Ok 32" Toshiba or 27" Sony Wega?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Allen Longcor, Dec 14, 2001.

1. Allen Longcor

Allen Longcor Supporting Actor

I'm looking at getting either a Toshiba 32" (32A61) or a Sony 27" Wega. The pros of the Toshiba are that it is a larger screen, I think it has a better picture quality than the Sony, and it's black hehe. The cons are that it doesn't fit my current entertainment center so I would have to get a new one. The Sony's pros are the 16:9 enhanced mode (haven't got to see it in action though) and the flat screen. The cons are that it is a smaller screen and the picture isn't quite as good as the Toshiba imo. So should I go with the Tosh and buy a new entertainment center, or should I go with the Sony and buy just an audio rack for my components. As a side note my Polk CS400i center channel came today and it's one bad mother! Thing weighs a lot but I can't wait to test it out.

2. TylerZ

TylerZ Stunt Coordinator

IMO you'd be better off with the larger screen, especially when you watch a leterbox DVD. Depending on how far you are sitting from the screen the letterbox image will be pretty small on a 27" set. FYI, I have a year old 36AX61 and am very happy with it. And congrats on the 400i, it's a very good sounding center.

3. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

Allen, have you considered the 32" JVC D-series? It's picture is absolutely gorgeous! It's not flat screen, but it's close enough. Oh yeah, it comes in gray OR black!
    Here's a link to it at Crutchfield!

4. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    The difference between 27" and 32" is huge. It is well worth buying (or better yet building) a new entertainment center to take advantage of a bigger screen.

5. Alf S

Alf S Banned
    BANNED

Alfer
    Go for the bigger screen and better picture!

Alfer

6. Seth T

Seth T Stunt Coordinator

I'd go for the Toshiba. When I bought my 32" 5 years ago, it had the best picture out of all the ones around it, and I couldn't justify the extra $200 for a 35". They were sitting side by side, and the difference was too tiny.

I too had to go buy a new entertainment center, but, that's life. I took my time shopping around, and really like the one I ended up with.

-Seth

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Though th 27" WEGA will have a smaller viewing area, it will have a better picture. Smaller screens keep the image tighter. In this case, you have to decide whether image quality or screen size is more important to you.

Toshibas have a good picture, as do the Panasonic Taus. I would consider one of them for a better price than the WEGAS (I have both a 32" WEGA and a 27" Tau, and the Panny has better color and picture)

8. Allen Longcor

Allen Longcor Supporting Actor

I think I will go with the Toshiba because it does have a better picture and in the long run the larger screen will be nice. Thanks for all the input guys.

9. Ruben Zamora

Ruben Zamora Stunt Coordinator

My uncle just bought a 27" SOny WEGA and IMO the picture aint too hott. My 2yr old 32" TOSHIBA kicks its A$$

10. Dan_Jones

Dan_Jones Stunt Coordinator

I have the 32" Toshiba 32A60 and love it. Go for the 32A61!

11. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

OK, so we can always use one more opinion, right? :)

The choice is tough because the smaller TV has the widescreen (vertical compression) mode, and the larger one does not. So, the small one will show a 16:9 movie with 480 scan lines, and the bigger one will show it with you-do-the-math (320?). Thus, the smaller TVs picture is superior.

If you can possibly sit close enough to the smaller TV, it is clearly the choice. But, if there will be a lot of people watching, then, despite the quality of its picture, the smaller one may simply not be big enough.

If you watch few anamorphic DVDs (which is the only case when the widescreen mode comes into play), then all my figuring above doesn't matter, and the bigger TV would probably be the better choice.

(I bought a spare TV for DVD watching and got a 27" because of its widescreen mode, and wouldn't have considered a TV without it, for my purpose.)

12. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John