What's new

ohms? what ohms? (1 Viewer)

Nick_meistro

Auditioning
I just got seriously interested in home theater and decided to buy a sony 3-peice speaker set (center and surrounds) for 100 dollars. Those will accompany my JBL arc 30 speakers that i have been using for music for about 6 months now. i have a sherwood 4060r receiver that my mother bought me about a year ago...she doesnt know as much as she thinks about eletronics...and on the back of it, where it says to connect the rear speakers, it has in parentheses "4 ohms" instead of 8. i do know quite a bit about eletronics, and i know what that means, but im wondering why they would say to use 4 ohm rear speakers...when i havnt been able to find any. do i just have a outdated receiver? or can i use my 8 ohm speakers with it. i dont want to blow anything up...so ive waited to connect anything. thanks for your help.
(p.s. im only 15, and i dont have a whole lot of dough to spend on nice equipment)

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Your 8ohm speakers will require the receiver to deliver less current (vs. 4ohm speakers). In other words, you will have no problem hooking up 8ohm speakers. The "4 ohm" label probably refers to the minimum speaker impedance that the receiver can drive...

Nick_meistro

Auditioning
Thanks for your help...also i am trying to talk my mom into buying an hdtv...ive read a lot of reviews, but im still undecided. is sony's 43'' projection monitor ok? thanks again...

I would stay away from the sony. The best ones for picture quality are the Mitsubishi (once you get rid of red push) and the Pioneer Elite. The best for price and out of box performance is either Panasonic or Toshiba

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks