What's new

Oily spots? Not sure what they are.... (1 Viewer)

Justin_si

Auditioning
Anyone that has any idea what I'm talking about, any help would be appreciated. My RPTV has got what appears to be oil or water marks running down the screen in various spots. There aren't any discernable shapes (logos, lines, etc.) so I'm not sure if this is burn-in or what. They are only noticeable during a dark scene or if dark colors are on the screen. Does anyone have any suggestions, or any ideas what this is? Thank you in advance.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Justin,
Welcome to the forum.
You didn't say when you see this. All the time? Or only when displaying DVDs?
If you see it all the time, then try to find out if it's also there when you have NO channel connected, in which case it's the probably TV itself causing it.
In all other cases, the source of the image may be suspect. What are you using for source - S-Video or composite (or component?).
If you see this phenomenon only when viewing DVDs (or VHS or cable transmissions), you'll have to check the video cable coming from that source first. Try using another cable (preferably the one from a source that doesn't exhibit the symptoms). Don't bother to buy an expensive video cable yet! Just try to find out what influences the error.
Now apart from a very poor cable (again: a "better" cable doesn't have to be a very expensive one, and certainly not in this stage of your research) it may be caused by a ground-loop.
Think about your circuitry. The video cable goes from your receiver to your TV. Is there any signal cable (audio included) that goes from your TV to a machine that's connected to your DVD player? In that case, first break the loop (e.g. disconnect an audio cable going from your TV to your receiver). Does that alter the picture? If yes (and if it's for better :) ), there's the cause. The solution is a little less simple if you don't want to disconnect and reconnect a cable all the time.
Good cables (again: not necessary expensive ones), having ground connected on one side only (often recognizeable by a "direction" indication) are a good start.
Furthermore, see if all your equipment is connected to the same power outlet (and the same earth!). Preferably, it should be, to prevent possible ground- and phase problems.
Anyway: some work to do!
Good luck! Please let us know.
Cees

Bill_Weinreich

Second Unit
Justin,
Another thing to consider is that maybe there is physically something on the screen. Cleaners or other liquids may have gotten in between the different layers of the screen (Protective screen, image screen, and fresnel(sp?) lens). If you feel up to it and all signal related problems are eliminated, then a good cleaning may be in order. Remove the front screens and clean them with a mild cleaning solution and soft rags (No window cleaner or paper towels, They can scratch the plastic). While its appart, the mirror and CRTs should be cleaned along with vacuuming the dust from the cabinet. Its not that hard of a process but be carefull because all these parts are sensitve and can be scratched or knocked out of alignment.

Good Luck,
Bill

Justin_si

Auditioning
Thank you both!
Cees - It appears on whatever I'm watching. It shows up when the TV is off as well (although you really have to look for it). I'm guessing that it isn't anything electronically related.

Bill - My TV doesn't have a protective screen on it. Are you talking about removing the actual screen? How would I go about doing this? It's the Panny that everyone seems to love. Would doing any of this void my warranty?

Just fyi for both, I've only had it for about two weeks now. I just noticed this in the past couple of days. All my contrast, picture, and brightness settings have been turned wayyyy down as well.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Justin,

If you see it as well when the TV is off, it's certainly not in the signal.

If you don't have a protective screen, all you can do is try to clean the surface of the screen. Look inside the manual, does it give instructions for that?

Cees

Justin_si

Auditioning
I tried to clean on the outside but it didn't seem to work. The spots still remained. I don't think it has any instructions as to removing the screen. It only seems to talk about how/what to clean with.

Bill_Weinreich

Second Unit
Removing the front screen varies from set to set, but usually there is a snap in frame surrounding the screen. These can break easilly if not careful. With that out of the way, the screen should be held in place with a frame that is screwed in. I must urge, IF YOU DONT FEEL COMFORTIBLE DOING THIS THEN DONT !! Major damage could occur. A local repair shop may be the best option or even check your warranty. Some extended coverages include periodic cleanings.
Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks