Ok all you Linux Gurus

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Catherall, May 28, 2002.

1. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

I'm a Linux newbie. I installed Linux (Mandrake 8.1) a few months ago on a second partition. I've been using LiLo to boot into either Windows or Linux and have been having no problems with either. It's been working great. I've been slowly learning Linux and having quite a bit of fun with it.
    However, a few days ago I installed some Windows software that really screwed up my Windows OS (Win98SE) so I just ran the Windows setup disk and fixed things. No problem...everything back to normal. Except it overwrote the master boot record and no longer booted into LiLo.
    So there was no way (that I knew of) to get into Linux. So I reran the Linux setup hoping it would give me the option of just installing the Linux bootloader. Unfortunately it took me through the entire installation process and I ended up completely reformating the Linux partition and reinstalling everything. All the changes/updates I had made are now gone and I have to start all over. The windows partition is still fine.
    Not really too much of a big deal because I'm willing to take some chances and make some mistakes as I learn...but is there anyway to avoid this in the future? How can I reinstall the bootloader without overwriting the entire Linux install?

2. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

When you install Linux it should have gone through a stage where it creates a boot floppy. Keep the floppy. [​IMG]

3. Rob Speicher

Rob Speicher Supporting Actor

4. Craig LeBlanc

Craig LeBlanc Stunt Coordinator

You could always download a generic kernel and dump it onto a DOS boot floppy and use loadlin.exe to boot from a command line. Then again it's been 5 years since I had to use loadlin, so I don't even know if it exists anymore [​IMG]

5. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

Thanks guys. I do have a Linux boot floppy...somewhere...I think. [​IMG] I'm pretty sure I created one when I first installed. I just didn't think it would be as simple as that. I mean, I thought I was going to need the setup disks anyway so I just booted from those. Hmm...live and learn I guess. [​IMG]
    I'll make sure I can still find that floppy, if not I'll make a new one tonight...just in case.