ok a few questions about my new tv...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John-Miles, Jul 8, 2002.

1. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Hmmmm didn't take long for me to be running here with questions. Toshiba 36 HFX71

one question is more or less dealing with cable companies, the signal going to my tv has been split many times already byt he cable company, and as a result i am finding a grainy picture.

as well i run my cable feed through my VCR and then into my tv (like i did with my old tv) and with my vcr off (sleep mode) using my tv's tuner i can only get up to channel 13...... this seems very wrong, am i missing some settign here?

2. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

Basically, the Tosh is showing you what a crappy picture you're getting from cable. I recommend going satellite.

The second question, I can't answer.

Jan

3. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

You need to make sure the TV knows it's looking for CATV input and not Antenna or (ANT) input. 13 is the end of the VHF spectrum.

4. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Thanks Jan, Joel, i found the problem the tv was set to tv mode not cable.

and yeah with such a beautiful dvd pic i guess the limitations of cable become more readily apparent

5. Michael Cook

Michael Cook Stunt Coordinator

I wouldn't go through the vcr either. Try hooking your cable straight to the TV for a better picture.

6. BruceSpielbauer

BruceSpielbauer Second Unit

To add to what some of the others have said...

Check the TV, see if it has a jack for what is sometimes called "Monitor OUT" or "Loop Out" or "AUDIO / Video Out." IF it has any variation on this, you can usually run your cable directly into the TV, and then run FROM the TV into that VCR. This may improve your cable signal a bit, and still allow you to tape anything from cable.

Next... go to Radio Shack, and buy one of their "in-line signal amps" for Cable TV signals. It is a small device, made to try to boost a signal which has been split too many times. It improved my picture by (perhaps) as much as 20% to 30%, and made it "watchable" on a 65 inch RPTV. IF it does not work at all, you cannot see any improvement, you should be able to return it. Keep receipt.

-Bruce

7. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

thanks bruce i will try that