yr.

i think they are do to turn the corner pretty soon-

BTW- i would LOVE to see the Uninvited show up on disc.
i used to have a mad crush on Gail Russell and she is sadly underrepresented on this format (as is Milland)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Two years later and we have The Haunting on DVD but still no sign of 1944's 'THE UNINVITED'.
There are not many horror films that can be considered true classics, but this is definitely one of them. I'd really like to see it released soon. It's a shame that in a reinvented genre overflooded with cheap b-grade schmaltz and over the top exploitation flicks, buried gems such as this are still unavailable. Has there since been any rumor or mention of it's release and does anyone have any recent information regarding this title?
:confused:

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
No, except I taped a good copy off of TCM recently; thank goodness they run the film reasonably often.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks